Potentially exposed cats to Panleukopenia

bethybg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two twin DSH cats that are approximately 15 months old. They received their kitten vaccinations but I had entirely forgotten to get them in for their one year vaccines, which were due in September according to the vet. On Friday I visited the local shelter with one of my co-workers and noticed a small cat there who appeared to be very sick (water and food bowls full, even though the other cats' bowls were empty; fur was unhealthy looking; kitten was constantly purring to comfort self; hanging head-- I had a kitten I adopted from that shelter pass away several years ago from distemper so I recognize the signs), and of course, because I can't handle a suffering cat I put my hand through and stroked it's face trying to comfort it. 

I sanitized my hands repeatedly, and stepped in the bleach box on the way out (who knows if it's replaced daily, I wasn't particularly impressed with the cleanliness nor the employees of the shelter...). However, I'm still concerned that I may have, and likely did, expose my cats to distemper. 

Can anyone tell me what the likelihood of contraction is when my have received their kitten vaccines? How soon would an infected cat show symptoms? Should I be panicking? 

They are scheduled to receive their one year vaccines on Monday, and I'll have the vet check them out. 

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The incubation period of Feline Distemper is 3-10 days.  It sounds like you took all precautions after you touched the kitty so I'm thinking your kitties *should* be okay.  Since they have had their kittens series of vaccines (I'm assuming they had all 3 sets) they should have some immunity although if they had their adult shots they would have more immunity against the disease.  That being said I have worked in the field for 20+ years and have not seen it outside of shelters in older cats who have been vaccinated.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 If their last kitten shots were at 12+ weeks  they have a  good chance of being protected.  Even more so if the last shots in the kitten series were at 16 weeks or older.    ( The reason is that by then  it is likely that the maternal antibodies are no longer interfering in the ability for the kitten's own immune system to respond.)   

The booster given a year later  is to make even more sure that by then the cat's immune system can make a complete response.   That would probably be almost 100% ( i would hesitate to call anything 100% , but virtually 100% )     but if the last kitten shot was at 16+ wks ,  that would be pretty close.  

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You did everything you could and I think it tends to be more in kittens.  I can't understand a shelter leaving a kitten like that.  I can understand them not taking heroic measure to try to save the kitten but the merciful thing would've been to euthanize her.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bethybg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is all reassuring-- I really appreciate it! So far they seem perfectly healthy and normal. I believe they had their some shots when they were spayed, but I'm not 100% sure they did any other than rabies. 

I agree Denice-- I couldn't figure out whether or not they just hadn't noticed how sick the poor baby was, or simply didn't care. They were the most apathetic group of employees I've ever interacted with. The thing I keep thinking about is that there was a very active, lovely, adorable kitten in the cage right next to the ill one. He would run around his litter box and attack the other kitten's paw when he put them out. I'm really bothered about it. 

My goal in life is to eventually make enough money to run a non-profit no-kill cat sanctuary... Our state is incredibly anti-pet for renters; my mother, who is from the midwest, says she's never lived anywhere as non-pet friendly as here. It causes a very high rate of animal surrenders and very low adoption rates. Unfortunately because it is also home to two universities there is also an extremely high rate of ferals because students adopt kittens then let them loose at the end of the semester. It's awful.