Potentially dumb question

dogperson2cats

Dog person but has cats for some reason
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can a cat who potentially has feline HIV live with other cats? My moms cat, whom we've had for a few years and rescued from the streets has a condition called "Pillow foot" and the vet said it's a sign of HIV. But, since the two cats (mine and hers) live together no issue, I figured it was fine.

However, my mom recently told me "she didn't feel like" spending the money to get him tested because if he was positive, she'd just put him down and of course, she didn't want that. Mind you, aside from tender, swollen feet, the cat is 100% fine and normal. My concerns involve my almost 10YO cat who has always been more fragile.

I always worry he'll hurt her; and if he has anything, it'll be passed on. Three years later, things are fine but of course, I am going to worry.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FIV isn't very contagious. It's spread through deep bites and sexual contact, not casual exposure. There is a small chance of transmission but it is quite small if the cats get along. If she hasn't gotten it in 3 years she probably isn't going to get it now.

MyTabbyKittyCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From what I've heard FIV is contagious to other cats but not contagious at all to people. It's generally not recommended to have other cats around a positive cat as it could spread, however I've also heard that if they're spayed & neutered the chances of it spreading is less likely unless they were to fight. The shelter I helped with kept them separated to make sure it didn't potentially spread at all. If he does have it he should get vet care to ensure he does not get sick though. They can live pretty normal lives with it I think but they should see a vet so they get treatment if needed. It can't be cured but the vet can keep them healthy assuming it's not turned into cancer. I'd discuss it with a vet and get their advice as they know more than anyone else would.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dogperson2cats

Dog person but has cats for some reason
Adult Cat
Purraise
FIV isn't very contagious. It's spread through deep bites and sexual contact, not casual exposure. There is a small chance of transmission but it is quite small if the cats get along. If she hasn't gotten it in 3 years she probably isn't going to get it now.
I was thinking the same thing but you know how it is when one of our babies is older/more fragile...you wanna bubble wrap them lol.

Though I am a little salty that she's admitted to refusing care for him; even the $80 medicine that would make his paws feel better. I know I am struggling right now since I lost my job but I'm still looking out for my cat.

Nice to see a name I recognize, though! I believe we met on a post where I needed support to convince my mom NOT to declaw her cat? She has not and has given up trying! (For now.)