Potential Problems With New Kitten

Ollie&mylasmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! So 3 to 3.5 weeks ago I found a small kitten outside, shes an orange tabby. Shes now around 8 or 9 weeks. I have an older cat named Oliver who's about 3 years old and they get along really well now that I have gotten them used to each other. Now my kitten was using the litter box just fine. But I've had two instances of the last three days where she has pooped on a pillow period and peed on a pile of laundry. Now I could find reasons why she didn't go to the litter box. Like the night she pooped on the pillow the dog was sleeping in the kitchen and she might have been afraid to go to the litter box maybe? Its just not uncommon for the dog to be inside. Maybe she thought the pillow was good to dig.

This time around she peed on a pile of laundry I went to the litter box and it looks like the door was caught on it maybe she couldn't get in. I'm going to watch her the next few days and see if she doesn't anymore.

I guess I am mainly freaking out incase its a continued problem. Im moving in three weeks and dont want her to be doing this at the new place. Im probably just over reacting but i thought i would just see if any one has an opinion.
Snapchat-922670428.jpg
20180717_175954.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Congrats on the new kitten. :bouquet: She's adorable. As is Oliver. They look like they could be parent and child. :catlove:

About her litter box accidents, she's still very young, so not totally unexpected. But at the same time, as you mentioned, you definitely don't want it to become a habit.

First off, make sure you get the urine scent out of anything she peed on. If she can still smell her scent, she is likely to pee there again. And enzyme cleaner is the only type that will totally remove the scent. Here's a couple articles with more info.

How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home
How To Get Cat Urine Smell Out Of Carpet: Effective, Non-toxic Solutions
How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens

Secondly, do make sure she has access to the litter box at all times. And make sure it is in a spot where she feels safe. In fact, especially while she's young, try to put down one or 2 more litter boxes, so that she is always close to one. Actually, with 2 cats, the recommended number of litters boxes is three - one for each cat, plus one.

Here's a couple more articles on litter boxes issues. Fingers crossed for no more litter box accidents. :crossfingers:

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litter Box Location Secrets
How Many Litterboxes Should You Have?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Pile of laundry" is probably the #2 spot for accidents after bedsheets. And it would probably be #1 but its less commonly accessible. Don't leave laundry accessible. Beyond that, +1 to the stuff Rubysmama said.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ollie&mylasmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! Ive never had a kitten before so im just trying to figure it all out! I put down another littler box. Hope it helps!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It should! Usually kittens aren't too difficult with this. Just watch her on the bed and if you spot her scratching like she is in a litterbox try to beat her to the punch. Because a kitten that just went on the laundry is a sure risk for an accident on the bed! Bed covers/laundry both smells like you (some mention this) and can can be kneaded beneath the claws like litter (I think this is the bigger issue). I've had problems in the past with bath mats (the ones like little carpets, not rubber), and just random things on the floor made of fabric like a pile of stuffed animals or a soft toddler chair. It wouldn't hurt to do a look around and think like a kitten :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise