Potential New Kitty Mom

AnnieS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so grateful to have found this site!!!
I am in the process of adopting 2 kittens. But I have severe anxiety and I see that I am in familiar territory. Over the past 15 years I have wanted a cat, but I moved flats almost every year so it was impractical and would have been so unfair on kitty.
So i decided to wait, 2 years ago I bought my own little townhouse with a garden.
I decided a cat would be a perfect companion.
I have filled in the adoption papers for a cat twice now, but have a panic attack at the last minute and pull out.
I always feel regret after the relief. About 2 months later I am searching again.
I found a beautiful kitten 2 days ago, and the rescue society has suggested that I take 2 kittens so that they can keep each other company.
Again the anxiety has kicked in and I am stressing about the next 10years and if I can cope with the change and adjustment, and it is so frustrating because I know my thoughts are completely irrational. Heres why:
I live in a cat filled complex, my neighbor got 2 kittens and I have known them since they were 6 months old, they are turning 2 years old in December, I am home most days, and they arrive at my door at 6am, they come in and i love them, give them water and if I have some snacks they will have that. Then they explore till 10am, and come back and find a place to sleep all day, till they go home at 6pm for dinner. So they are with me for 12 hours everyday.
My other neighbor had a 17year old boy, that decided their new kitten was to much for him so he moved in for 6months till he passed away last year. I fed him, and he stayed with me 24hrs a day till he died.
But i suppose in the above they are not mine, so the fear of commitment is eliminated.
Now that my papers are in, I feel sick with worry over if I am doing the right thing, and about the future, if I ever move or change my circumstances, even though I have no intention of doing so. I am sitting on my couch in the quiet of the evening, and imagining all my furniture being ruined, or kittens pooing on my bed, or coming home from work on the days I do work, and finding vomit. And if that is something I should deal with.
I have no idea if I should go through with an adoption or not. But I feel terrible about keeping applying and then backing out all the time. I read that perhaps I should meet the 2 kittens before I decide, so help ease my mind.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
fd7445a8082591feec2da4bf0c2396de.gif
AnnieS, on behalf of The Catsite, warm
IMG_3117.GIF
to you.

So glad that you’ve joined this site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Thank you for considering adopting. These felines at the shelters need a warm and fur-ever loving home. You can do them a great favor by doing that.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!rum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Glad you found us. Folks here will support/encourage/advise you on most every aspect of cat "parenting".

Since this is the "welcome" forum, not as many members read it, as some of the other forums. So perhaps you could start another thread in the Cat Behavior so you'll get more views and replies.

One thing that came to my mind as I read your post, is if you adopt your own cats, you may not be able to continue letting your neighbour's cats into your place. Cats are territorial, and it's likely they would not get along with your cats.

Good luck.

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There was a recent thread by someone with anxiety issues who adopted a cat ("Hello from Gracie and her anxious human"). If you haven't looked at it yet, it may give you some insight. Obviously, every situation and person is different but it may give you some things to consider.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi AnnieS and welcome to the forum !

Well, yes, kittens come with mandatory long-term commitments.....and, they can be quite demanding on one's patience quotient!

On the other hand, there are the cats like the 17 year-old boy - who you basically fostered.

You know, there are shelters and rescues that are just crying for foster homes (as well as adopters) for senior kitties............

An easier consideration, maybe.......?