Potbellied kitten

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some people in the street were giving this kitten, according to them 15 weeks old, away including all of his belongings..:censored: I of course had to step in.
He had a few fleas and was very potbellied, so I dewormed and deflead him. This all happened last Saturday, but he remains potbellied.
He's very alert, eating and playing, has a little diarrhea still but one 💩 was nice and firm today.
What other than worms could explain his roundness?
IMG_20220922_170758.jpg
IMG_20220922_170829.jpg
IMG_20220922_170913.jpg
IMG_20220922_170832.jpg
IMG_20220922_171025.jpg
IMG_20220922_171318.jpg IMG_20220922_171319.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The dewormer I use is the proper dewormer. It tackles everything.

My own opinion is he's stunted in his growth and he needs to grow into his belly. I just wanted to see what others thought, if someone perhaps had seen it before.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
If there aren't parasites involved, I wonder if he was a little constipated. If so, hopefully over the next day or so, he continues with good poops and the roundness decreases. However, if not, you'll definitely want to have him seen by a vet.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The dewormer I use is the proper dewormer. It tackles everything.

My own opinion is he's stunted in his growth and he needs to grow into his belly. I just wanted to see what others thought, if someone perhaps had seen it before.
You asked my thoughts. His belly looks distended to me similar to having parasites.
My understanding is standard OTC dewormers will not treat coccidia, giarda nor tapeworms hence why I suggested seeing your vet to be sure he doesn't need another mediation.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Perhaps more than one dose of the dewormer is needed? Or, as mentioned above, it is a parasite that the broad-spectrum dewormers aren't intended for. It is a good sign about his poop firming up, so the potbelly might be related to another type of parasite, or something else altogether.

He really should be checked over by a vet regardless. I am guessing since he was being given away the likelihood is that he has not seen a vet yet.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for taking him in. He reminds me SO much of a tuxedo that showed up at my laundry room! Fortunately a really lovely family adopted him the day I got little Spats Mahoney Jr. to the shelter. (Couldn’t help naming him!).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He's been named Snoopy and he is quite the character. Full of spunk and sass. He takes on a full grown (neutered) tomcat, just grabs him, then he runs off kitten style, arched back and sideways. It's hilarious. Tiny but mighty
He was given the first round of new dewormer yesterday and already his belly is softer.