Post-Urinary Blockage Urination Problem

cappie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

My 2 year old male cat recently had a urinary blockage.  He came home from the vet on Wednesday evening after a 2 night vet stay.  He is on antibiotics and a urethra relaxer.  My issue is that he has been peeing outside of the litter box.  It started just in the shower but now he is peeing and spraying on clothes, the carpet, and walls.  He still does go into the litter box to use that as well.  He was on a prescription wet food for the first few days after he came home but he wasn't really eating it so I switched him back to his regular wet food.  I would call the vet but it is not open today.  Why is he doing this, and how can I get him to stop?  (I am cleaning the areas thoroughly so that he does not return to them).

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are you cleaning the areas where he is peeing with an enzymatic cleaner?  If not, it won't really do any good.  Even if YOU thing it's plenty clean and can't smell anything, you can bet HE can still smell it and thinks it's ok to urinate there since it smells like urine to him. 

Additionally, it is full on puddles of pee, or just dribbles. My understanding is that after catheterization, cats might dribble for awhile

Since he actually blocked, it's probably worth it to try him on a different prescription food.  Different manufacturers make different foods for that issue, and maybe he might find something else more palatable.