Post Urinary blockage food.

mzalisakay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is odd that your vet said that about raw food, but I'm not surprised. I was trying to tell my vets that we feed them good quality dry foods (Canidae, NVI LID, etc.) because no by products, no grains, blah blah blah. Vet tech said she'll ONLY feed Science Diet, Purina, or Royal Canin because they are the only ones who do scientific studies on what's appropriate or something or another for pets. I felt like I wanted to take my cat from them and run.

Just from switching over to 100% wet and eventually mixing in a lot of commercial raw has gotten mine into tip top shape. He's peeing a lot, eating well, coat has gotten better, playful, affectionate, etc. And an added bonus, since we just went 100% raw about 3 days ago, his poop is better, lol. He was only ever partially blocked. No crystals and his PH levels were normal. So I didn't have such a hill to climb with him. My other cat has a skin/fur problem that I'm hoping raw will help with as well.

Good luck though. I was in your position 2-3 weeks ago, trying to figure out what canned food is best, what brand, how much water to add, what temperature of water, how much should I feed them, raw food, commercial raw, what brand of commercial or maybe homemade, oh wait, freeze dried.... 

reikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

That is odd that your vet said that about raw food, but I'm not surprised. I was trying to tell my vets that we feed them good quality dry foods (Canidae, NVI LID, etc.) because no by products, no grains, blah blah blah. Vet tech said she'll ONLY feed Science Diet, Purina, or Royal Canin because they are the only ones who do scientific studies on what's appropriate or something or another for pets. I felt like I wanted to take my cat from them and run.
Your vet was probably referring to the AAFCO statement that is on all cat food.

Most bags of cat food state something along the lines of "This food is formulated to meet the dietary standards". This means all the min. requirements for cat food have been met in the batch that was tested for values. But no testing was done on the food and the cat.

Purina and I'm assuming Science Diet and Royal Canin says something along the lines of "This is tested to meet the dietary standards." Which means it meets the requirement and it was tested on cats some how. 

So essentially any food that doesn't say that it is tested then it's experiment on your cat. I was told it was best to have the test statement, but any food you feed needs to have the formulated statement.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eaumond

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had to take Orion in yesterday because we were terrified he got blocked again. After they expressed his bladder he felt much better. I'm getting extra paranoid about it but I'm sure most cat mom's who fur baby has had these problems do. I was mixing the royal canin and got some evo chicken turkey formula. They told me to stick with just royal until he's all better.. I just feel weird about giving him so much by product. :/

chwx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The prescription will be useless unless it's fed exclusively, this includes no treats. Sounds like it's your best bet atm. Byproducts are fine, a source of good nutrition that a cat would naturally eat in the wild. Hopefully you can get him healthy again but right now I'd stick with the prescription if in 2 days time he's already had a scare. There will be time at a later date to try new things. PERSONALLY, I'd be feeding him several small canned meals a day that are watered down into "soup" to keep the urine at a constant flow and keep the box extra clean to prevent him from trying to hold it.

rlavach

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We had to take Orion in yesterday because we were terrified he got blocked again. After they expressed his bladder he felt much better. I'm getting extra paranoid about it but I'm sure most cat mom's who fur baby has had these problems do. I was mixing the royal canin and got some evo chicken turkey formula. They told me to stick with just royal until he's all better.. I just feel weird about giving him so much by product. :/
As others have said, by products aren't all bad. Really, it's important to get the cat comfortable and get rid of those crystals. Many, including myself, feed the Rx food until stable and then slowly move over into a high protein, low carb all wet diet. I alternate between Hills c/d and other high quality canned. But at first, it's really important to balance out your kitty and the Rx brands do that quite effectively and quickly. 

mitziballsmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys, I have a really frustrating complication to this problem. My Humle has had dark red pee on and off for months, over 6 I believe. The vet finally found tiny little bladder stones, but says it's not necessary to remove them and simply put her on Hills urinary stress food- wet and dry. He believes it could be caused by her relatively new sister, whom she seems to love/be terrorized by. Humle's 1 1/2 and Mia is 7 months- she's just much more playful and sometimes Humle's had ENOUGH, but otherwise, they get along beautifully. I am NOT a fan of Hills/big brand prescription diets in general bc of the fillers and icky and unnecessary biproducts and want desperately to get Humle (and Mia) on a better, natural brand, but I've got to be responsible and not start experimenting too much with my poor girl's bladder.
Here's the big kicker: we live in Denmark and have seriously limited selection/availability of the "good" (natural) brands. Order them you say? Well, Denmark does this thing where the import or shipping tax can be like 40%. We do have Orijen, Acana, and maaaybe one other, but they don't make wet food and that's something I don't think I'm willing to budge on.
Any brilliant ideas to help me feed my girls healthier wet food and help Humle with her urinary stress/lil bladder stones? Any advice is so welcome!
Tak!

mitziballsmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys, I have a really frustrating complication to this problem. My Humle has had dark red pee on and off for months, over 6 I believe. The vet finally found tiny little bladder stones, but says it's not necessary to remove them and simply put her on Hills urinary stress food- wet and dry. He believes it could be caused by her relatively new sister, whom she seems to love/be terrorized by. Humle's 1 1/2 and Mia is 7 months- she's just much more playful and sometimes Humle's had ENOUGH, but otherwise, they get along beautifully. I am NOT a fan of Hills/big brand prescription diets in general bc of the fillers and icky and unnecessary biproducts and want desperately to get Humle (and Mia) on a better, natural brand, but I've got to be responsible and not start experimenting too much with my poor girl's bladder.
Here's the big kicker: we live in Denmark and have seriously limited selection/availability of the "good" (natural) brands. Order them you say? Well, Denmark does this thing where the import or shipping tax can be like 40%. We do have Orijen, Acana, and maaaybe one other, but they don't make wet food and that's something I don't think I'm willing to budge on.
Any brilliant ideas to help me feed my girls healthier wet food and help Humle with her urinary stress/lil bladder stones? Any advice is so welcome!
Tak!
Oops, they must be a tiny bit older than I'm thinking if we think Mia might be affecting Humle's stress level since Mia came to us as a 3 month old.

ankitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tak!
Home cooked food may be a good option for you. 

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/263955/helpful-resources-raw-home-cooked-cat-food-forum

I'd stick to Hill's for now though, until Humle is better, before exploring new diet. You can add water to the canned food to increase pee. Also, you can buy ph test strips to check her urine acidity. 

I hope she gets better soon. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eaumond

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I microwave the water for thirty seconds and just make the food into kinda if a broth around the food, my boy loves it. Just think water water water when it comes to food, he is doing amazing compared to when he was sick.