Post urinary blockage concerned furmamma

MrsCobraJ44

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tysm, I have a 3 year old male his name is Loki, he had a severe urinary blockage and was treated for this on Wednesday,they unblocked him and put a catheter in and removed everything yesterday and we picked him up, he's home now, only have him one pill for inflammation and pain which I just gave him and his own the other one to help him pee, but he's still going very frequently and peeing in small amounts, they said to watch him closely, which I am but I'm so stressed because I thought I was going to lose my boy, that procedure alone was 1000, we paid 500 and the vet helped with a angel fund to cover the rest, sent him home with a bag royal Cain dry and I couldn't afford the wet so I'm doing the non prescription urinary health wet food, just wondering if this is all normal after a severe blockage and if anyone else has any advice for me on this situation, I recently lost my job of 3 years so financially i can't cover another emergency and im so stressed im watching him so much im not sleeping, imo i the may need more of the pain and inflammation pills, im just worried sick!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Do you know the name of the pills they gave you? Did they give you any fluids to give to him at home? Did they figure out the cause of the obstruction? Are you able to figure out from the size of the litter clumps how much he is actually going?
The urinary catheter can cause irritation of the urethra making the cat feel like he constantly has to use the litter box. So if he is going on the box allot and producing some urine he may be fine.

I am not a vet and of course haven’t seen your cat so I am only speculating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MrsCobraJ44

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't use the clumping litter but it's varried from few drops to a small amount, no fluids were sent home and he's taking onsior for pain and inflammation took his last one today, and prazosin. They dk the cause it can be hereditary it's common in male cats and it could be stress related also.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Urinary issues ARE often stress related. Here is an article about stress in cats and ways to help with that: Stress in Cats - The Ultimate Guide - TheCatSite

Try to get him to drink as much as possible. Did you buy the OTC wet urinary food. If so, try adding a little bit of water to his food at each meal just to keep him plenty hydrated. And, if possible, try to feed more wet food than dry, again, to keep him as hydrated as possible.

One last thing. Cats are super sensitive, so he's probably picking up on your stress right now. Try to remain as calm as possible. I know that's asking a whole lot, but since stress is his enemy, you need to be strong. Try not to act any different now than usual, Give him his space. Of course, you will need to quietly observe his peeing to make sure urine is coming out, but maybe pretent to be reading a book, or doing something else while you are sneaking a peak.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MrsCobraJ44

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much, I'm letting him hang out in my room with his on litter box food water etc because i have other cats that seem to be stressing him out I'm also giving him Sentra brand calming chew to help with the anxiety and monitor him closely when he's peeing, he did put out a better amount the last 2 times he went, he's still kinda dribbling a bit but I assume that's normal being he's still very swelled and irritated down there! He is licking it a lot which is concerning also but I know a cone would really stress him out, he's on royal Cain dry which he isn't liking to much, I can't afford the wet it's 24 cans at 70 bucks, I got him the urinary health science diet and the Purina not prescription but he loves the Purina.