Post surgery drama...catfights and inappropriate urinating

mgoes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been reading through the other threads and have been trying some of the ideas, but I didn't find a solution that seems to work for our specific problem.

Almost 4 months ago, our male cat (Nummies) had to have emergency surgery for a urinary blockage. The night that he left, our female cat (Nelly), for the first time slept right between my H & I, purring happily all night. We got both Nelly and Nummies from the same shelter as kittens about 6 years ago. They are both indoor cats and have always loved each other so much.

Finally after 3 surgeries and a post op infection (and thousands of dollars!), we brought Nummies back home. Nelly just hissed at him and then attacked him viciously. Nummies has always been the quintessential scardy cat and was freaked out by Nelly's behavior. We have kept them separated, we have Feliway diffusers and the spray, we've tried the 2 litter boxes (which helps somewhat, but is a pain), and other things...but Nelly just keeps attacking Nummies.

In response the the stress of either being separated from Nelly or attacked by her, Nummies has started peeing on the couch and rugs. He has also been pulling out his fur and somehow cutting his face. It's just breaking my heart! Nelly is otherwise fine, she just wants to attack Nummies.

I just don't know what to do. My H is threatening to get rid of one of them...I can't stand the idea. Please help us find a way for our cats to at least be able to get along again and for Nummies to stop the inappropriate peeing, as well as the fur pulling.

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like they may have to be "re"introduced. (If Nummies has a clean bill of health that is. ) Maybe he was gone too long and Nelly does not remember him as the Nummies she knew. That's all I can think to do. There are others here that have much more knowledge on multiple kitty households than I. For now though, I would keep them separated. Poor Nummies has been through enough without the added stress. The "cuts" on his face are probably scratches from Nelly. Do you keep them in separate rooms when your not home?

That's what I would do. Put Nummies in a room to himself, complete with litter box, food and toys. Let them get to know each other as if you just brought Nummies home for the very first time. There are threads here on the "how to's" of introduction.

Good luck to all of you. I feel bad for both your kitties but especially Nummies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mgoes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! Thankfully Nummies is healthy again...only just nervous due to Nelly's attacks, which are probably what's causing him to do the inappropriate urination.

We've been separating them when we're not home and trying some of the reintroduction techniques. Unfortunately, just when we think Nelly isn't going to attack Nummies again, she does. He's somehow cutting his face and pulling his fur himself...it happens even when we've separated him from Nelly.

I did try the foil over the areas he's been urinating and that has seemed to keep him from doing it today. He just went to the couch where he likes to go and stared at the foil and just mewed mournfully. Hopefully he won't decide to find another spot, otherwise I'll have a foil decorated living room.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!!

I don't know exactly what you've tried to do already, but will throw out some random ideas for you in case you haven't tried them.

There are a lot of threads here about cat introductions. Perhaps you should treat Nummy and Nelly as if they have never met before. Here is a thread that addresses this specific topic: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67321

You mentioned that Nummy is healthy now. It's been the experience of a lot of us on this site that bladder issues that get to the point of blockage tend to reoccur. Nummy may still be having some health issues, whether that would be a UTI, bladder inflamation, crystals, etc. That alone could explain Nelly's hostility to him - a cat will attack another cat when they sense they are ill. It could also explain why Nummy is pulling out his hair - he's not feeling right and he's compulsively pulling out his hair to distract himself from his problem.

Has Nummy been placed on a prescription diet, and is getting enough fluids? Once blocked, it can happen again.

If Nummy has peed outside the box, he will return to the area over and over again unless you have completely cleaned it with an enzymatic cleaner. The most common one is Nature's Miracle, but many of us find that it doesn't entirely work. A better cleaner is Nok Out (sold online only). You need to saturate the area completely with the cleaner, and repeat as necessary if you see Nummy returning to that spot (means he can still smell it while you cannot).

A rule of thumb with litter boxes is 1 box per cat plus an extra one (you need 3 boxes). Some cats refuse to pee and poop in the same box.

Nummy may be nervous about the box because he has been in pain while in there. Many here find that Cat Attract litter (sold at Petsmart) will draw a cat to a box where other litters fail.

I have a chronic bladder issue boy (Muddy) whose problems started when he was about Nummy's age. He had repeated UTI's, crystals and blocked twice before I was able to manage his condition. During all of this, one of the other resident cats did attack him - Muddy didn't smell right and the other cat didn't like it. I could tell exactly when Muddy was having a relapse as the attacks got worse. Muddy never told me that he was ill - the other cats in my house told me.

Nummy will get through this, but I suspect that there are some things you need to change in your house to make it work. I know that some of the things like Nok Out, Cat Attract and prescription foods may be more expensive, but I figure they have saved me a lot of money on trips to the ER and replacing furniture.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mgoes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much Momofmany for the thoughtful and helpful reply!

I will order the Nok Out and put out the additional litter boxes. Nummies has gotten a clean bill of health from the doc...we've even cultured his urine recently...and there are no more medical issues.

I did recently put the foil where he was peeing and that has seemed to keep him under control, but he still goes over to the area and meows mournfully...so I fear if I take the foil away...he'll do his thing again.

The cats are tolerating each other better. They can now be in the same room without a fight starting, but Nelly still growls when Nummies gets too close.

What continues to worry me is that Nummies is still pulling out big chunks of his fur. I'm at a loss as to how to stop him from doing this. Any suggestions are appreciated!!!