Post spaying animosity. :(

catlanta

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I brought my kittens back from being fixed yesterday--I have a male (Jack) and a female (Laura), both about 5 months old. I've had them since they were quite young (4 weeks old), and they're closely bonded to each other. 

Since they came home, I've had them separated in pop-up play pens, as they're generally pretty rough play fighters and active jumpers and climbers. I've been letting them out one at a time to stretch their legs and play a bit. Both seem to be recovering well, but Laura's still acting weird. Most concerning, she's growling and hissing at her brother. 

I've read a bunch of the threads on post-op care, and this seems relatively common. However, I've got some questions...

* How often is this kind of behavior shift permanent? They've been such friendly, well-adjusted, bonded cats, the thought of them not getting along anymore makes me very sad! Is this something they almost always get over, or is there a reasonable chance that they'll never be close playmates/cuddlemates again?

* Is there anything I can do to help her be comfortable with her brother again? I've been trading toys back and forth between the pens...

* What, if anything, can I do to make them happier? They hate being in the pens! 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They have just had surgery, they are still cranky from it. The good news is that in a couple of days when they start feeling better, any animosity will be gone. Keep swapping the toys and add swapping blankets or whatever they are laying on. Brush them with the same brush, too. Each one smells different to the other one. You need to get them smelling the same.

Play with them and cuddle them as much as possible. Just remember that the hormones are still in their bloodstreams, and will take several weeks to fully disappear.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is a relatively common thing after a vet visit. They smell different, so I would do as much scent exchange as possible. Toys are good, but also blankets, beds, use the same brush on them, etc. I think they'll go back to being buddies soon.

I know they hate the pens, but I think you're doing the right thing. I wouldn't let them be together again until they are more comfortable with each and even only supervised for a while.

It will be okay. I know you're worried, but it's all temporary.

laurasorphans

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I personally have never heard of it being permanent, so I wouldn't worry about that. I would think if it was permanent something else may be going on. Anyway, as everyone stated swap everything you can. She is hissing because he smells weird and different to her. Even I can smell that my kitties smell like a "vet office" when they come home so imagine how awful that smells to a kitty whose sense of smell is much better than ours. Keep swapping things including blankets and after awhile they will both smell "normal" after being home for a number of days. In addition she HAS just had surgery and some cats are understandably grumpy for a few days following the procedure.

I've had several very sweet and loving cats act extremely aggressive right when they come home and are still groggy and confused from the anesthesia- they growl non-stop and I can't get near them let alone another cat. It takes a few days for them to fully recover from the anesthesia itself and even after it has worn off they are still usually tired and a little confused and may not act "normal."

I'd definitely keep them how you have them, that is the perfect set up. Just keep them separate and keep the pens near by each other while they recover and I'm sure they will go back to being best friends :-)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlanta

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ahhhh....three days later and they're back to being best friends. 

Of course, the problem now is for how long to keep them separated!! All they want to do is get together and play, but they play-fight so rough, I'm worried Jack will tear Laura's stitches out as soon as I turn my back (I've been letting them out together under supervision, but it only takes about 5 miutes, max, before the wrestling begins.)

She's got dissolveable stitches and glue--how long until it's safe to let her and her brother wrestle and kick and fight and the like? I was thinking allowing them out into the rest of the house together, unsupervised, tomorrow night? That'll be about 4.5 days since their surgery.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think call the vet on that one. Explain that she likes to play rough and you are worried that a claw may catch in a stitch and hurt her, and ask how long until it is okay for her to wrestle with her buddy.