Post Spay/neuter

hmorton92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,
So we just had both of our kittens spayed/neutered on Tuesday (one is a male, other is a female).
I feel like I can't do anything right with them currently. They're trying to run around and play so much, which they're not allowed to be doing. I've finally got her to accept the cone to stop her from licking and she is handling it well.
While I am at work, I have them separated so they can't play or run together.
I feel like I am doing everything wrong :(.
Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hmorton92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've got her in a bedroom and left him out to roam as he is less likely to jump around. This is our first time with cats so still learning all the expectations.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
While keeping them quiet is certainly best, don't make yourself or the kittens crazy over it. We've known cats and kittens to actually injure themselves trying to escape cages, etc., while recovering. Keep in mind that ferals are rountinely returned to their colonies the same or the next day after spaying/neutering. Just do the best you can.

One of the reason that vets are so adamant about the inactivity is that if a kitten does manage to pull stitches, the vet is responsible for that injury. They love animals, and err on the side of safety, and who can blame them?

If she manages to slip that cone, try cutting the leg off of a pair of sports socks and using it as a body stocking for her. Just make sure it isn't TOO tight.

hmorton92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He keeps trying to play with her and I’m trying my best to keep them from playing but because they’re kittens, it’s very hard. I’m also trying so hard to keep her off the cat tree because as soon as she tries to climb it, she falls back down. I think the cone is throwing off her balance, which I completely understand!

She’s taking to the cone just fine now and isn’t fighting it anymore.

I’m trying to keep in mind that there are lots of ferals are released right after. Just want to be cautious.

Can’t wait for this week to be over and them be back to their normal selves!!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I feel you. When I had Hekitty spayed, I tore my hair out trying to keep her calm. I failed. She survived. The hair grew back. Gotta love a happy ending.

hmorton92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We had a scare last night with our male. Our vet told us that he shouldn’t need the cone and he’s been fine until last night. I went to check on them before bed and he had a small little opening from where they did his castration. Called the emergency vet and they said he had to have a cone on no matter what or he would continue to chew it open. So after an hour of calming him down he accepted the cone and now I can’t wait to get home from work to them! I’m anxious to see that they’re okay!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Little devils will worry at neutering sites on occasion. So now they BOTH have the Cone of Shame, and he can't go "nya nya ny nya!" at his sister any more!

hmorton92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Exactly! I think she kind of had a little laugh at him when she saw him. But we just got home to them and all is good, I can stop stressing now!!

hmorton92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They did fairly well well. His depth perception is way off with his cone. He likes to make a large mess when he goes to the bathroom, pain in the butt he is.
I still have to keep them separated when we aren’t home because they get to rowdy with each other. I have a check up appointment for her tomorrow afternoon and hopefully in a few days I can take the cones off of them!

hmorton92

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good news is he no longer is stuck wearing a cone, he is all healed up.
She has three more days of the cone life!