Post PU surgery question.

vsvpflex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is now at about 5 weeks post PU surgery and is doing great on the urinary aspect of things. Still in the process of weening him off his cone because he overgrooms everywhere when we do, but we have made progress. All of his external stitches have dissolved, but I was curious if anyone knows if they also do internal stitches with this procedure? And if so, how long does it normally take for the internal stitches to be absorbed?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!

Was he over grooming before the surgery and cone? I'm not familiar with the various types of stitches, you might want to double check with your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vsvpflex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!

Was he over grooming before the surgery and cone? I'm not familiar with the various types of stitches, you might want to double check with your vet.
He was not overgrooming before the surgery, but the main places he was focusing on weren’t even really the incision site. I have another post about his overgrooming that is more extensive, I’ll link it below.
Overgrooming post

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Search Results for Query: PU surgery

There are threads here about PU surgery and overgrooming. You may have already seen them.

Internal stitches usually take about 2 weeks to dissolve; however, there are different suture materials for different procedures and that may cause the time frame to vary. It often depends on how well that particular part of the body heals, and how quickly. Probably the best thing to do is to call the vet and ask if they used internal sutures and, if so, how long before they dissolve. I really think that they should tell you that over the phone, no charge and no visit unless you feel that you need to go back in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vsvpflex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Search Results for Query: PU surgery

There are threads here about PU surgery and overgrooming. You may have already seen them.

Internal stitches usually take about 2 weeks to dissolve; however, there are different suture materials for different procedures and that may cause the time frame to vary. It often depends on how well that particular part of the body heals, and how quickly. Probably the best thing to do is to call the vet and ask if they used internal sutures and, if so, how long before they dissolve. I really think that they should tell you that over the phone, no charge and no visit unless you feel that you need to go back in.
I just hate to tie their time up. The place he had his surgery done is in a very esteemed veterinary hospital 4 hours from where I live

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are clearly a very considerate person, but please don't feel that a couple of easy to answer questions are an imposition. A vet tech can probably even answer them for you.