Post PU surgery never ending stress, please advise.

ms688

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I haven't been here in a bit! Hobbes had a name change shortly after my post here to Riggs. He was a healthy happy boy up until 2 weeks ago. He got blocked, on a Saturday night (of course). Emergency vet & catheter: 600 bucks. Five days later, blocked again. They wanted to just unblock him for another 600 and not give me anything to treat it (i don't LOVE my vet, but they're affordable) he was unable to be unblocked and a PU surgery was given. It went well, but then the problems began with me 1,300 dollars in the hole.

He pees pretty well (or he was before today, i haven't been home to check - )
Not eating much, but the antibiotics probably have something to do with it.

First catheter sat Nov 9. Second attempt & PU surger on sat Nov 16. He went in on this thursday to have his catheter removed, and SURPRISE! there was no catheter. I have yet to find it, even despite cleaning his quarantine kennel and litterbox with the Yesterday's News pellets in it. A mystery.

Last night he had some kind of mild seizure or something? It lasted about 20 seconds but his right front paw drew up and went stiff as death and his chin jerked down to his chest and locked. I laid him on his side on my chest in a panic and he seems okay now in that regard --

But right now my big issue is that he hadn't been pooping so I administered some miralax and he went (evidenced by the mess all over his tail fur) but currently he has a semi-hard piece of poo protruding from his swollen anus abt half an inch or so (maybe less) and its clearly very painful for him. It's almost 11pm, I can't call my vet rn. I gave him some more water & miralax via dropper bc he isn't drinking on his own yet since surgery one week ago, and tried to encourage some pumpkin eating which didn't go great. I gently put some original formula prep h on his rectum careful to avoid the stitches and new urethra, but it just seemed to anger him. He's currently laying down looking very uncomfortable.

Do you think he will pass this on his own or will i need to go pay MORE money to get it removed? Can it wait til monday to avoid emergency fee?

How do I make him drink on his own? I think the e-collar cone is making him depressed and unwilling to try, food only happens if i hold the bowl up inside the collar, and i put lots of water in it to help, but idk what to do.

I also have a gofundme to help with the 1300 unexpected surgery costs, if anyone is interested in sharing it around or knows places that are good to share, please let me know.

The big issue right now is the poop situation -- what should I do? Anyone else have this experience?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ms688

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He tried to poo again just now, strained pretty hard, and got a bit of progress until the bit of poo was just barely hanging, i gently used a wipe and it came out on its own. Hopefully that will be the end of it as the miralax does the rest of its job, but i am still on edge, as you can imagine. Will see about a vet in the morning if need remains.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ms688

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh no - poor Riggs and you! How are things now? Any better? Sending prayers and vibes for Riggs' speedy healing....
Manual extraction of feces, 3 enemas, anal gland expressing and some laxatives and he is much happier boy. We made it to Monday!! Thank you guys for the replies.

His catheter is still a mystery but its definitely not inside him, the vet is t concerned at all.

Here is hoping this is the last CATastrophe he faces in life.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clap::poop: yay!! Crisis remedied!! I am so glad that Riggs got the care that he needed. Prayers and vibes for continued health & thank you for the updates :vibes::vibes::vibes: