Post Pu Surgery Bleeding

maximusmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had the PU Surgery 31 days ago and I decided to finally take off his cone. It’s been about a day and I woke up to him bleeding by his incision. He’s dropping a little bit of blood and his incision looks pink/red. What should I do? Do you guys have any experience with this?

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Contact his surgeon and make a decision together to either put the cone back on or let him keep it off.
The blood could be from his bladder, or the blood could be from him over grooming his new area. Is he frequenting the litter box, still eating? Tom groomed himself raw the day he got the cone off, and we'd left it on for a month.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maximusmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I put his cone back on because I don't want him to keep licking done there and hurting himself. I also put some triple antibiotic. Were Tom's stitches removed by the surgeon or self-dissolvable? And also how long did it take for him to heal?

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His stitches had to be removed by the surgeon. From what I read on the bill and googled online, the surgeon gave him an injection to get him drowsy and an injection to perk him back up. I left his cone off even after he groomed raw, because he had to learn to live with it and treat it nicely.
This was at two weeks when we got the stitches out. He had a mucosa that was open on the bottom but it healed over in time. Booty>new urethra> mucosa

Attachments

JenniferC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I put his cone back on because I don't want him to keep licking done there and hurting himself. I also put some triple antibiotic. Were Tom's stitches removed by the surgeon or self-dissolvable? And also how long did it take for him to heal?
Hello, I know this is an old post but if you’re still on here could you tell me what ended up happening? My cat had pu surgery over 2 months ago and is still in the cone because every time I take it off and he licks the area it bleeds and gets swollen and puffy. I’ve been back and forth with the vet, who just suggests various ointments but nothing has worked so far. I’m afraid it’s going to get mutilated or infected if I just let him go with the bleeding