Post Pu Surgery Behavior Questions

CLP Maynard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!

I am curious to see if anyone else has had the same problem as I have...

My little guy Maynard 3.5 year old Himalayan had PU Surgery back on May 31 and stitches removed June 16. Per the surgeon and my regular vet everything has healed perfectly. I’ve taken him back for 3 rechecks since then and he has another follow up in two weeks.

He’s going to the bathroom regularly and playing however we have to keep his cone on because within 10 minutes of removal his back starts twitching and he goes for the area and starts chewing it causing it to bleed. The surgeon said it’s just going to take time and trial and error until the cone can be removed for good. He was just at the vet on Wednesday and he did have a mild UTI and he’s currently on baytril. He also gave him an injection of steroids that lasts 1 week. The surgeon said he has had a few cases like this in the past and it just takes “time” and sometimes the steroids help. We also did a culture of the area as he said there could be an infection underneath. I should have those results in about a week.

Has anyone else experienced this?!?! I just want my guy back to normal :( He blocked 3 times in 6 months which is why the vet suggested the surgery. I even had a second opinion and both agreed it was our best option.

Thanks for any feedback!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

CLP Maynard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply! He is currently on dry RC S/O. He was a rescue cat and was fed dry kibble before I got him. I’ve tried transitioning him 3 times but he REFUSES any wet food (we’ve tried multiple brands). When he was hospitalized for the blockage and the PU surgery he lost 2lbs (he only weighed 9.5) so it was a large percentage of his body weight. He’s now back up to 8.5 and my vet and I plan to try transitioning to wet food again after he gains all his weight back. The last time we tried to change to wet food he went two days without eating before I caved and gave him is kibble. He’s a very picky eater and won’t eat any treats, wet food or anything but his kibble (I’ve never experienced this with a cat).

However, the issue doesn’t seem to be crystals. We x-rayed last week and all crystals are gone and he is urinating without issue. He drinks lots of water as well typically almost a whole 8oz dish.

The probably is the self harm. As soon as that cone comes off he just starts chewing at the area. I just wondered if anyone has delt with this and after this surgery before. And any tips they may have to help.

Thanks again for your reply :)

CLP Maynard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply! He is currently on dry RC S/O. He was a rescue cat and was fed dry kibble before I got him. I’ve tried transitioning him 3 times but he REFUSES any wet food (we’ve tried multiple brands). When he was hospitalized for the blockage and the PU surgery he lost 2lbs (he only weighed 9.5) so it was a large percentage of his body weight. He’s now back up to 8.5 and my vet and I plan to try transitioning to wet food again after he gains all his weight back. The last time we tried to change to wet food he went two days without eating before I caved and gave him is kibble. He’s a very picky eater and won’t eat any treats, wet food or anything but his kibble (I’ve never experienced this with a cat).

However, the issue doesn’t seem to be crystals. We x-rayed last week and all crystals are gone and he is urinating without issue. He drinks lots of water as well typically almost a whole 8oz dish.

The probably is the self harm. As soon as that cone comes off he just starts chewing at the area. I just wondered if anyone has delt with this and after this surgery before. And any tips they may have to help.

Thanks again for your reply :)

Also, the 3rd article had some very useful information and will definitely try that approach when we get his weight back up :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
This article has some tips that might help if he is slower to gain weight than you'd like;
How To Get A Cat To Gain Weight

Hang in there!
Oh, by the way, double check with your vet but this might also be useful;
from @Mamanyt1953
You can go to the store and buy a box of chamomile tea bags. Brew a cup, and let it cool down considerably, until it is just a tiny bit cool on your own skin...cats are more heat sensitive than we are. Dampen a soft cloth, and use that. Blot more than wipe. Chamomile has antibacterial properties, which makes it very good for things like this.

And it can ease discomfort as well.

CLP Maynard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! Hopefully I can get this cone off him soon.

rogue22912

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It took my boy gotham a long time to recover from the p/u surgery he had to wear the cone of shame for about a month cause like your boy my boy would mess with his hid end a lot even after we took the cone off he still had issues. he would just lick him self a lot and it caused 3 uti all with in two months after.

Support Group for Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease

That group on facebook has helped me so much a lot of the people in that group have cats that have had the P/U surgery so they were like a life line to me during that time

CLP Maynard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much! I’m sorry you had to deal with what I am but it is nice to know someone understands. This whole process has been so stressful. I follow him around like a crazy person making sure he’s going to the bathroom and not in pain. Aside from him chewing the area he’s doing great. I sent a request to the group on FB.

I assume Gotham is doing well now? How long ago did he have the surgery?

dkb817

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know that they make little almost like cat onesies as some cats aren't inclined to chew if they have a layer of clothing in the way - It's an option worth looking into.

Good luck - Hope your furbaby is back to good health soon!

rogue22912

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
it was a very stressful time for me as well I was doing the same thing you were doing following him everywhere I had a note pad where I would write down when and how much gotham went. I finally got a big dog crate and put a litter box in there and a bed and I kept gotham in that for a while just so I can track what he was doing.

Gotham had the surgery at the end of October last year and he finally started to feel like him self in January. The P/U surgery diffidently saved his life but it was a very long a stressful process to go though but it was so worth it in the end. Gotham hind end is finally growing back hair it was a bit blad for a while.

Just remember you are doing the absolute best for him and it may not seem like it at the time but it will get better. I know I broke down a lest 2 time in this whole process and cried thinking that I was horrible pet parent and why isn't Gotham getting better sooner, but he did get better may have took longer then I thought it would but he did. Remember its a big change for Maynard and for you, but just remember you did this out of love for him and he knows that.

CLP Maynard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know that they make little almost like cat onesies as some cats aren't inclined to chew if they have a layer of clothing in the way - It's an option worth looking into.

Good luck - Hope your furbaby is back to good health soon!
Definitely worth a shot! Thank you!

CLP Maynard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
it was a very stressful time for me as well I was doing the same thing you were doing following him everywhere I had a note pad where I would write down when and how much gotham went. I finally got a big dog crate and put a litter box in there and a bed and I kept gotham in that for a while just so I can track what he was doing.

Gotham had the surgery at the end of October last year and he finally started to feel like him self in January. The P/U surgery diffidently saved his life but it was a very long a stressful process to go though but it was so worth it in the end. Gotham hind end is finally growing back hair it was a bit blad for a while.

Just remember you are doing the absolute best for him and it may not seem like it at the time but it will get better. I know I broke down a lest 2 time in this whole process and cried thinking that I was horrible pet parent and why isn't Gotham getting better sooner, but he did get better may have took longer then I thought it would but he did. Remember its a big change for Maynard and for you, but just remember you did this out of love for him and he knows that.
Wow, your situation is so similar to mine. I do the same, I keep the notes in my phone along with the outcome of each vet appointment.

I’m so happy to hear the Gotham is good now and that Maynard isn’t the only case like this. It was hard because I wasn’t expecting such a long recovery. But I am confident that we’ll get back to normal sometime soon.

Thanks so much for sharing your story! It definitely makes me more optimistic for my little guy.

CLP Maynard

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It took my boy gotham a long time to recover from the p/u surgery he had to wear the cone of shame for about a month cause like your boy my boy would mess with his hid end a lot even after we took the cone off he still had issues. he would just lick him self a lot and it caused 3 uti all with in two months after.

Support Group for Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease

That group on facebook has helped me so much a lot of the people in that group have cats that have had the P/U surgery so they were like a life line to me during that time

Thank you again for referring me to the support group! I made a post and received so many helpful responses in just a few short hours! They have made me feel so much better as have you!