post pictures of your tabbies here .....

angels4mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's okay. Like I said, I've done the same, and I managed to embarrass myself and offend others multiple times before I figured it out. Think of it this way: A warning is more likely to be taken seriously when it is given in a polite, compassionate way that makes it clear you want to help the cat--not shame the owner.

Many good owners just have their cat's weight sneak up on them. They free-feed a cat with a tendency to overeat, or they don't realize the importance of high-quality food, or they're the kind of person who expresses love by giving treats. It happens slowly. They aren't malicious. They might need a heads-up--that overweight is a sign that the cat's diet or lifestyle are not ideal. But they do usually love their cat. Think of how it happens to humans; we just have the extra dinner roll or the extra scoop of mashed potatoes, and years later we're carrying around fifty extra pounds. That's the way it is for cats, too.

The people I really would want to shame are the ones who have skinny, flea-ridden, obviously uncared-for cats. Those are the really malicious or uncaring people, and they're the ones you can store up your anger for, because they're the ones who deserve it.
That's okay. Like I said, I've done the same, and I managed to embarrass myself and offend others multiple times before I figured it out. Think of it this way: A warning is more likely to be taken seriously when it is given in a polite, compassionate way that makes it clear you want to help the cat--not shame the owner.

Many good owners just have their cat's weight sneak up on them. They free-feed a cat with a tendency to overeat, or they don't realize the importance of high-quality food, or they're the kind of person who expresses love by giving treats. It happens slowly. They aren't malicious. They might need a heads-up--that overweight is a sign that the cat's diet or lifestyle are not ideal. But they do usually love their cat. Think of how it happens to humans; we just have the extra dinner roll or the extra scoop of mashed potatoes, and years later we're carrying around fifty extra pounds. That's the way it is for cats, too.

The people I really would want to shame are the ones who have skinny, flea-ridden, obviously uncared-for cats. Those are the really malicious or uncaring people, and they're the ones you can store up your anger for, because they're the ones who deserve it.

I agree with you. I was blamed for Mandie's weight. When I went into hospitals my sister and her roommate over fed her despite my strict instructions. Mandie is also part Maine Coon, a very large breed to begin with. Cocoa managed to get weight off of her by rumbling with her plus the healthy food she eats. Not everything is as it appears

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She must be quite a character! I can't help but laugh at some of the pics in that collage. The one with her sticking her head up the lampshade, or looking at the camera and very clearly meowing at you, or curled into a perfect donut shape, or supervising by your feet... LOL... so cute!

momto2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is Oliver - we rescued him from our high kill animal shelter 14 years ago.  He is our big baby - here he is helping me grade papers :)