Post pics of your fatty catties!

agent_haun

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here's the Flabby Tabby herself:

Anyone care to share their chubby fur babies?

zoe'n'misskitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awww, your flabby tabby is so cute!! Look at that little bob-tail!!

Here's my big'un.
Miss Kitty says "I'm not fat, I'm big boned!"

I think she really is just big boned...she has a very defined waist when you look at her from above, and I can feel her ribs, but she is massive. She gets plenty of excercize and is by no means over-fed. She's even been on weight-control food for a year! She's just a big girl.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only males in my house are both overweight, although compared to Tom and the other male on the street, I am not as bothered about Ginger anymore, as long as I can keep him under 5.5kg!!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just to let people know that cats are not supposed to be overweight. They are the perfect sports machine, lithe in body, able to scamper up and down trees when they are outside, run at breaknecking speed after prey. Obesity in cats opens up bad doors to health issues- diabetes, heart disease, asthma, fatty liver disease. If your cat is fat, talk to your vet about putting your cat on a safe and structured diet where the weight comes off easily and slowly. Increase their activity level by interactive playtimes and prolong their health and their lives.

Sorry but these "show off your fat cats" photo threads really distress me. Your cats, if you love them should be in prime health, not carrying around so much weight their stomachs might soon drag the ground.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I don't like overweight cats, both mine go to the weight clinic once a month (as does the underweight cat), and we put Tom on Hills r/d this week as he hasn't lost that much weight - in my opinion he is morbidly obese, which is why I told the charity I didn't want him being up for rehoming till he had lost a couple of kilos. Luckily they agreed with me. Overweight cats are also at risk of kidney probs, cystitis, lameness due to arthritis and a shorter lifespan. I am forever being told how cute and cuddly Tom looks, so they get told that he is at a very high risk of health probs, so hopefully wont look that cuddly for long.

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a pic of my boyfriend's cats. Kiki's the white one and Sara is the tabby. Kiki's on steriods so she's it's not that she's fat because she's over eating. Sara will eat nearly everything but has slimed down alot since this picture was taken.

zoe'n'misskitty

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by alt0dos

Yeah, as cute as fat cats are, I really do hope you're not intending to keep them that way...
I have tried everything the vet suggested for my fat cat and she only lost 2lbs...she's a steady 13lbs now. "Diet" cat food in small portions, plenty of play time (or as much as she will put up with)...she just stays big. There's nothing wrong with her health either...everything's been ruled out. If she were an outisde cat she would slim down, but it's not safe for her out there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

agent_haun

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have Poodle on a diet. I'm not promoting overfeeding, and my other kitty is perfectly healthy. But, I think kitties that are a little chubby are adorable. Apperently that makes me someone who doesn't want a healthy
cat.

By the way, cute chubbies everyone.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think cats that are a little bit chubby are OK, it is when they get that way and their owners keep overfeeding that there is a prob. My neighbours cat is 7.2kg, and looks fatter than my 8.6kg kitty - his belly is that big that if he trys to slink anywhere, it practically drags on the floor, and it does drag on the floor walking in and out of a house, which isn't good. She claims her cat is lazy, and goes outside but doesnt do anything - she has no toys for her cats, no scratching posts or cat trees/activity centres, and wonders why!! I told her that he is very playful, and just needs some stimulating, but she glared at me. Give him some catnip, and he will play for ages, but I am the only one who plays with him, and I have 5 cats that need to lose some weight (all came to me that way), so don't have time anymore.

decadenz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
An acquaintance's cats are all tubby, most are healthy, but some have developed diabetes and other things. As in humans, obesity isn't healthy for cats. Luckily my two have each other to play with so they'll be well-exercised.

That said however, I indulge in the guilty pleasure of snuggling a chubby kitty cos they're sooo cute. Personally though, I like them stout. Y'know, solid and big-sized, but muscly and not flabby.... like a Mafia prince!

tigerfanfrv

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Just to let people know that cats are not supposed to be overweight. They are the perfect sports machine, lithe in body, able to scamper up and down trees when they are outside, run at breaknecking speed after prey. Obesity in cats opens up bad doors to health issues- diabetes, heart disease, asthma, fatty liver disease. If your cat is fat, talk to your vet about putting your cat on a safe and structured diet where the weight comes off easily and slowly. Increase their activity level by interactive playtimes and prolong their health and their lives.

Sorry but these "show off your fat cats" photo threads really distress me. Your cats, if you love them should be in prime health, not carrying around so much weight their stomachs might soon drag the ground.
i agree with hissy, another huge problem in (mostly) overwieght castrate male cats is the development of a urinary blockage which costs alot to remedy and can be potentially fatal. crystals develop in the urine and biuld up to block urinary output. treatment at home once they are blocked is not an option. the vets i work with normally cathiterize the cat, the iv fluids for a few days, plus meds and c/d or k/d cat food. they should loose the wieght asap. it will be easyer on yout wallet

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a question while we are on the subject. How do you tell for sure if your kitty is too fat? Pepper is one of those round bottomed cats that look chubby lying on her back and sitting down, but she really does not seem fat when standing up or moving around. She was kind of skinny before spaying, but she has a tummy bulge now. I read something once about being able to feel ribs beneath the skin, but do not remember details.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you should be able to feel their ribs with only a slight bit of pressure - if you have to really search for them, then they need to diet. My vets offer a free weight clinic, they weigh them, check them and tell you what they think their ideal weight is and work with you re tips to get them to lose weight. Only prob is I now have too many that need to go up, so am going to have to see about getting some scales for myself!!