Post Partum Care

mommamia'smom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I posted a message a few days ago titled "Is She Done", ,and did recieve alot of help. To update you, my cat has not had any other kittens, other than the one she gave birth to the other day. I was kind of baffled that she only had one kitten, but she is a rather small cat and it is her first litter that I am aware of. Mama ended up at our house in March, and at the time she was loosing her baby teeth. She got pregnant in May. Well, Here's my question, how long do cats have bloody discharge following the birthing process? She gave birth at 2:05 am early on Tues. morning. I am concerned about her having the bloody discharge, but am thinking it's fairly normal for a postpartum? It's not flowing out, but leaks a little and is a dark brownish with a little pink. Should this be something to be alarmed about, or is it normal??

Thank you so much for your help.

By the way I am a newbie, and will post this same info in the welcome section, but here's a brief introduction for here:

I am a Stay at Home Mom, with two little boys ages 5.5 and 4. I have 5 cats (well if we keep the kitten it will be 6). My oldest cat, Niko is a Maine Coon Cat..he's 10 years old, then there is CJ who is a Black and White Tuxedo Cat and he's 9, next is Little Girl who will be 7 on Sept 18th (I found her abandoned only 2 hours after she was born, her mom left her and I adopted and reared her..she is the sweetest cat ever!!.Then there's our 3 year old Lilac BiColor Ragdoll, Shasta...he is HUGE, but he kind of lacks in the mental power dept.., and finally, the cat that showed up at our house in March, is a young Pastel Tortie. The kitten she had recently is a black and orange Tortie.
There you have it...I can honestly say that I have my hands full between my children and furry friends.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From my understanding it is normal for them to bleed for about 7-10 days.
Some one correct me if I'm wrong PLEASE.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

From my understanding it is normal for them to bleed for about 7-10 days.
Some one correct me if I'm wrong PLEASE.
You are not wrong ... queens can discharge a few drops of blood for up to 10 days after delivery. If it is more than a few drops (blood always looks like more than it is) than a vet visit is indicated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommamia'smom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ahh, that's a relief. It's no more than a drop or two each time I notice it..which is a couple times a day. She cleans herself up pretty fast, so am not sure exactly how many times she's bleeding, but I just wanted to be sure. She's my first cat to have babies (in this case, baby) so I am new at this...althought we've had a cat have babies when I was younger (and of course oblivious to all that's entailed with the birthing process).

Thank you for your help! I appreciate it.