Post Op Spay Stitch Untied?

anmeizing

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haven’t had a kitten in 10 years and this little lady just got spayed 4 days ago. Did this stitch come undone? Not a medical professional, so I honestly can’t tell.
IMG_1570.jpeg

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looks like to me. What do you think, di and bob di and bob ? I would call the vet for advice, just as a precaution. From the way the sutures appear, it looks like to me they were meant to come out without being physically removed by the vet. However, I don't know if I am correct (it's a guess, based on the way they are sewn) and if so, how long they are supposed to remain intact. My girls were spayed a few years back and I honestly don't remember much about the sutures. Please let me know what the vet tells you, because I am curious and also want to make sure everything is okay for your kitten.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just call the vet, or try to remember if the vet said to come back to have the stitches removed. Most vets glue the incision shut now. looking at that photo, it may be 2 separate stitches, i cn see where each end seems to be going into the skin. but the incision looks really good, and is all held together fine, so really, I wouldn't worry about it, just keep an eye on it. i have had a lot of incisions come partially apart (Dehiscence) and all the little ones came through fine. Any gap wider than 1/4 inch should be reported.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anmeizing

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did end up getting to the vet. The bottom stitch had come untied so they just removed that one and left the top one. There was a bit of swelling under the skin they said to monitor over the next week before the actual appointment to remove the stitches. Or stitch now I guess

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Swelling under the skin is normal too if it isn't excessive. She may develop a lump. there was a lot of trauma done inside too! Bless you for helping that little girl and giving her a much better life!