Post-op Neuter care

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigerbabygrr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! That's the answer I was looking for
Jason works full time and right now I'm just a stay at home meowmy... It's hard to keep track of both the boys so I won't be taking their collars off until Jason gets home from work in a few hours. I'll leave the collars on during the day until he gets home, then they'll have some breathing room for a few hours until we go to bed and they'll go right back on.

If I notice that they barely groom themselves, I may just leave them off. The problem we were having is the two boys were grooming each other! The collars prevent them from grooming themselves and each other, thankfully.

Poor boys... I can't wait for this to be over!! They're going to be confused, too because we're bringing home a puppy next weekend lol!! I hope they don't hate us!!

kiaira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You're welcome!

I tried taking the collar off of Sienna to give her a break when I was there; however, she just wouldn't leave her incision alone. So, she had to wear it 24/7 except during feeding times where I sat with her and prevented her from licking the area between bites of food.

Don't worry, it will go by fast. I know it can be a pain for them (and you), but if they are lickers, I would pick the collar over an infection any day.
Take care.

tigerbabygrr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They still haven't pooped but they've both peed up a storm...is this normal? I mean they haven't had tons to eat, but I figured they'd have eliminated by now...

kiaira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it's only been a day since their surgeries + last bms and everything else is normal, I wouldn't worry too much at this point. They were fasted and probably don't have a lot of food in their stomachs. However, if anything else arises OR if they still haven't had a bm by tomorrow morning, I would call your vet first thing in the a.m. for an opinion.

tigerbabygrr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Milo just went. I went to open this thread and say that they haven't gone, but he must have read my mind or something lol. Merlin hasn't gone yet but he should, soon. He didn't eat as much as Milo, though this morning so I'm going to wait until tomorrow morning on him.

faganfamily1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You know what just occoured to me, Otis hasnt really had any food, so it might be a few hours before he produces a BM, maybe it was the same for your kittens.

tigerbabygrr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Everything seems to be going well
Poor baby Merlin stepped in his pee and couldn't clean it off..he had a major spaz on me when I had to clean his paw off. I had to wake up his poor daddy to help me because Merlin just would not co-operate!!

Hopefully tonight Jason will be able to sleep!! lol.

faganfamily1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Otis is also recovering well, He slept alot yesterday, but otherwise he seems to be returning to his normal food habits, like begging for everything underthesun. I was also surprised that he isnt trying to lick down there more than he is...i only had to stop him 3 x yesterday.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, bless them. I have never known males having to have a collar after being spayed, or go back to the vets. however, there is a couple at the back of us who had a male that was neutered, and after about 5 days, we saw the cat with a collar on and thought 'hang on, am sure they have a male cat!!' - turns out they do, he just bothered it so much that it had to be re-stitched and then he had to wear a collar!! I am rather strict with my cats and make them wear it for the whole 10 days - have only not done it once, and I was really paranoid - fortunately she only pulled one stitch half out, but the next one to be neutered had the collar on!!