Post-neuter: VERY sleepy kitten, normal?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Um, I don't think he had any bloodwork done. He finished his kitten shots about a month before being neutered. We were waiting for him to put on a little more weight cause he's so small.

I have no idea what a "third eyelid" is.

He was a very spunky, active kitten before, loved to be right in the middle of things (ON my laptop while trying to type, IN the dishwasher while I'm trying to do the dishes, etc). He slept a lot before the operation too, but he was literally either playing/attacking/getting into trouble, or completely sacked out and sleeping. Now I just notice that he spends more time sleeping, and is a little more subdued that he used to be.

Calling the vet right now....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, just got off the phone with the vet:

She said not to be concerned b/c declaws take longer to heal from, and that as long as he's eating/drinking fine he's okay.

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He was also declawed - maybe this is why they sent me home with meds?
Poor baby. For my own sanity, I'm going to assume at this point that you have already heard the declawing lecture, feel remorseful, and won't ever do this again. And I second finding a new vet. There are vets out there who will be more honest with you and aren't out to make a buck.

Until he's fully healed, make sure to keep him away from high places. Kittens like to jump, and if he does, it's going to be painful. Puppy still makes painful sounds when he jumps, and he doesn't go any higher than 3 feet. Our vet checked him out and said there's no actual pain. He thinks that Puppy's old owners allowed him to jump before the pain went away. He now expects pain when jumping.

If you can keep him in a small room with soft surfaces and no high areas, that would be best. Maybe a bathroom with soft rugs?

You'll probably want to do something about the litterbox too, maybe shredded paper on top of sheets of newspaper?

Keep a close eye on him. And call another vet. I think the meds should have worn off by now.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Mitten was declawed he was not sleepy for days after - his biggest problem was not wanting to use the pan cause his feet hurt - that made me cry like you would not believe. After that (parent's decision - not mine) I vowed never to do that to a cat again.

I hate it when vets say "do you want the cat declawed too when spaying/neutering". I have them write on cards, etc. DO NOT DECLAW. I show cats and I can't show declawed cats - so I get really parinoid about this. I keep thinking "what if someone makes a mistake when he's in there and declaws - my show cat is ruined". First thing I check when picking the cat up is to be sure he has his claws!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby.....I hope his kittenish ways return. And don't worry Mods....I'm stopping right here.