Post labor cat won’t drink

larglo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I picked up a pregnant cat from my friends neighbor hood 4 days ago. She gave birth 2 AND 3 days ago. She was eating a lot on those days hardly drank anything, so I started giving her wet food as well. It’s been about a day and a half ago since I personally saw her drink, my sister has been watching them for me while I’m at work, and she said she wasn’t really drinking much. Today she didn’t really like the wet food, so I got her some lickables that she gobbled down. So I tried mixing water with her wet food and a little bit left of a lickable and now she won’t eat, it’s not been long but I’m extremely worried. No vets are open atm, but I plan on getting her a check up when they do. Is this concerning behavior, or am I freaking out?

I also don’t have a way of getting a fountain right away. And it’s her fourth litter, 8 kittens, 3 lived and they’re neonatal, probably super premies

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom will drink when she’s thirsty. She does get fluids from her wet food, but it sounds like she’s not hungry again quite yet.

Are the kittens able to nurse mom? If not, they need syringe feeding right away and often.

Have you weighed the kittens? Are they fully furred but just tiny?

Do you plan to spay mom after this litter weans? Poor thing should not have to continue having litter after litter.

Thanks so much for taking her in. Do keep us posted!

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If premies they may Need extra care. Ir warming lamps are useful, for example when you weigh them or handfeed. So they wont get chilled out.

You will perhaps need to forcefeed momma some with water or fluids.

Goats milk is useful supplement and cheaper than kmr (in a pinch useful for kittens too)