Post-Intro Integration Snafu

Jayskalo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!

we are on week 2.5 of having the doors open in our apartment between our older cat(Gouda, 10F) and our new kitten (Pistachio, ~7mo F)

we spent 5-6 weeks doing the Jackson galaxy recommended intro and took down pet gates and opened doors generally after they were eating without barriers less than a foot apart. Things were generally going well apart from a few hisses and swipes from our older cat here and there. We’d even have full days with no swipes and a single hiss!

we’ve started hitting a bit of an obstacle over the past two days though. We’ve started letting Pistachio sleep with us at night (formerly it was a Gouda only activity to keep the peace). Pistachio has taken over and there aren’t fights, but Gouda has stopped sleeping with us out of discomfort. It’s only been a few days so I’m not TOO worried about that. The real issue is that between yesterday and today, the cats are actually fighting for real. No claws, no blood. But definitely antagonistic vs previously it seemed pure defensive.

Pistachio is DEFINITELY seeking ways to push Goudas buttons and sneak up on her to sniff her head, or bat her tail. But Gouda is now also coming out and chasing Pistachio under the bed and swatting repeatedly.

Im really worried that this will build and intensify and cause a permanent rift. Is this a normal part of the integration process? Should I be concerned and step back again?

Any advice is appreciated!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I would take things back a few steps. At least stop letting Pistachio take over your bed that Gouda has known for so long to be hers. If nothing else, place Pistachio in a carrier/crate alongside of your bed (even on a chair so she can see you) and let Gouda have her place on the bed. I truly believe that is the source of contention with Gouda.

It just seems that folks seem to give preference to the 'new guy' over the 'old guy' and that is when the trouble starts. The 'old guy' should always reign and be treated as such. Introductions can only progress on the pace of the slowest adapting cat, and that is usually the older resident cat, especially when another cat is given 'their territory' too quickly.
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction - TheCatSite
Do Cats Get Jealous? (And What To Do About It When They Do) - TheCatSite

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:yeah:

Gouda needs some downtime away from kitten antics and some one-on-one time.

Even though they got along well, Nobel needed this for many months. We would put Magnus "away" for a few hours a couple times a day, until he started to put himself away.

Pistachio also probably wants to play, since there's no similar age playmate to do that with. Does she have any wrestling toys?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jayskalo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
:yeah:

Gouda needs some downtime away from kitten antics and some one-on-one time.

Even though they got along well, Nobel needed this for many months. We would put Magnus "away" for a few hours a couple times a day, until he started to put himself away.

Pistachio also probably wants to play, since there's no similar age playmate to do that with. Does she have any wrestling toys?
this all makes sense! We usually give her an hour or so of downtime in the morning and in the evening since those are her high anxiety times of the day, but we could probably do it a little more when Pistachio is going full kitten mode. Gouda is a high anxiety cat due to being surrendered a few years into her life. So her high anxiety periods are usually pretty regular at certain times of day but can definitely swing.

Pistachio does have wrestling toys! She really likes one that is a stuffed snake, hercrinkle balls, and her little fuzzy worm attachments she will sometimes take around the apartment.
We play with her 3-4 times a day for usually 30-45 minutes at a time but I know it’s no real substitute for having a true sibling around.

I think giving Gouda some solo nights in the bed like suggested above and then doing some more separate time could be good places to start. Thank you!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
this all makes sense! We usually give her an hour or so of downtime in the morning and in the evening since those are her high anxiety times of the day, but we could probably do it a little more when Pistachio is going full kitten mode. Gouda is a high anxiety cat due to being surrendered a few years into her life. So her high anxiety periods are usually pretty regular at certain times of day but can definitely swing.

Pistachio does have wrestling toys! She really likes one that is a stuffed snake, hercrinkle balls, and her little fuzzy worm attachments she will sometimes take around the apartment.
We play with her 3-4 times a day for usually 30-45 minutes at a time but I know it’s no real substitute for having a true sibling around.

I think giving Gouda some solo nights in the bed like suggested above and then doing some more separate time could be good places to start. Thank you!
Hoping to hear what works!

Pistachio may calm down in a few months. I'd also recommend any dry food to be given to both cats during movement. There's lots of DIY food enrichment things using household objects on YouTube.

Have you tried Feliway for Gouda before? I've also heard really good things about spending a bit of time under a lightly weighted blanket for cats.

Jayskalo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hoping to hear what works!

Pistachio may calm down in a few months. I'd also recommend any dry food to be given to both cats during movement. There's lots of DIY food enrichment things using household objects on YouTube.

Have you tried Feliway for Gouda before? I've also heard really good things about spending a bit of time under a lightly weighted blanket for cats.
when you say give dry food during movement do you mean feed after play? That’s the schedule we currently have them both on and it is very helpful for energy management but I’d be interested in trying other strategies as well!

We use Feliway! We used the standard one along with aromatherapy (Jackson galaxy cat safe one) regularly before the kitten and it worked wonders. Now we have two diffusers with the multi-cat version in our 700sqft apartment. I think it helps a little for sure. Never tried a weighted blanket though! Definitely something to look into.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
when you say give dry food during movement do you mean feed after play? That’s the schedule we currently have them both on and it is very helpful for energy management but I’d be interested in trying other strategies as well!

We use Feliway! We used the standard one along with aromatherapy (Jackson galaxy cat safe one) regularly before the kitten and it worked wonders. Now we have two diffusers with the multi-cat version in our 700sqft apartment. I think it helps a little for sure. Never tried a weighted blanket though! Definitely something to look into.
For feed through movement I mean like a treat ball or something. So for kitten its getting some mental and physical energy out. And for your other cat it's getting some of that anxious energy out and also building confidence. I only started this in Nobel's teens but honestly he preferred it and would go to his puzzles first over his bowl if I put a little in his bowl too. I have a treat ball, a couple treat mice, a rabbit snuffle mat, a couple puzzles and previously some DIY toys (using egg cartons etc I can compost them once dirty or old).

While we got ready for bed, Nobel used to like doing a cat-food "easter egg hunt". Whoever was being introduced would have that in the safe room as well. I found it a good way to wind down from the interactive play and it gave them something to do to relieve boredom from being stuck in the room.

Oh yes, the Multicat formula really takes the edge off here!

Jayskalo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For feed through movement I mean like a treat ball or something. So for kitten its getting some mental and physical energy out. And for your other cat it's getting some of that anxious energy out and also building confidence. I only started this in Nobel's teens but honestly he preferred it and would go to his puzzles first over his bowl if I put a little in his bowl too. I have a treat ball, a couple treat mice, a rabbit snuffle mat, a couple puzzles and previously some DIY toys (using egg cartons etc I can compost them once dirty or old).

While we got ready for bed, Nobel used to like doing a cat-food "easter egg hunt". Whoever was being introduced would have that in the safe room as well. I found it a good way to wind down from the interactive play and it gave them something to do to relieve boredom from being stuck in the room.

Oh yes, the Multicat formula really takes the edge off here!
I have some new treat puzzles on the way, the dry food is a great suggestion. Gouda doesn't love dry treats, but looooves dry food so thats a great solution for her (and luckily Pistachio is motivated by any food or treat haha)

We spent yesterday focusing a lot on giving Gouda kitten-free time and already yesterday and today have been so much better. Pistachio is respecting Gouda's space more, Gouda is less aggressive and back to only hissing if she gets too close vs swatting, and they were even playing together briefly today.

I'm always shocked at how simple some of the improvements can be and how quickly they can work sometimes. We'll keep taking things slow here!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have some new treat puzzles on the way, the dry food is a great suggestion. Gouda doesn't love dry treats, but looooves dry food so thats a great solution for her (and luckily Pistachio is motivated by any food or treat haha)

We spent yesterday focusing a lot on giving Gouda kitten-free time and already yesterday and today have been so much better. Pistachio is respecting Gouda's space more, Gouda is less aggressive and back to only hissing if she gets too close vs swatting, and they were even playing together briefly today.

I'm always shocked at how simple some of the improvements can be and how quickly they can work sometimes. We'll keep taking things slow here!
It's really amazing isn't it?

I prefer to use a separate type of dry food as a treat rather than paying for treats anyway 😜 especially during intros..so don't feel bad that she doesn't like treats!

Jayskalo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's really amazing isn't it?

I prefer to use a separate type of dry food as a treat rather than paying for treats anyway 😜 especially during intros..so don't feel bad that she doesn't like treats!
oh yeah. This is great for keeping pistachios attention 😂 GREAT suggestion. I never thought we’d be able to have playtime with Gouda in one room without Pistachio trying to interrupt. Or let Gouda go through her morning and evening “rituals” without kitten intrusions!

IMG_0771.jpeg

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
oh yeah. This is great for keeping pistachios attention 😂 GREAT suggestion. I never thought we’d be able to have playtime with Gouda in one room without Pistachio trying to interrupt. Or let Gouda go through her morning and evening “rituals” without kitten intrusions!

View attachment 462882
I'm SO glad. Also that box looks amazing. Pistachio looks happy about it too!

I love when something can be found that keeps a cat busy and doesn't feel like a punishment for them. Now he has something special too.