Post Eye removal surgery worries

Cozzy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My baby Zeke had his eye surgiaclly removed today and feel I need some support. The eye didnt work already so hes already used to the one eyed vision but hes going crazy with the cone on. Like rolling around, bumping into everything, its really stressing him out. Ive taken the collar off for a bit and hes not going for the stitches but I am worried he might do when Im not around to watch him. He also tends to use his head for everything which he is still doing and I worry he will hurt the wound. Do I leave it off or put it back on him? It breaks my heart to see him so stressed out by it. The other issue I have is I have another cat, Aurora, and Zeke and Aurora dont leave each other alone and are always playing and jumping on each other. I kept them apart initally but they were desperate to see each other. They have already tried to play this evening and I intervened as I worry about her catching his wound and opening the stitches or getting infected. I have seperated them and Aurora is in the spare room but shes going crazy in there but I dont want to shut Zeke away where I cant see him. But then I feel so bad that Aurora has to suffer being shut away when its nothing to do with her. Basically I just feel quite overwhelmed and feel like its going to be a tough couple of weeks keeping them seperated, making sure Zeke doesnt open the wound and getting him to take his meds! I didnt get to speak to my vet afterwards as I had to get my stepmum to pick him up as I couldnt get out of work. The whole situation is breaking my heart 😭

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I checked several veterinary sites which deal with enucleation and every single one of them stated that the cone needs to be kept on for up to 14 days....some more, some less. Since you just had this surgery today, it is imperative that you protect the surgery site and Zeke from any damage which might occur from either himself or your other cats. Sometimes with surgeries, a onesie will protect incisions, but there is no way that anything other than a cone is going to protect the eye from his pawing at it. As time goes on and healing begins, there may be itching at the surgery site which will cause Zeke to try to reach it.

10 Better Alternatives to the Cat “Cone of Shame” - Excited Cats

There are some pics here of alternatives to cones such as pillow types. Some cats will be more comfortable in a different style cone, but in his case he needs one that gives the eye full protection. Most vets advise the the cone can be taken off for the cat to eat, as long as you are with him, and then put back on. Aurora cannot be allowed to get to the eye. This situation is temporary and given that you just had the surgery today, call the vet and ask them for suggestions to help Zeke deal with the cone. He must have come home with antibiotics and pain killers which should make him sleepy? Since you did not get to talk to the vet, this would be a good time to update him on Zeke and ask some questions. Whatever adjustments you have to make are not going to last forever and Zeke will absolutely return to his old life.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if you could possibly put something over the area to protect it since the cone freaks him out so much. I know for people sometime an eye patch is used. Perhaps you can find one for a baby or something that will work for him. You'll still need to watch him to make sure he doesn't get that off. But it may be easier to deal with than a cone and will protect his eye area. You'll want one that won't put any pressure on the wound.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if you could possibly put something over the area to protect it since the cone freaks him out so much. I know for people sometimes an eye patch is used. Perhaps you can find one for a baby or something that will work for him. You'll still need to watch him to make sure he doesn't get that off. But it may be easier to deal with than a cone and will protect his eye area. You'll want one that won't put any pressure on the wound.
That would drive him crazy too. Plus they do not exist for cats anyway. I wish it was an option!