Possibly transitioning from low grain to grain-free dry...

lovely2011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CrumbAndHarvey

I really like the Blue Wilderness Duck... but at $35 for an 11/lb bag, that's a big difference from my $13 for an 8/lb bag. I don't know that I can afford to fully double my feeding costs right now.
I really thought I spent less than that on Blue Wildness, but maybe not. I do know that it takes me forever to go through that much cat food, even with two cats. They just don't need to eat that much of it. I supplement with canned (and I am picky about not wasting it), so maybe that's why.

tabbylove19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I am also from the NY area - Long Island and I know that Queens has lots of great small pet stores that carry high quality food and the small mom and pop shops tend to always be cheaper than Petco or Petsmart. I feed my 2 kitties Taste of the Wild and I actually find the cheapest prices when I order online. I get it from www.waggintails.com it's 10.99 for a 5lb bag, and $26.99 for 15lbs. Plus they give you a code for 10 percent off, after your first order you get weekly coupons for 15% off. It ends up being the best deal when you place a larger order - might not be worth it to order a 5lb bag online. From the pricing I have seen in NY, TOTW seems to be the least expensive grain free option and my kitties love their dry food. But as others have stated it's best to at least add some canned into their diet

Before I switched to TOTW I contacted the company and they sent me lots of samples of their food to make sure my kitties liked it. And I'm sure lots of the smaller pet stores in your area will carry it as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crumbandharvey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SweetPea24

So you must be bored without a third job! Lol!
Nor for long! Shows start back on the 14th!
On a more serious note, I bought this multivitamin today: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...#RatingsDetail They have good reviews on the website, and they're chewable -- he likes anything chewable, including toes. But do you think he doesn't need these, then? (I can always take them back.) I don't have them isolated because it's a 2 bedroom railroad apartment... so it's hard to keep away from anyone in our place! I will ask about the lysine; we have to go back late next week or early the next in order to get his 2nd combo, since he was too sniffly to get it last time. I also bought another filtered water dish for the other side of the house... I'm getting paranoid about water, now. And there were the catnip mice that were a dollar off...
My boyfriend says I need to stop hanging out on this board, because it's making me spend WAY too much.

Originally Posted by TabbyLove19

Before I switched to TOTW I contacted the company and they sent me lots of samples of their food to make sure my kitties liked it. And I'm sure lots of the smaller pet stores in your area will carry it as well.
Thank you SO MUCH for the link! I called a couple of smaller stores in Queens/Brooklyn and it's all about $10.99-$14.99 for the 5 lb. bag, but no one carries the 15 lb. bag! They all say they can order it for around $30.
It seems like Before Grain is still going to be the easiest for me to come by without relying on online ordering. I don't really have room in our tiny apartment to buy in too much bulk and store it anywhere. If they don't like Before Grain (which they're allowed not to!), I might give the website a try.

crumbandharvey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: they ate it!

Made the trip to Petco today, bought the 11 lbs bag of Chicken Before Grain on sale for only $21. I got home and put a little in the floor in front of each of them -- Harvey attacked it like it was treats, and Crumb sniffed a bit then ate all of his too. They are such tiny pieces! I did about a 25%-75% mix with their old food, and I'll increase it over the next week or two. If it's anything like when I switched Crumb from kitten to adult Authority, he'll start picking out all the new food, though!

Harvey ate the multivitamin like a treat... I don't think Crumb needs them though, so I'll just give the kitten 1 a day.

AND I bought a new filtered water dish for the other half of the apartment! Our apartment is divided by a 3 foot wide hallway, with the livingroom/cat nook/bedroom on one side, and the kitchen/DB's work studio on the other. It never occurred to me that they may be resisting thirst when they hang out with him while he's working. I've caught them both drinking from it several times. SO excited!

Thank you to EVERYONE for your help!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Made the trip to Petco today, bought the 11 lbs bag of Chicken Before Grain on sale for only $21. I got home and put a little in the floor in front of each of them -- Harvey attacked it like it was treats, and Crumb sniffed a bit then ate all of his too. They are such tiny pieces! I did about a 25%-75% mix with their old food, and I'll increase it over the next week or two. If it's anything like when I switched Crumb from kitten to adult Authority, he'll start picking out all the new food, though!

Harvey ate the multivitamin like a treat... I don't think Crumb needs them though, so I'll just give the kitten 1 a day.

AND I bought a new filtered water dish for the other half of the apartment! Our apartment is divided by a 3 foot wide hallway, with the livingroom/cat nook/bedroom on one side, and the kitchen/DB's work studio on the other. It never occurred to me that they may be resisting thirst when they hang out with him while he's working. I've caught them both drinking from it several times. SO excited!

Thank you to EVERYONE for your help!
Oh, that's super-exciting! Did you buy a fountain, or is the filtered water dish something that I've not heard of?

crumbandharvey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Oh, that's super-exciting! Did you buy a fountain, or is the filtered water dish something that I've not heard of?
We started getting them at PetSmart... it's not a fountain (Crumb doesn't like moving water), but it's almost like a Brita filter for cats. We just started using it about a month ago. It's called Replendish. $5 for 3 replacement filters. My cats like drinking enough to make it replenish, which makes the globe bubble.

http://www.petmate.com/replendish-waterers

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

We started getting them at PetSmart... it's not a fountain (Crumb doesn't like moving water), but it's almost like a Brita filter for cats. We just started using it about a month ago. It's called Replendish. $5 for 3 replacement filters. My cats like drinking enough to make it replenish, which makes the globe bubble.

http://www.petmate.com/replendish-waterers
Oh that is cool!!!

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Awesome!

Glad they are really enjoying their new numnums.