Possibly Pregnant Kitten (4-5 Months Old) Risks?

theblackswapper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi.

I just got back from the vet. The vet seemed to think there was a possibility that my kitten Whisper may be pregnant. An ultrasound was conducted, and we didn't see anything in that scan that indicated she was pregnant.

It is more that she's round and her nipples might be a little swolen. The vet even admitted that it might be a full bladder.

This is a new kitten. I adopted her a little over a week ago. I'm bringing her back to the vet in a couple of weeks.

Has anyone had any experience with anything like this? Could this pose a danger to Whisper?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, she is much too young and too small to be a mom. There are many health risks for the mom and kittens.

You should go ahead and have her spayed now.

Where did you get her?

bklyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You should ask your vet to schedule her spay as soon as possible. On the chance she is pregnant (which there's not too much evidence to suggest that she is), she would be early enough on to be spayed. Pregnancy is always hard on a cat, but especially for such a young kitten carrying a litter to term would not be safe for her health, or the health of her babies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

theblackswapper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, she is much too young and too small to be a mom. There are many health risks for the mom and kittens.

You should go ahead and have her spayed now.

Where did you get her?
An animal shelter, and the records indicate that she was from Georgia before coming up here to New England.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I asked because it’s unusual for a shelter to adopt out kittens without spaying them.

Did the shelter give you a voucher for the kitten to be spayed?

theblackswapper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes they did. There's a place around here thst will do it. They are very reasonable and safe, So I was going to use them.

We'll see. I'm keeping an eye on Whisper.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would proceed with the spay as soon as possible. Given her age it likely would be a very difficult pregnancy and birth. She may not have any viable kittens or be ready to care for them. Hopefully she isn't pregnant but the sooner it gets sorted out the better.

theblackswapper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Should I wait to see the vet again?

Aren't there risks for spaying a young cat?

I would proceed with the spay as soon as possible. Given her age it likely would be a very difficult pregnancy and birth. She may not have any viable kittens or be ready to care for them. Hopefully she isn't pregnant but the sooner it gets sorted out the better.

Beaglelover1980

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think she would be to young to be pregnant but i havent had a female cat in a long time i currently have a male. But i agree with the others if there is a possibility she could be pregnant you should get her spayed asap this could potentially kill her she is way to young to be a momma. You came to the right place for advice we are all cat lovers and look after each other so please keep us posted.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Should I wait to see the vet again?

Aren't there risks for spaying a young cat?
In my area kittens must be spayed and neutered before being adopted. Which means kittens in shelters here are neutered the moment they hit 2 pounds (typically 8-10 weeks). There are no ill affects and recovery is quicker in young kittens. My boy got neutered at 7 weeks with no ill
affects. The only reason my girl was spayed at 6 months was because she was underweight and sickly until about 8 months. If I could have I would have spayed her at 3 months when she first came in my home.

theblackswapper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah it seems young to me. Thanks. I just want to dfo what's best for her.

theblackswapper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In my area kittens must be spayed and neutered before being adopted. Which means kittens in shelters here are neutered the moment they hit 2 pounds (typically 8-10 weeks). There are no ill affects and recovery is quicker in young kittens. My boy got neutered at 7 weeks with no ill
affects. The only reason my girl was spayed at 6 months was because she was underweight and sickly until about 8 months. If I could have I would have spayed her at 3 months when she first came in my home.
Two pounds? Oh wow. I always heard it was better to do seven months or so. Maybe you're right.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yeah it seems young to me. Thanks. I just want to dfo what's best for her.
Cats have been known to get pregnant as young as four months old. My girls mom was around that age when she got pregnant. Luckily another female in the colony was pregnant at the same time because my girls mom abandoned the litter. The other mom stepped in and raised both litters before abandoning both litters at 6 weeks old.

Beaglelover1980

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They spay/neuter cats as early as 8 weeks old if there is a possibility she could be pregnant gettting her spayed now will basically terminate the pregnancy and that would be the best thing for her with being so young i would call the vet and ask for advice on the matter and it prob wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion on it but i think spaying her is the best option for her and if she is not prego thats even better you can get her spayed before she goes into heat for the first time and tou wont have to worry about her spraying or yowling or having unexpected visitors in your yard they can smell a female in heat a long ways away. Getting her spayed while she is a kitten is actually better for her also because she will heal quicker so as long as the vet gives the go ahead that she can have the surgery i would do it when you can.

theblackswapper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My other cat Stardust got pregnant around the same age. I adopted her and her daughter.

I honestly justvdidnt expect this with Whisper. It's one thing to hear about it. It's another to actually see it in a kitten you just adopted.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rather then waste money on a second opinion, I would just call the number on the voucher and schedule her in ASAP.

Beaglelover1980

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My other cat Stardust got pregnant around the same age. I adopted her and her daughter.

I honestly justvdidnt expect this with Whisper. It's one thing to hear about it. It's another to actually see it in a kitten you just adopted.
Yeah thats definately something unexpected but your such a pawsome pet parent you seem like a genuine person that cares alot for your babies and would do whatever it takes to make them happy and healthy thats pawsome. If you do decide to get a second opinion i would just call them and tell them the situation and see what they might be willing to tell you over the phone without saying they need to see her but if the first vet doesnt think she is preggers and did an ultrasound then that is wonderful. Do you have pictures of your babies? I love seeing kitty kats lol

Beaglelover1980

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There's snow coming here tomorrow, but I'm going to call around to see if anyone might be available for a second opinion on Wednesday or Thursday.
Where are you from? You may be able to find a low cost clinic in your area that will give her shots and spay her for a lot less than a regular vet. I only had to pay for the shots for my fur kitty they covered the cost of the neuter which was pawsome he got his rabies and distemper and his check for feli/felv all for $30 and they were so good to him i found him outside and took him in he was so thin and beat up i had to nurse him back to health before i could get him neutered but he is all completely healed from everything and is such a pawsome cat with a sweet cattitude. Please keep me posted and be careful in the weather i live in michigan we are in our winter to so its been long and nasty winter cant wait for spring lol