Possibly getting a dog. All info appreciated!

cla517

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My husband is on a dog kick again. We visited friends last night who just got a miniature pinscher and now he's got it in his head that he wants a small dog, too.

We have 2 male cats, both nuetered, 2 and 3 years old. Any info you have about dogs and cats getting along is appreciated. I'm afraid that the dog will upset my cats which I don't want.

Also, any recommendations regarding type of small dog that might be better (or worse) would be helpful too!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We just picked out our new puppy yesterday. We used to have 5 medium to large size dogs with our many cats and everyone got along great (after the initial adjustment period). We chose a lab/setter mix that will grow to be about 75-100 pounds (we like big dogs).

Any dog breed that was bred to go after (hunt) small furry animals can be very challenging (chows, beagles, greyhounds, terriers), although I had 2 greyhounds with no issues and I'm sure others here have the other breeds with no issues.

We have been doing research on this since it's been a year since we had a dog and are rusty with them. What I've read is that the best bonding period between dogs and cats is when the dog is from 8-14 weeks old. Most that I've rescued were much older than that and fit in, but the younger (if you can stand the puppy pooping and chewing) the better.

I suggest that you look up breed characteristics on the internet. Find out what they were bred for and avoid the obvious hunting dogs. I have also done a little digging at the www.bestfriends.org forums, where there is a great amount of information on introducing cats and dogs (more than what you will find at TCS).

I can't help you with small breeds, as have never had anything smaller than 45 pounds. But I will vote for a shelter dog!!

Good luck!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cla517

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info. My husband actually does want a big dog (a german shepard) but we live in a little house and so size is definitely a factor. He says he's "compromising" asking for a little one.

I will definitely do breed research. I hadn't thought about the problems that could be caused with a "hunting" dog. Thanks again!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ahhh....if you want a larger dog I vote for the lab or lab mix! You can never go wrong with a lab (IMO). I had a lab/border collie mix that absolutely adored the cats. His lab side kept him mellow around them, and his border collie side made him want to herd and protect them. He would stand guard over them for hours while they slept.

maui

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Momofmany
His lab side kept him mellow around them, and his border collie side made him want to herd and protect them. He would stand guard over them for hours while they slept.
How sweet! :kitty5:

I am thinking of getting a dog too. Thanks for the info.

eeva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think you got some good advice already. I have two cats and two Australian Terriers. The breed is for hunting small furry critters, but my two have gotten along with cats beautifully. Never dared test them with my guineapig though, I think that would have been pushing it. My Maine Coon is actually best friends with the dogs, head butts them all the time, sleeps curled up against them, and greets them with more enthusiasm than she does me when I've been gone with the dogs for the day!

My older cat who was here first has always adjusted well when I brought a new puppy home. She would just watch the puppy from a distance, slowly getting closer, and finally figure that the thing isn't going away.
Since my dogs do have a rather strong prey drive, it's been important to teach them that cats aren't prey, they are not to be chased. Then again, Australian Terriers are "softer" than many other terrier breeds and easier to train not to chase. I also think it's been crucial with my little zoo that I got the dogs as puppies, full-grown terriers might have been too difficult to integrate into a household with cats. Another thing that is important is that the cats have plenty of places up high they can get to but the dogs can't, so they can get away and be left alone if they want to.