Possibly feral cat + kittens in garage

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So this does vary, for example my current litter's eyes were beginning to open up on 2 of them at only 5 days old, but usually they begin to open around 8 days and are completely open at 10, or by 11.

In other words she moved them there at the time/shortly after giving birth, so they should be about 8 days old now.

You can pretty much count on them falling, they scoot around so much, and will follow to stay close to mom, and sooner or later, even with a board there, unless it's high all the way around that is, they will come out.

I'd put a large enough rug or something to cushion the fall. Mom will likely just put the baby back in, but it will happen over and over.

I wonder now, since it;s been a week if she will trust that they are safe, and allow them to be moved, just slightly, not too far or different from what she chose now, but adjust it a bit so they are in a better place.

Glad things are going well :)

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Like the update - and the progress you are having.

Something I'd like to mention.

You reporting about the eyes reminded me of the experience I've had with the 3 sets of kittens the mother cat brought to my garage.

I noticed that they seemed to go through a phase with their eyes being closed and "gookie".  With each one that looked like the eye or eyes were in distress, the mother cat took care of that herself without any human intervention.  

So, if you see this begin to happen with yours you won't be all that surprised and not feel that you must do something to give them aid.  Well, that's been my experience - I have no medical training - just have watched these phases and watched as the mother has been nursing them - yes, pun intended. :)

When I first saw this happening I became frustrated - no $$ for vet expenses, and having to wait to see if I needed to go rob a bank to get them the care they might need.  Fortunately - Mother Nature has this sort of thing covered.  It's so good that you have their mommy to give them the kind of care that only she can really provide.

Good work!

Oh, and giving mommy the wet food is Super Great, IMO

Moist food the most preferred, and - you might even offer her some raw pieces of chicken breast.

I buy frozen breasts at Sam's Club. I take one or two pieces, put into a bowl, cover with water, and defrost (not cook) in the microwave.  I then cut it up into small pieces. The defrosting makes chicken broth that seems to be most enjoyed by my cats.  Remember no seasonings, just raw to semi-raw meat. :) ...  If she doesn't want it, maybe the kittens will - especially the broth (salt-less) - when they get old enough to eat.  Failing that - you'll have chicken to eat. LOL

For Litter:  I buy a tote tub at WalMart, cut a hole in it, and use that for my litter container.  I don't put on the cover.  I do use the World's Best Litter, Multiple cats.  I like it because it is lighter, and produces very little to none dust.  I'll try to find my link about the Tote Tub Litter container and post it if you're interested.  :)

Last edited:

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is the image address that I posted before.  You can cut the hole in the side or in the end.  It should be high enough to contain the litter.  I buy this kind of plastic because the clear plastic is difficult to cut.

DSC03877-1-1-1.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sxeaaron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is the image address that I posted before.  You can cut the hole in the side or in the end.  It should be high enough to contain the litter.  I buy this kind of plastic because the clear plastic is difficult to cut.

DSC03877-1-1-1.jpg
I have a few of those around. They have stuff in them, but I'll give this a shot. When do the kittens need to start using it? I thought it was once they started eating normal food.

A friend of mine bought me a brand new plastic litter tray which I was going to put down as a litter box, but I may put the kittens in there instead. It has high edges I don't think they'll be able to climb over. 

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise

DSC03877-1-1-1.jpg
I have a few of those around. They have stuff in them, but I'll give this a shot. When do the kittens need to start using it? I thought it was once they started eating normal food.

A friend of mine bought me a brand new plastic litter tray which I was going to put down as a litter box, but I may put the kittens in there instead. It has high edges I don't think they'll be able to climb over. 
Not sure when they'll start using it - but it will be there for mommy's use, and they will take her lead.

More than one litter pan might be useful, too. ?  I have 4 cats (1 mommy, 3 kittens)  in the garage and have always had two litter pans, in different locations.

I use boxes for the nests in the garage - you never know where the mother will want her babies, and she will move them to a place of her liking, anyway.  For me,  and from what I've read here - I can understand you're concern - but - I'd just put holes in large boxes for her to pick from and she'll probably put them there - I guess that I would favor that more than trying to decide for her. The more seclusive spot the better - mine are all on the lower shelves of our storage.  They have a lot of privacy, too.

The boxes are easier to throw away when they start their little poopies that the mother no longer cleans up and they haven't started using the litter pans provided. :)  I've found poopies in several places in my garage, and believe me it was nice just to be able to throw away the nesting box.  :)