Possibly adopting a 4 week old stray need some advice

gabby6411

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I stumbled onto this site while searching for answers and I am loving all the info available.  I need some advice/thoughts regarding a situation I am in. 

My sister works in a trucking yard, they have a large amount of stray and feral cats.  She has found a mother and 3 kittens, she believes they are about 3-4 weeks old.  They look very undernourished and are starting to wander some.  She saved one from drowning yesterday.  I am considering adopting one.

I was thinking that they would be better off in a safe environment, I would have no problem with bottle feeding.  I am wondering about shots and a vet.  I know they cannot have shots til they are 8 weeks old, so should I just de-worm and bath for fleas and wait til 8 weeks?

I'm sorry for so many questions, My daughter and I really want to save one and we have wanted a cat for a while but I want to be prepared and of course want to be aware of the finances.

My mother has had cats my whole life so I know the care they need and I have a 2 year old indoor rabbit so I'm only concerned about getting him/her past the baby stage and then I am good.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, essentially it is so as you say.  You COULD have him /her for a vet check up already now, and it is prob wise, but not really necessary, if you dont have residents who must be safequarded.

You dotn let him met this bunny before he is defleased and de-earmites-ed, of course.  Have him in the beginning somewhere it is easy to clean.

The only question left is really, if you could take two, not just one.  In many situations it is easier to have two than one. Not the nearest weeks when you bottle feed, but later on!

A good advantage of taking in the kitten is, you will foster and socialize him. He will be a home raised kitten without any problems.  Left outside, he will hopefully survive, especielly if he and mom gets some help from you and your sis.  But it will be a life as a semiferale...

It is possible to foster them later on too, even as adult, but it is more difficult, and they usually become shy as pets these fostered later in life.

So proceed with your plans, do come with questions, and reports.

A good site to get inspiration from is www.kitten-resuce.com.

You will of course find a wealth at this our site too.  Even youtube can help.

Good luck!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with Stephan - if you can manage it, take two.  A kitten that young needs companionship.  Also, they will need to be taught how to be a cat.  When kittens are adopted so young, we inadvertently stop their education at a critical point.  For instance, mom and siblings can teach a kitten valuable lessons about play.  When they get too rough, a swat or hiss from mom tells them when to chill.  We usually don't do that, so a lot of cats adopted at a very young age don't know when to quit.

So, if you are able to bottle feed two, please do so.  Perhaps you can care for all of them, socialize them, and find homes for those you can't keep yourself.

I would take them to the vet soon, just for a check-up.  If they are appearing malnourished, they may be susceptible to disease, so it won't hurt to have that check-up.

A bath with regular Dawn dishwashing liquid will be a great start at getting rid of the fleas.  The vet can offer more advice and perhaps treatments.  Get their ears cleaned, too.  Earmites are horrible and can do lasting damage.

Finally, if you and your sister can work with local rescues, perhaps you can get mommy fixed as well.  It will certainly stop the cycle, at least for that one cat.  Thank you for helping them!