Possible to build a flea/tick free catio?

rin68nyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We’re looking to build a catio this summer, and would love to build one that is flea/tick free to avoid topical meds, if possible. At its lowest point, it will be a foot off the ground (or maybe more, so that a lawn mower can go under to get the grass near the deck…which is a foot off the ground), and we plan to screen it in. Is this enough? Is there anything else we can do to flea/tick proof it?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
No shrubs,hard spray your porch once a month. There are certain plants fleas do not like. Topic wasdiscussed today! today!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rin68nyr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I found one that asked about meds, and one that talked about a catio with a concrete floor…but not one that answered my question …so I posted

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I just read that cedar chips/mulch are flea repellents - maybe replace (or cover) the grass below the catio this type of mulch? Also read that there are pet-safe sulfur powders/sprays that could be placed in that area - they are actually supposed to kill fleas. Another option is to look into nematodes, which are worms that will give fleas a bacterium (safe for humans and animals) that will kill them. You might want to look into these options.

I would also spray the catio floor with flea/egg killers on a periodic basis. There are tons of stuff out there, but you can start your internet search with Precor 2000, and then a whole bunch of other similar products will 'pop up'! Cedarwood oil (one brand is Wondercide) is actually supposed to kill fleas, so that might be another option to spray the catio floor with.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I just read that cedar chips/mulch are flea repellents - maybe replace (or cover) the grass below the catio this type of mulch? Also read that there are pet-safe sulfur powders/sprays that could be placed in that area - they are actually supposed to kill fleas. Another option is to look into nematodes, which are worms that will give fleas a bacterium (safe for humans and animals) that will kill them. You might want to look into these options.

I would also spray the catio floor with flea/egg killers on a periodic basis. There are tons of stuff out there, but you can start your internet search with Precor 2000, and then a whole bunch of other similar products will 'pop up'! Cedarwood oil (one brand is Wondercide) is actually supposed to kill fleas, so that might be another option to spray the catio floor with.
We've got wondercide ready to use as soon as we get all the stones raked up in ours!
I have a bag of the cedar cide granules too.
I have no idea if this works but maybe look into it. If the catio is up off the ground, you might be able to use it around the fence vs. actually in the catio.