Possible tapeworm (rice looking egg)

Jacp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello I recently rescued my kitten, Sage. I have noticed little rice looking eggs on my bedding that are hard and when I split it open they are hollow inside. She is eating/drinking/eliminating fine and very playful. She has a mild URI that I am treating with antibiotics rn and received the revolution topical flea/tick/worm eliminator about a month ago (another due in July). I haven’t noticed any worms in her feces either. I’m just wondering if it could be a different type of worm that requires a different treatment?

catheetiem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure what tapeworm segments look like when broken open, but otherwsie sounds like a tapeworm to me!! She may not have any other symptoms from the tapeworm, often the only clue that a cat has one is that little egg. But as far as I can recall, Revolution will not get rid of the tapeworm, the kitten needs medicine from the vet specifically for that species.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jacp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel like I should add that she had fleas when I first got her so I’m guessing it’s very possible that’s how she got the worm. I attached a picture (it’s not the best but hope it helps identify)

Attachments

Jacp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello my kitten has little white worms in her poop and rice looking eggs in my bedding. I have done some research and figured out its most likely a tapeworm. I called my vet to try to get in on Monday. I read that the rice looking larva are coming out and hopefully trying to get eaten by fleas to start the whole infestation again. She has two more rounds of revolution to go and hopefully the tapeworm meds take care of the worm problem. I’m just wondering if she eats the rice larva will she be reinfested? How quickly does the tapeworm meds kill the tapeworm?

Jacp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is exactly what they look like thank you. Taking to vet asap

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tapeworm meds work pretty fast, in my experience. But you do have to repeat it in 3 weeks because new worms will hatch. So make sure to get 2 doses or arrange with the vet to pick up the second dose at the right time.

If I understand the tapeworm life cycle properly, a flea is required as an intermediary host. The flea larvae eat the tapeworm eggs, the cat eats the flea, etc. I think if the egg is eaten directly by the cat it won't do anything.

Dipylidium_LifeCycle_lg.jpg

catheetiem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I think as long as you take care of the flea problem you should be good. My vet gave the tapeworm dewormer as an injection and that was that!