Possible Stroke-Help!/Update 8/28!

Carolynjacksmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My almost 12-year-old cat Jack O'Lantern, had excessive behaviors so much one night- keading, rubbing against everything, meowing, head butting- so much so it was alarming. Took her to the vet the next day my vet said looks like she has "anxiety". Note: she's had great health on her life. They gave her Gabapentin to calm her. She became very lethargic, couldn't climb up onto the bed or her shelf by the window. I gave it to her for 3 days and stopped. Other symptoms were showing up that alarm me. Came home from work and all of a sudden she was dragging her back leg, next night it was pointed out, started walking in circles like crazy. Back to the vet again. Reaction tests were done in office and blood work was taken. But there says she has sudden blindness possible brain mass or stroke. I was in shock and in tears. Talk to my regular vet the next day- a CAT scan was $1,000 to check for brain tumor. She ruled out blood clot and foot because she would be in pain and be able to walk on it. Seems like she had a stroke,not anxiety. Could have been brought on by kidney disease but I can't seem to get a urine sample for her. Her blood pressure was excellent as well as all her blood work came out fine-thus this was the prognosis given. I brought her in and that gave her a steroid injection- hopefully to reduce inflammation and hopefully her appetite increase. It's been 2 days since the injection. Eating very little wet food couple of licks. Sleeping all the time but she does get up. My heart is breaking, but all you cat lovers know how that is. I called my vet today and left a message I didn't get a call back. Going to call tomorrow, but I have to work 11 hours shift. I believe in God and Jesus Christ and I am praying for healing. Just reaching out to see if anyone else has gone through anything like this and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last edited:

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How have you tried to get a urine sample from her?
Has the vet not tried to collect the urine sample using a method called cystocentesis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Carolynjacksmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello - I'm so very sorry. Do you have a veterinarian you can talk to, a different one, or one from a different clinic altogether? They should be able to get a urine sample with a needle.

Have you talked to them about an appetite stimulant, or even B12?

Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!
My vet did mention something to stimulate her appetite, but needed to see how she was going react to the steroid injection. That's why I called her today to let her know what was going on, hopefully she'll call me tomorrow. Thanks for replying appreciate it.

Carolynjacksmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How have you tried to get a urine sample from her?
Has the vet not tried to collect the urine sample using a method called cystocentesis.
Yes they try to get a urine sample from her when I was in the office but there wasn't anything to get at that time. They sent me home with a dropper, jar and pellets to get a urine sample. I spent more money about another litter box, but she won't use it she peed outside the box. She will only use her regular litter box. Very frustrating. Thanks for responding

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes they try to get a urine sample from her when I was in the office but there wasn't anything to get at that time. They sent me home with a dropper, jar and pellets to get a urine sample. I spent more money about another litter box, but she won't use it she peed outside the box. She will only use her regular litter box. Very frustrating. Thanks for responding
Can you use her normal litter box if that's the one she preferes? I think you could empty it and put the pellets in that box for her

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats won't use the pellets either. just make her hold it for a few hours ahead of time and you should have enough pee.

The other thing i did was a catch tray, waited for my cat to take a pee in an uncovered box and quickly slid the tray under the tail mid stream.

My cats are both particular with their litter and will only go on clay or sand.

Last edited:

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have issues collecting a sample could you call and take her in after she hasn't went for a couple hours? See if you would be able to bring her in just for them to get a sample if you can't get one from her.. maybe they would be able and willing squeeze you in just to get the sample? I think it would be better for them to get the sample anyway because that's the most sterile way for them to get one. It would be worth calling them and asking if you would want to take her just make sure she drinks some and then take her about an hour or 2 later. I know they told me to not let my baby, Gabby pee for 1 hour before the appointment. So they could collect it.. it is just a thought that popped up in my head. I really hope you are able to get the sample at home though. Then you can just take the sample in to them and not have to drag your kitty back to the vet again just for a urine sample..

Carolynjacksmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats won't use the pellets either. just make her hold it for a few hours ahead of time and you should have enough pee.

The other thing i did was a catch tray, waited for my cat to take a pee in an uncovered box and quickly slid the tray under the tail mid stream.

My cats are both particular with their litter and will only go on clay or sand.
Actually thought of trying to get some while she was going- catch tray good idea. I'm going to try homemade one.Thanks

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart hurts for you, it is possible for her to regain some function, only time will tell. Steroids will help the inflammation. inflammation may be pressing on her optic nerves too. They take 3-5 days before they start working, I'll pray for her. Get some Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors in the cat food treat section. they are gel-like and easy to eat. Cats love them. Put any meds in them too. (hopefully liquid) She knows you are concerned, love is so important to her right now. Bless you for helping her........

Carolynjacksmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you have issues collecting a sample could you call and take her in after she hasn't went for a couple hours? See if you would be able to bring her in just for them to get a sample if you can't get one from her.. maybe they would be able and willing squeeze you in just to get the sample? I think it would be better for them to get the sample anyway because that's the most sterile way for them to get one. It would be worth calling them and asking if you would want to take her just make sure she drinks some and then take her about an hour or 2 later. I know they told me to not let my baby, Gabby pee for 1 hour before the appointment. So they could collect it.. it is just a thought that popped up in my head. I really hope you are able to get the sample at home though. Then you can just take the sample in to them and not have to drag your kitty back to the vet again just for a urine sample..
spoke with Vet, said we can live without the urine test. Just checking for possible UTI-( I have Holstics drops that I can give her for that if needed) all the other tests were great and no kidney disease. Thanks.

Carolynjacksmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My heart hurts for you, it is possible for her to regain some function, only time will tell. Steroids will help the inflammation. inflammation may be pressing on her optic nerves too. They take 3-5 days before they start working, I'll pray for her. Get some Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors in the cat food treat section. they are gel-like and easy to eat. Cats love them. Put any meds in them too. (hopefully liquid) She knows you are concerned, love is so important to her right now. Bless you for helping her........
Thank you! She's already showing some improvement- she's not dragging her leg anymore and it seems "a bit" back in correct alignment. She saw lizard and snapped her head towards it , she also found something in my hand for about a half a minute. Vet said her blindness may be going in and out which is encouraging, better than total. She also tried climbing up on my bed last night where she got the energy and she hasn't done that since it's all started nine days ago ( she did fall off only because there wasn't enough room and I was sleeping didn't know she was climbing up till it woke me up- she always sleeps with me but hasn't been able to lately because she's falling off the bed with this going on so I won't put her up with me, for now.) I'm excited about that. Yes, it's a wait and see. I actually have been given her Delectables Bisque- she'll eat it one minute, then she won't, so I'm putting tuna juice on everything and that seems to be helping ( no dry food at this time she won't eat any of it anyway and she always loved her dry- previous to this, I was trying to get her back on more wet food). I also just picked up Nutricol to help stimulate appetite and get some vitamins into her body to help her heal. Thank you for your prayers- I'm believing God for a complete healing!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you! She's already showing some improvement- she's not dragging her leg anymore and it seems "a bit" back in correct alignment. She saw lizard and snapped her head towards it , she also found something in my hand for about a half a minute. Vet said her blindness may be going in and out which is encouraging, better than total. She also tried climbing up on my bed last night where she got the energy and she hasn't done that since it's all started nine days ago ( she did fall off only because there wasn't enough room and I was sleeping didn't know she was climbing up till it woke me up- she always sleeps with me but hasn't been able to lately because she's falling off the bed with this going on so I won't put her up with me, for now.) I'm excited about that. Yes, it's a wait and see. I actually have been given her Delectables Bisque- she'll eat it one minute, then she won't, so I'm putting tuna juice on everything and that seems to be helping ( no dry food at this time she won't eat any of it anyway and she always loved her dry- previous to this, I was trying to get her back on more wet food). I also just picked up Nutricol to help stimulate appetite and get some vitamins into her body to help her heal. Thank you for your prayers- I'm believing God for a complete healing!
The improvements are great honestly. It's been 9 days since this started and she is showing good signs. I am praying for a complete recovery for her.
I didn't know the only reason they wanted a urine was to check for a uti. So it really isn't prevalent to her symptoms.
It really sounds like things are starting to look up for her. Please keep us posted on her progress. She is in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy and full recovery.

Carolynjacksmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The improvements are great honestly. It's been 9 days since this started and she is showing good signs. I am praying for a complete recovery for her.
I didn't know the only reason they wanted a urine was to check for a uti. So it really isn't prevalent to her symptoms.
It really sounds like things are starting to look up for her. Please keep us posted on her progress. She is in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy and full recovery.
Thank you &God Bless You!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
she did fall off only because there wasn't enough room and I was sleeping didn't know she was climbing up till it woke me up- she always sleeps with me but hasn't been able to lately because she's falling off the bed with this going on so I won't put her up with me, for now.)
Can you get steps, and a high sided pet bed so that she can climb up to your bed, and then can utilize the pet bed on your bed so she doesn't fall off?

https://www.chewy.com/zinus-easy-ca...xmmEcytHooygqQ3Fkl-AP1RmZTjeH7aBoCs-kQAvD_BwE

https://www.chewy.com/best-friends-by-sheri-throne-cuddler/dp/219963?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=20030064131&utm_content=Best Friends by Sheri&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAjwoqGnBhAcEiwAwK-OkYsa3qqyDr1pUa5cr-_LlbR4Du0zRB9Rh7plDJccfuh9KGqDxWVjgxoCR78QAvD_BwE

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also build pet steps if you are handy. Ive actualy been thinking of making a set for Kabuto.

Rather than an elevated pet bed many seinior cats enjoy a medeum cushion dog bed. Even better if you get memory foam.

Carolynjacksmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I actually have foam pet stairs that I just started training her on- I still had to way to go as she preferred to jump out into the bed in one certain spot, but I was working with her. But now that will have to wait to see if her sight -comes back. I'm not going to stress her out with any kind of training right now while she's still healing. Thank you..PS: last night I had a circus- Jack Atlanta jumped on her little box by the window and then went for my bed back and forth like three and four times also climbed up the bed in the middle of the night and slept with me. She also ate an actual half pouch of food for the first time in 10 days - I'm esattic and greatful for her progress to God and thankful for everyone that's praying. Now,I'd like to see Improvement in sight, purring (she hasn't since all this started), eating more so she can get a bowel movement going. Heck I want it all complete healing for my Jack O'Lantern- she's my only fur baby left!

Carolynjacksmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE: Jack O'Lantern is making great improvements ( she's eating a bit more, leg is not dragging and "almost" completely restored to its original position, I think she can see some ( Vet said maybe her sight is coming and going instead of completely gone), I'm testing her and she seems to be looking at things - chased a lizard -twice, her eyes followed string when put in front of her, she finally had a bowel movement, circling is completely gone, she's climbing up on the bed, and one night on her box in the window, climb on the pet stairs ( she's not fully trained on that I just started before all this happened), etc... Praise God!! I am believing for her complete healing and physical restoration and to live out her life as God intended. Vet said (this was a few days before all these improvements really started showing up) she could live a couple months, a couple of years, she might have another stroke or not- it's all speculation they only know so much about stokes in cats. If her symptoms reappear or she did have another stroke, then I will have to put her to sleep (I am prepared for that), but I'm not even going down that road right now- I'm just seeing healing and believing for that! God can do amazing things! I of course am still involved with her Vet, God wants us to use wisdom. It's been quite the difficult and expensive Journey and now it's One Day At A Time for us! So great progress - just waiting to hear her purr again - and she will! I would like to "Thank" everyone for their prayers ( you can keep them coming), the concern and advice. I'll be offline for a while and if there's any new updates down the road I will send another update. God Bless and Heartfelt Thank You To All That Responded!