Possible Stomatitis...worried

crystalnicole

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

My Lulu is 3 and she's been having problems with her mouth. She went in for her first dental cleaning about a month ago, and all was fine for the first few weeks. About two weeks ago she stopped eating her hard food and I noticed her gums were really red and she just seemed a bit "off".

I took her to the vet yesterday and the vet was shocked as to how inflamed and red her gums were, because when they saw her for her cleaning she was fine. Also, she's super young and her teeth are as clean as a whistle. The vet said it looks like she may be developing Stomatitis.

Some background: When I adopted Lulu at 4 weeks old, she was really sick and she actually tested positive for FIV at the time. However, the vet told me to take it with a grain of salt and that she's probably not "actually" positive...but her mom probably had it and she was still still carrying around her antibodies. They said it was very rare for mothers to pass FIV to their kittens, as it's almost always spread via blood/fighting between cats. I never got her re-tested because she's been fine ever since then. Totally healthy with no problems.

Anyway, when I mentioned this to the vet yesterday he was worried that she might actually be positive and that's what could be causing the gingivitis/possibleStomatitis. He told me that it's an autoimmune disease and sometimes cats can get it after dental cleanings because the tarter build up attacks the gums or something? I don't remember the exact wording but it made sense at the time. I didn't get her re-tested yesterday because I'm low in money (just started a new job), and it wouldn't have changed the treatment at this point anyway. I plan on it soon though.

Anyway, he gave her an antibiotic injection (Convenia) and sent her home with pain meds (Buprenex drops). However, I'm seeing no improvement whatoever. She's hiding under the bed which isn't like her. I gave her the drops yesterday but I'm worried she may not be getting the full dose because this is technically a "sublingual" medication that is absorbed through the mucus membranes in the mouth, and the instructions say to squirt it between the cheek and lower gums. I've tried, but it seems like she just keeps swallowing most of it. Does anyone have experience with this medcation? Any tips to make it easier? Keep in mind it's even more difficult to get near her mouth because she's in so much pain.

After I gave it to her last night she seemed a little bit better for awhile, and slept most of the evening. She ate a full can of wet food. She's only eaten about half a can today.

Does anyone have experience with this? Any advice or words of wisdom? I'm really hoping she won't have to get her teeth pulled. How long does it typically take for Convenia to work?

Any help would be so appreciated.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't dealt with stomatitis but here is an article on it Gingivitis And Stomatitis In Cats

These things always seem to happen at the worst possible time money wise. I would start with the FIV test. Cats can live long lives with a good quality of life but it would be good to know if she does have it. Full mouth extractions are the best treatment for stomatitis if that is what she has. Cats actually do quite well without their teeth.

Buprenex is difficult to give. All you can do is the best that you can. I think all cats do swallow some it, they don't know to not swallow and let it be absorbed through the mouth tissue.