Possible solution to food rotation, and need for toppers

korina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This proposition is tailored to my specific scenario.

I feed ground diet (95% from Hare-Today, and grind at home in future). I also give drumsticks and necks as treats daily.

My kittens will eat rabbit almost every time, only rejecting if they are not hungry,.

I feed it every other day and the other days, I rotate through my other HT meats.

As I introduce new proteins, I gauge their reaction and adjust my next orders accordingly. 

They have gobbled on chicken, pork, goat and mutton. 

The one meat they outright rejected (skipped TWO meals, offered over 24 hour period) was goose.

With all the meats that are not rabbit, at one point I had to add a topper or drop in some wet food (which they would not eat anyways) and they would finish (except the goose).

Like many cats on rotating diets, its hard to tell if a rejection is because they are not hungry or are repulsed.

So here is my proposed solution that I may start doing tonight, please read and share if you have tried this, or have a better idea.

1. Defrost 1lb of constant protein (rabbit) and 1lb of daily rotation protein (chicken today, pork tomorrow, lamb next day, goat etc).

2. Mix in bowl. (Either fully blend or have separate proteins chunk, each cat is different).

3. Serve.

As as they like rabbit flavor, this will hopefully reduce rejections of rotating proteins.

Stop the bribing (toppers).

This addresses the low fat and high bone ratio of their staple of rabbit.

This would also address those who fear/think that cats will have a perpetual "upset stomach" if they don't eat the same thing every day.

The only negative, in my book is my 2 cats eat 1lb a day, so I only have to defrost 1lb at a time and that will be consumed in 24 hours.

Now I will have to do two pounds, mix serve and store the other day and a half in the fridge, not the biggest deal, I just got used to the freshness factor.

Thanks!

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats eat mostly Hare Today too.  And I also decided, when introducing new proteins, to mix them with 50% chicken (because that is the favorite around here, though 3 of the 4 love rabbit too, and the fourth accepts it okay.)  They seemed to accept mutton and duck pretty easily with this approach.  Lately I haven't felt adventuresome when ordering so I've stuck with their mainstays...chicken, turkey and rabbit. 
my 2 cats eat 1lb a day
I was scratching my head at the "my cats aren't hungry sometimes" part of your post.  I've never experienced that unless someone is sick.  I wonder if their meals aren't a bit large.  I know all cats are different but my 4 cats go through 1 lb per day, and that one pound is enough for their two main meals.  (They do get a small midday snack of a tiny bit of freeze dried raw, or grain free kibble or other random things like sardines.) 

I'd like to have mine munching on bone in meats someday like yours do for their drumstick and neck treats.  Mine could definitely use the dental benefit.  Did you have to train them to accept those?  (Pretty sure two of mine would be very slow to dig in.  And one who would love to doesn't have the teeth for it.) 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

korina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcatmom

My cats eat mostly Hare Today too. And I also decided, when introducing new proteins, to mix them with 50% chicken (because that is the favorite around here, though 3 of the 4 love rabbit too, and the fourth accepts it okay.) They seemed to accept mutton and duck pretty easily with this approach. Lately I haven't felt adventuresome when ordering so I've stuck with their mainstays...chicken, turkey and rabbit.)
Wicked, so you do the same thing except use chicken as base.  All the same, when I graduate to grinding (coming soon) I will prob do same as you as chicken will certainly become the staple then.    

Quote:
I was scratching my head at the "my cats aren't hungry sometimes" part of your post. I've never experienced that unless someone is sick. I wonder if their meals aren't a bit large. I know all cats are different but my 4 cats go through 1 lb per day, and that one pound is enough for their two main meals. (They do get a small midday snack of a tiny bit of freeze dried raw, or grain free kibble or other random things like sardines.)
Well the caveat is they are kittens, I am not worried about wasting food but that they get enough.

There have been plenty of days where they finish a pound of rabbit, and an egg yolk, and maybe a drumstick.

MAYBE the lack of fat in the rabbit makes them hungry, and other meats the fat fills them quickly?

They are also not smart enough to tell me they are hungry yet (no crying, only jumping on counters like madmen when i am in the kitchen)

As to rejection by adults, in my experience (canned food) my older cat would pick and choose.  I always thought she was being picky, but over years I realized she might not be hungry.  Or is she such a piggy she would starve herself until she got what I think she wants?

In her case, when you can classify a food as "rejection free" then you know you have a problem (wellness pouch and NV rabbit cans were her rejection free food)

Regardless of her desires, I had a 12 hour rule, if she rejected that long, I would toss and try again. She was fed 5 brands, with a total of 10-20 varieties total.

Again, all of my cats get rotating diets for years now. In canned that means a different variety everyday, for dry food years back it was always a mix of 2-3 brands.

Maybe there is a complex cats can develop who get daily rotations?

They think "I dont like the smell of this, I will grin and bear it till the boss starts cursing at the bowl and then I get a second course of the good stuff" 

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well the caveat is they are kittens, I am not worried about wasting food but that they get enough.
Ah, kittens....makes total sense now!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

korina

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LOL, I once did the math I think they were fed near 10% of bodyweight! I need to reweigh them see if i am still at that ratio.

I should also mention all the cats are bengals.

The old lady, when she was young and on dry and wet, she would consume a whole 5.5 ounce can in one sitting.

Or eat her 3oz pouch so fast she's lucky she didn't choke. She could eat 200+ calories a day.