Possible Social Disorder in Cats?

ogkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My roommate's cat, Sofia (female, adopted, at least 4 yrs old) has this strange problem when it comes to her encounters with my cats (Savannah-Icky 6 mo, and Bengal-Furfur 4 yrs both male) and encounters with my roommates other cat, another female- Dakota.  Its a very large 3 story house so I don't think its a space issue, and her issues with the other female cat have gone on before we all moved in together.

With all that background in place here is her very strange behavior:

- Sofia seems to be interested in the other cats but when she gets close to them she hisses and bats at them. It almost seems to surprise her as she doesn't have defensive stance at all, she looks fine and curious and not threatened, but she'll just explode with these hisses at all the other cats!

-She loves people and is desperate for attention (my roommate is rarely home so they come to us for a lot of attention)

-The 6 month old Savannah, Icky, loves everyone and everything, he plays with both Furfur and Dakota. Nothing frightens him (water, vacuum, strangers) he has no fear. When we first got him and he was little he seemed to be the first cat that Sofia would play with, then one day we come home from work and Icky is afraid of her. He starts staying in our room (where she isn't aloud) and when he does go out he keeps his distance.

-Tonight we felt bad for the other cats so we let them all in our room. Icky, Furfur, and Dakota all went to the top of the cat tree and watched her. Sofia climbed the side and batted Icky down, then she went in the hutch and hissed at Dakota until she left. Furfur was the only one who stood his ground. Since Icky seemed scared we gave Sofia some good pets and put her outside of our room. We then gave Icky attention and tried to show him that the cat tree was his and he shouldn't be afraid he immediately started growling like I've never heard. 

What is wrong with this cat? How can we help her? This doesn't seem like typical agressive behavior simply because she doesn't look agressive when she harasses the other cats, but it freaks me out that my kitten is so afraid of her and I'd really like to fix this!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 she doesn't have defensive stance at all, she looks fine and curious and not threatened, but she'll just explode with these hisses at all the other cats!
-She loves people and is desperate for attention

Icky, Furfur, and Dakota all went to the top of the cat tree and watched her. Sofia climbed the side and batted Icky down, then she went in the hutch and hissed at Dakota until she left. Furfur was the only one who stood his ground.

What is wrong with this cat? How can we help her? This doesn't seem like typical agressive behavior simply because she doesn't look agressive when she harasses the other cats,
I wonder, if she isnt simply dominating, fancing herself as the alpha cat, but in this case being a negative leader.

Is she spayed?  Spaying isnt remedy for all, they can be dominating anyway, but it is a good first try.

Lets hope others will contribute and add up!

Welcome to our Forums!

Good luck!

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My roommate's cat, Sofia (female, adopted, at least 4 yrs old) has this strange problem when it comes to her encounters with my cats (Savannah-Icky 6 mo, and Bengal-Furfur 4 yrs both male)

What generation is the Savannah? Meaning, F1-F5? Do you mind me asking, what, breeder you got the cat from. Yes, in some cases, it does matter, what, breeder the cat came from? Is the Savannah castrated? I am guessing, the, Bengal is SBT. If not, do you know, what, generation (F1-F5) the cat is?

and encounters with my roommates other cat, another female- Dakota.

Is Dakota a domestic or is she a specific breed? Same question for the roommates cat.

Its a very large 3 story house so I don't think its a space issue, and her issues with the other female cat have gone on before we all moved in together.

What is the issue? Hybrids (Bengals, Chausie, Safari and Savannah) act very differently, then, the truly domestic breeds.

With all that background in place here is her very strange behavior:

- Sofia seems to be interested in the other cats but when she gets close to them she hisses and bats at them.

How long, have the Savannah and Bengal, been, interacting with the other cat(s)?

It almost seems to surprise her as she doesn't have defensive stance at all, she looks fine and curious and not threatened, but she'll just explode with these hisses at all the other cats!

How do the Savannah and Bengal, react, to the other cat(s)? How do the Savannah and Bengal, react, to each other?

-She loves people and is desperate for attention (my roommate is rarely home so they come to us for a lot of attention)

If, your roommates cat, is a pure domestic, then, she might not like sharing the attention with the Bengal and Savannah. In my experience, with my hybrids, is, they would "share me". While, my domestics would NOT!

-The 6 month old Savannah, Icky, loves everyone and everything, he plays with both Furfur and Dakota.

My F3 Savannah, when, he was alive loved everyone and everything. He loved all my domestic cats, even though, only, one of them was "nice" to him.

Nothing frightens him (water, vacuum, strangers) he has no fear.

A nice well socialized Savannah
. My F3, was, just like that too

When we first got him and he was little he seemed to be the first cat that Sofia would play with, then one day we come home from work and Icky is afraid of her.

Why do you think, the Savannah, is/was, afraid of the domestic cat (Sofia)? Like, what behaviors does the Savannah exhibit, to make you feel that way.

He starts staying in our room (where she isn't aloud) and when he does go out he keeps his distance.

The Savannah, keeps his distance from the domestic (Sofia) or the Bengal too?

-Tonight we felt bad for the other cats so we let them all in our room. Icky, Furfur, and Dakota all went to the top of the cat tree and watched her.

Let me make sure, that, I got this straight: Icky is a Savannah, Furfur is a Bengal, and Dakota is domestic cat?

Sofia climbed the side and batted Icky down, then she went in the hutch and hissed at Dakota until she left.

I am assuming, Sofia is a pure domestic cat? Unless, you have a small F4 or F5 Savannah, it is very unlikely in my opinion and experience, that, a domestic could truly intimidate a Savannah. Unless, the Savannah and domestic, just, started to interact.

Furfur was the only one who stood his ground.

Is Furfur the male Bengal? A well socialized SBT Bengal, is, a very calm and "in control" of his environment type. At least, in my experience. 

Since Icky seemed scared we gave Sofia some good pets and put her outside of our room. We then gave Icky attention and tried to show him that the cat tree was his and he shouldn't be afraid he immediately started growling like I've never heard. 

Depending on the generation of the Savannah, they can make some very weird noises. Servals, naturally have different types of hisses and growls. Also, when, they are happy, they chirp just like a bird. My F3 Savannah made all those noises. What do you think, Icky, was growling at?

What is wrong with this cat?

Which cat? I am so sorry, but, I am confused, by, a lot of this post.

How can we help her?

Again, I am so so so sorry. But, I am so confused

This doesn't seem like typical agressive behavior simply because she doesn't look agressive when she harasses the other cats, but it freaks me out that my kitten is so afraid of her and I'd really like to fix this!

I am sorry, for, all the questions, but, depending on the answers, I might be able to help. I hope, that, I was somewhat helpful
. Please note, I have owned a F1 Bengal, F3 Savannah and a pure male Serval. As well as, domestic cats. So, if, you would be kind enough, to answer some of the questions, I might be able to help you

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ogkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What generation is the Savannah? Meaning, F1-F5? Do you mind me asking, what, breeder you got the cat from. Yes, in some cases, it does matter, what, breeder the cat came from? Is the Savannah castrated? I am guessing, the, Bengal is SBT. If not, do you know, what, generation (F1-F5) the cat is?

The Savannah is an F3. We got him from a breeder in LA called Wild West Bengals, we also got the Bengal from her and he had the most wonderful personality we decided when we got a second it would be from her.  They are both neutered. The Bengal is beyond the F generations. 

Is Dakota a domestic or is she a specific breed? Same question for the roommates cat.

Both of her cats are domestic, black and white, shorthairs. She adopted them so I'm inclined to think Sofia was in a nasty situation before the roommate got her. They're both spayed as well.

What is the issue? Hybrids (Bengals, Chausie, Safari and Savannah) act very differently, then, the truly domestic breeds.

Completely agree! But the three (Dakota, Icky, and Furfur) get along so well I feel like if Sofia wasn't there they would be the happiest little kitties there ever were :) 

How do the Savannah and Bengal, react, to the other cat(s)? How do the Savannah and Bengal, react, to each other?

The Savannah and Bengal are best buddies! They sleep together, play together, and up until recently the Bengal acted like a parent to the Savannah, now that they're about the same size the Bengal is less protective and 'fatherly'. The non-problem cat Dakota gets along with the Bengal and Savannah really well too, she's not as fit so when they all play she tends to just flop down and bat at the other two, but there's no agression their. Sofia doesn't get along with any of the cats, even before we moved in together when it was just Sofia and Dakota, they never played like mine do.

If, your roommates cat, is a pure domestic, then, she might not like sharing the attention with the Bengal and Savannah. In my experience, with my hybrids, is, they would "share me". While, my domestics would NOT!

I agree completely, she barely gets enough attention from her owner and we try to do our best but our kitties come first. She's a sweet kitty but I think she'd be so much happier in a single cat home, unfortunately she is not mine to make that decision :(

My F3 Savannah, when, he was alive loved everyone and everything. He loved all my domestic cats, even though, only, one of them was "nice" to him. A nice well socialized Savannah [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]
.[/color]  My F3, was, just like that too [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]
.[/color]

Yes! I've never had a cat like him, I love him so much he's so smart and friendly! It bums me out when he tries to go up to Sofia and be friendly and she just freaks out on him, you can tell that he just doesn't know how to handle it!

Why do you think, the Savannah, is/was, afraid of the domestic cat (Sofia)? Like, what behaviors does the Savannah exhibit, to make you feel that way

He's curious and friendly, if Dakota or Furfur comes up to him he gives them happy head-butts right to the face :) Sofia he watches very carefully and keeps his distance, and after she has been in his 'territory' (his cat tree) he growls and gets upset, that's behavior he exhibits at NO other time, even the vet!

Let me make sure, that, I got this straight: Icky is a Savannah, Furfur is a Bengal, and Dakota is domestic cat? Yep! Sorry if I was unclear, and again Sofia is a domestic as well.

I [color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]am assuming, Sofia is a pure domestic cat? Unless, you have a small F4 or F5 Savannah, it is very unlikely in my opinion and experience, that, a domestic could truly intimidate a Savannah. Unless, the Savannah and domestic, just, started to interact. [/color]

We've had the Savannah since November, and like I said he gets along with all the cats except Sofia. When the savannah was much smaller Sofia ACTUALLY played with him! It was crazy I thought finally Sofia was coming out of her shell! But as I'm sure you know Savannahs grow FAST and as soon as he was bigger than Sofia (she is the smallest of the cats, probably only 8 or 9 lbs) Sofia started treating him with hisses and bats. I'm sure I'm reading human behavior into this but there was even a time when Icky was sitting on the balcony and Sofia tried to push him off! Since she started acting like that toward him the Savannah is very wary around her, which is bizarre because I've  never seen him afraid of anything!

Is Furfur the male Bengal? A well socialized SBT Bengal, is, a very calm and "in control" of his environment type. At least, in my experience.

He is neutered, but yes he was exactly like that. He just stood there regally and Sofia didn't even try to bother him.

Depending on the generation of the Savannah, they can make some very weird noises. Servals, naturally have different types of hisses and growls. Also, when, they are happy, they chirp just like a bird. My F3 Savannah made all those noises. What do you think, Icky, was growling at?

I think the her scent? Or the fact that she was just there and kicked him off his own cat tree? He has two growl that I have heard, one is his play or eating growl if he gets some chicken or a toy he wants to chew on he'll growl when you pull on it or try to take it away. The other is the one he used once Sofia had left, it was very low and he was kind of curled up on himself.

I hope this helps! I'm willing to answer all the questions in the world if I can find a solution for these kitties! They are all great cats and I really just feel bad for Sofia :( she deserves lots of love and attention, but I can't give it to her if she's making my cats feel uncomfortable!

ogkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@StefanZ  Thanks for the response! They are all spayed and neutered, but like you said maybe its still a dominating thing? She's so little! She's the smallest of all of them, the only reason I think it may be a social disorder is because when she hisses its seems to pop out of her like Tourettes syndrome! Almost as though she doesn't know how to behave any differently or can't control it, but maybe I'm projecting human behavior on her when I shouldn't be and its just a basic cat issue.

ogkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@ Cat Person, I wrote I very lengthy response and answered all of your questions but I received a message saying, since I was new it needed to be moderated :) so that should pop up soon I hope!

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok you know the show called My Cat From Hell. Well I would suggest calling him. I don't have his number but I think you might be able to look it up. His name is Jackson Galaxy and I would say from the looks of his show he is a pretty good person to get advice from. I would suggest calling him. But if you don't want to just forget what I said and ignore me and nobody chritisize me for anything I was bored and ended up watching the show.

ogkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@ Tabbymommy

I haven't seen the show, but  thanks for taking the time to give me advise!

tabbymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It doesn't have a way to contact him on the show but you probably could look it up online. He travels from california and so far the farthest I have seen him was newyork. So I would try an call if your in the u.s. I don't know if he would travel accrossed the globe but he is supposed to love cats.

three cat night

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Jackson Galaxy IS an knowledgable cat behaviorist and his "My Cat from Hell"tv show on animal planet is very enlightening . You can goggle him and his # is listed. I recommend it to anyone even if you don't have any issues with your cat.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGKitty  

@ Cat Person, I wrote I very lengthy response and answered all of your questions but I received a message saying, since I was new it needed to be moderated :) so that should pop up soon I hope!

I can see the response and will be responding
. I just want you to know, what, you are experiencing is VERY VERY normal, when, you have a foundation cat(s) and domestics. At least, in my experience

Quote:Originally Posted by OGKitty  

The Savannah is an F3.

F3 A, B, or C? My Loki, that, you can search for, on this site, was a HP (High Percentage) F3C. He was nonstandard in color and behavior. While, he, was so so so sweet and kind, Loki, was more destructive then an F1 savannah. He was FAR more destructive, then, my Serval EVER was! Except, my Savannah, used the litter box and my Serval did spray. But, boy o boy, did Loki break stuff.

We got him from a breeder in LA called Wild West Bengals, we also got the Bengal from her and he had the most wonderful personality we decided when we got a second it would be from her.  They are both neutered.

Glad, you purchased a cat from a responsible breeder that you got cats from before. I am glad, they, are both castrated

The Bengal is beyond the F generations. 

So, I will assume SBT Bengal.Thank you, for, that information

Both of her cats are domestic, black and white, shorthairs.

Thank you, again, for that information.

She adopted them so I'm inclined to think Sofia was in a nasty situation before the roommate got her.

While, it is quite possible, that, Sofia had a "rough past" many domestics do not like hybrid cat(s), most off all, foundation cats. I am not sure, if, it is the smell or not, but, in my experience, some domestics never bond with a hybrid or take a very long time (years). While, a well socialized foundation hybrid (F1-F4 Savannah, Chausie or Safari) will be very tolerant of a domestic  that is "unfriendly" they will always "try and make friends".

They're both spayed as well.

Thank you again, for, the information. I am glad, that, they are both spayed.

Completely agree! But the three (Dakota, Icky, and Furfur) get along so well I feel like if Sofia wasn't there they would be the happiest little kitties there ever were :) 

You are likely correct. One of my domestics, NEVER, excepted my Savannah. Despite, my Savannah, always, trying to be nice to him. I ended up, re-homing the domestic. I am not saying, you need to do that. But, my
, would be that, you keep the F3 Savannah from the DSH, that, does not like him.

The Savannah and Bengal are best buddies!

Aww, that is great and completely normal. My F3 Savannah, was, best friends, with, my terminally ill DLH. While, my other two domestics, where, very aggressive with my DLH.

They sleep together, play together, and up until recently the Bengal acted like a parent to the Savannah, now that they're about the same size the Bengal is less protective and 'fatherly'. The non-problem cat

That bond, will most likely, be like that for the rest of there lives. If anything, the bond will get stronger. Savannahs, just like Servals, bond very strongly to the people and animals, in the home.

Dakota gets along with the Bengal and Savannah really well too, she's not as fit so when they all play she tends to just flop down and bat at the other two, but there's no agression their.

1) No domestic cat, in my experience, can keep up with the foundation cat(s) energy level. Also, the way, that, Dakota (the domestic) treats, the Savannah and Bengal is VERY beneficial. It is teaching, them (Savannah and Bengal) to have "limits". My terminally ill DLH, just had to hiss at my savannah Loki. Then, the F3 Savannah, stopped doing, whatever he was doing
. Lastly, you want to try and keep the friendship up, between, the F3 Savannah, Bengal, and DSH. In other words, let them "hangout" as much as they want together.

Sofia doesn't get along with any of the cats, even before we moved in together when it was just Sofia and Dakota, they never played like mine do.

I would recommend, that, you just keep Sofia separated, from, the F3 Savannah at least. Again, it is very normal for pure domestics, to not like foundation cats. Second, unlike the gregarious nature, of, the well socialized hybrids, some domestics just do not like other cats.

I agree completely, she barely gets enough attention from her owner and we try to do our best but our kitties come first.

This going to sound cruel, but, I would try and not worry about Sofia so much. Since, like you said, your cats come first. Second, you really do not want a foundation cat that "takes offense" to a domestic. Since, a hybrid, is FAR STRONGER then the average domestic. While, I have NEVER seen a hybrid, injure a domestic, I know it is quite possible. Plus, the hybrids, "have a much longer fuse", then, a domestic. So, I would not have blamed, my Savannah Loki, if, he had injured, the domestic, that, I had to re-home. Since, the domestic, constantly bit and scratch my Savannah, when, he was a kitten. 

She's a sweet kitty but I think she'd be so much happier in a single cat home, unfortunately she is not mine to make that decision :(

Since you know that Sofia would be happier as an only cat, can you just keep her separated? I did not mean, to make it sound, like, you had control over your roommates cat. That was NOT my intention and I am sorry!

Yes! I've never had a cat like him, I love him so much he's so smart and friendly!

A Savannah, is like no other hybrid. They are just so loving and smart it is AMAZING! I completely agree

It bums me out when he tries to go up to Sofia and be friendly and she just freaks out on him, you can tell that he just doesn't know how to handle it!

A Savannah, is a very understanding and resilient breed of cat. So, he, will eventually either make friends with Sofia or learn to ignore her. Do not let, the DSH's behavior, upset you or let it not enjoy your Savannah to the fullest!

He's curious and friendly, if Dakota or Furfur comes up to him he gives them happy head-butts right to the face :)

Aww, I would love to see photo's of your happy trio. It just warms my
, to "see" that part of the post

Sofia he watches very carefully and keeps his distance, and after she has been in his 'territory' (his cat tree) he growls and gets upset, that's behavior he exhibits at NO other time, even the vet!

Savannahs, tend to love the vet
. My Loki, loved seeing the vet and all the attention, that, he got
. Savannahs, can be such hams in my experience. Now, as far as, the cat tree goes, can you just keep Sofia off it? If not, can you get multiple cat tree's?

Yep! Sorry if I was unclear, and again Sofia is a domestic as well.

I do not think, you where unclear. I can be easily confused and VERY ditsy

We've had the Savannah since November, and like I said he gets along with all the cats except Sofia. When the savannah was much smaller Sofia ACTUALLY played with him! It was crazy I thought finally Sofia was coming out of her shell! But as I'm sure you know Savannahs grow FAST and as soon as he was bigger than Sofia (she is the smallest of the cats, probably only 8 or 9 lbs) Sofia started treating him with hisses and bats. I'm sure I'm reading human behavior into this but there was even a time when Icky was sitting on the balcony and Sofia tried to push him off! Since she started acting like that toward him the Savannah is very wary around her, which is bizarre because I've  never seen him afraid of anything!

It is VERY normal, for, domestics to not like foundation cats, as, they grow up. This is why, it is advisable, to get another foundation cat or SBT Bengal, so, the foundation cat, can "have a friend". The reason, your Savannah, is scared of that particular domestic is: 1) hybrids read "cat language, very very well 2) Since, the Savannah was kitten, he, naturally "respects" the domestics. Lastly, your Savannah, may NEVER show fear of anything other then that one domestic

He is neutered, but yes he was exactly like that.

A typical, nicely socialized SBT Bengal

He just stood there regally and Sofia didn't even try to bother him.

That is cause, the Bengal, did not "give ground" to the domestic".

I think the her scent?

Yes, you are 100% correct, in my humble opinion.

Or the fact that she was just there and kicked him off his own cat tree? He has two growl that I have heard, one is his play or eating growl if he gets some chicken or a toy he wants to chew on he'll growl when you pull on it or try to take it away. The other is the one he used once Sofia had left, it was very low and he was kind of curled up on himself.

Again, I am confused by that part
. Can you possible rephrase? I am very sorry. Just make sure, that, your Savannah does not eat any of those toys. Since, all hybrid cats, are prone to pica. Which, is the eating of nonfood items.

I hope this helps! I'm willing to answer all the questions in the world if I can find a solution for these kitties! They are all great cats and I really just feel bad for Sofia :( she deserves lots of love and attention, but I can't give it to her if she's making my cats feel uncomfortable!

Yes, your answers where very very helpful. Hopefully, my responses where helpful too
. I am glad, that, you do not mind answering questions, since, I have more

ogkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would love some links to bengal safe toys! 

He's pretty good at dropping things he shouldn't have, he knows its bad so when he hears us coming he drops it and runs off :) Unfortunately he's sneaky so he'll hide his little prizes from us and chew them in a corner, I've gotten pretty good at picking up on his munching sounds!

Also, his diet is Nature's Balance kitten food. The Bengal is on Royal Canin Urinary SO for very common pee issues. Both dry kibble.  We let them free feed so they both seem to get a mix of both, but I've noticed lately they avoid the kitten food. I asked my vet if that was ok and she said it should be, but asked that I try to get the little guy to eat more of the kitten food. 

Here's a more recent picture that shows how BIG the savannah kitten is compared to the 4 year old bengal! 

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just
those photo's too. They made my afternoon. My F3 was 12 inches at the shoulder by almost two years old and about 30 inches long. They do grow for three years. But, the first year and a half, is the "massive" growth spurt, at least, in my experience
. Enjoy your cats. I love his nose leather and ocelli. Okay, I love all of him

ogkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep I meant Savannah safe toys! I had bengals on the brain. 

ogkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: Savannah kitten still hates the domestic shorthair :( the DS doesn't seem to mind him at all, but he still gets super nervous and growly around her. We've been doing our best to keep them separate. I'll update again if we come up with a solution!

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: Savannah kitten still hates the domestic shorthair :(

Please, explain to me, what, you mean by "hate". In my experience, if, the hybrid, is not drawing blood on the domestic, "hate" is not occurring. In general, a well socialized hybrid, is nonaggression. At least, with Bengal (F1-4), Chausie and Savannahs.

the DS doesn't seem to mind him at all, but he still gets super nervous and growly around her.

That growling, might be, what, the Savannah is picking up on. But, I have NO IDEA. That, is just an educated guess.

We've been doing our best to keep them separate.

That is good, at least, in my opinion.

I'll update again if we come up with a solution!

Please do, but, for whatever it is worth, it sounds like, you found a good solution
. Keep up the great work
!

Last edited: