Possible recluse kitten?

birlest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat gave birth three weeks ago today to three kittens- two of which survived. One is a very large and adventurous boy while the other is...Well...She's very timid, scared, and shy. Only recently has she been venturing from the birth spot but she constantly shakes and looks so scared. She'll hiss at anyone that isn't me and noises freak her out. I was told to make her get used to people by constantly picking her up and messing with her but it seems like something that would just reinforce her fear...

So my question is, how do I carefully and lovingly let her not be so scared and come out of her shell? I'm worried she'll end up a mean cat if something isn't done or a cat that no one will want to adopt once she's old enough. She's a beauty so it'd really be a waste! 

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are right if you try ro force it to be used to people it will backfired and make it worse

Get down to her level or as close you can, hold out your hand and wait until she comes and sniff it, slowly pet her shoulder and watch how she reacts

Give her treats too

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

birlest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@mwallace056  I thought that might be so! 

So far I've picked her up a couple times for about a minute before feeling guilty. 

I've also tried to see if she would watch me play and pet her mom and try to play with both her and her brother.

She was seeming a little more curious a few minutes ago so I scooped her up and put her on my lap. She was scared of course but ended up curling on my arm. Not sure if because it was in the corner of the couch, to be warm, or if she was a little more comfortable. 

mwallace056

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I learned with my experience it best for them on their own to learn to trust people instead of trying to force them.

Just keep being consistent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

birlest

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she doesn't look scare which is a good thing

She only 3 weeks so i suggest keeping it short like 5 to 15 minutes
Yeah I kept checking the pads of her paws to make sure she wasn't losing heat. After about 7 minutes I carried her over to her brother. I'll try to sit on the floor with them more from now on and pet/play around with their mom until they get curious about playing.