Possible Ragdoll?

rgbader

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my dear Mollie on Valentine’s Day of 2013. I didn’t know her breed and the lady selling the litter of four female kittens referred to them as “Siamese”. There were three short-haired, seemingly Siamese cats, and one with the same colours but long-haired. I sat down on the lady’s couch and the fluffy one jumped right up onto my lap and showed me her belly. She happily accepted belly rubs. She chose me so I had to take her home. As she got older, she developed lynx type markings on her legs and face (like a tabby) and got darker. She went from totally white on her body with brown ears to brown tips of her fur all over like a toasted marshmallow and her face went from light to very dark. She finished getting darker around age 3. She had these big, piercing blue eyes. She grew to about 10 pounds, and I believe she would’ve been bigger had she not had the health problems she did. Unfortunately in her first year or so, she had terrible fleas that I couldn’t get rid of no matter what I did and I mean I did EVERYTHING. With the help of a vet, we finally got rid of them but I believe it stunted her growth. Right before she was to go in for her spay, she developed pyometra and had life-saving surgery. I believe that also could’ve stunted her growth. Anyway, back to her colours and traits. This kitty loved being handled and went limp in my arms like a typical ragdoll. She greeted me at the door, slept in my bed with me and was never a hider like most cats. I honestly never got space from her lol! She had an almost dog-like personality with her people and hated being around other animals. She was a big skittish with new people, but usually loved to be pet by anyone once they sat down and basically showed they weren’t threatening. She purred and chirped if I walked past her and I couldn’t sit down on my couch without her sitting on me and trapping me for hours. She was rather vocal as well and loved to narrate what she was doing or use her voice to get my attention. She was an anxious cat towards the end and I’m not sure why - I tried everything I could to make our home more calming for her but she ended up overgrooming her sides and tummy like many stressed cats do. In the end, to make a long story short, she had terrible stress cystitis that no treatment helped (even buprenorphine didn’t give her relief) and I had to make the difficult but loving decision to end her pain at five years old. I feel so guilty that I couldn’t fix her stress, but none of this started until I got pregnant and I’m due in 8 weeks. She must have sensed it. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to describe her well because I know temperament can help determine a breed. I’ve attached photos of Mollie as a baby and as she aged and her coat changed. So does she seem like a ragdoll type breed or possibly something else? I want another cat like her someday when I’ve healed from her passing.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If we take the breeder for the face value. Outcross siamese with balinese (ie mediumhaired siamese) is usually allowed. So its easily happen there are the longhair gene floating in the gene pool - and now and then there is born a balinese look alike. These may occasionally even be real longhairs.

Observe also, its no way Mollie was a modern type siamese, but possibly an old type siamese / balinese.

If the breeder was a BYB breeder, just happy to get pointed cats, of course everything is possible, including having an occasional ragdoll stud to give the male services.

And thus, its fully possible and even probable Molly HAD an ragdoll ancestry; granddad or even biological father.

If you want another alike her...
Ragdoll and Neva Masquerade (or pointed Siberian) are good alternatives.
I would even suggest a Siberian, pointed or not.
Russian blue is another nice breed.

But the best advices for finding a soul friend are:
1. You do as you did. Visit a breeder, or a shelter. Sit down calmly, perhaps crooning friendly noises. The one or two, whom come up to you, wants your company and scratchings, lay down to sleep on you - its them.
Observe, these dont need to be kittens. Be ready for adults too.

2. Adopting an ex homeless works often marvelously well. They may remain shy to visitors, but know to give gratitude and love to their rescuer.
So is for ex homless street dogs, so is for cats. Observe, you may be forced to do some fostering, perhaps also some medical attention.
Adopt from a shelter / rescue organization, or spontan adoption from the street.
A super variation is to visit your local high kill shelter, and grab someone waiting in the death row.

If you believe in soul wandering, the solution will appear by itself, just to have your eyes open.
One day there appears perhaps a homeless cat at your yard, whom seems to want connection with you. Often a somewhat look alike, but seldom an exact copy.

Or you get the urge to visit your local shelter. And there is she...

It will not necessarily be Mollies soul in new body, it may also be someone Mollie sends to you as your new protector.

The belief in soul wandering or equivalent, makes it necessary for you to be able to find the new one, so it will appear where you find it naturally.

Last but not least. You can create a Rememberancy thread about Mollie in our subforum for the passed ones, Crossing the Bridge... You dont need to rewrite everyting, its ok to copy and paste. If you wish, you can change the wording here and there, but its not necessary.

Warm hugs!

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
rgbader rgbader
She is a pretty cat and has some Siamese ancestry, hence the points.

I have a long haired black cat. He goes limp most of the time when picked up, he follows me about, he greets strangers, he chirps and has quiet meows, he is a ‘dog like’ cat. I don’t think he is a Ragdoll or part Ragdoll.
Ragdolls are a mix of many cats including Siamese and domestic non breed cats. They were bred for temperament but not all Ragdolls fit the limp in arms scenario.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rgbader

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If we take the breeder for the face value. Outcross siamese with balinese (ie mediumhaired siamese) is usually allowed. So its easily happen there are the longhair gene floating in the gene pool - and now and then there is born a balinese look alike. These may occasionally even be real longhairs.

Observe also, its no way Mollie was a modern type siamese, but possibly an old type siamese / balinese.

If the breeder was a BYB breeder, just happy to get pointed cats, of course everything is possible, including having an occasional ragdoll stud to give the male services.

And thus, its fully possible and even probable Molly HAD an ragdoll ancestry; granddad or even biological father.

If you want another alike her...
Ragdoll and Neva Masquerade (or pointed Siberian) are good alternatives.
I would even suggest a Siberian, pointed or not.
Russian blue is another nice breed.

But the best advices for finding a soul friend are:
1. You do as you did. Visit a breeder, or a shelter. Sit down calmly, perhaps crooning friendly noises. The one or two, whom come up to you, wants your company and scratchings, lay down to sleep on you - its them.
Observe, these dont need to be kittens. Be ready for adults too.

2. Adopting an ex homeless works often marvelously well. They may remain shy to visitors, but know to give gratitude and love to their rescuer.
So is for ex homless street dogs, so is for cats. Observe, you may be forced to do some fostering, perhaps also some medical attention.
Adopt from a shelter / rescue organization, or spontan adoption from the street.
A super variation is to visit your local high kill shelter, and grab someone waiting in the death row.

If you believe in soul wandering, the solution will appear by itself, just to have your eyes open.
One day there appears perhaps a homeless cat at your yard, whom seems to want connection with you. Often a somewhat look alike, but seldom an exact copy.

Or you get the urge to visit your local shelter. And there is she...

It will not necessarily be Mollies soul in new body, it may also be someone Mollie sends to you as your new protector.

The belief in soul wandering or equivalent, makes it necessary for you to be able to find the new one, so it will appear where you find it naturally.

Last but not least. You can create a Rememberancy thread about Mollie in our subforum for the passed ones, Crossing the Bridge... You dont need to rewrite everyting, its ok to copy and paste. If you wish, you can change the wording here and there, but its not necessary.

Warm hugs!
Thanks for your response! The lady who sold these lovely little kittens wasn’t a breeder and I bought her for $100, so I’m sure Mollie wasn’t purebred at all. However, there was some sort of Ragdoll/Balinese/Siamese ancestry and I would love another like her. I just don’t want to get another that will become sick at age 5 again as that broke my heart. I was not ready to say goodbye after such a short time but I know it is much better for her. I hope one day another wonderful cat chooses me like she did. I think I will make a post in memory of her, thanks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rgbader

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
rgbader rgbader
She is a pretty cat and has some Siamese ancestry, hence the points.

I have a long haired black cat. He goes limp most of the time when picked up, he follows me about, he greets strangers, he chirps and has quiet meows, he is a ‘dog like’ cat. I don’t think he is a Ragdoll or part Ragdoll.
Ragdolls are a mix of many cats including Siamese and domestic non breed cats. They were bred for temperament but not all Ragdolls fit the limp in arms scenario.
Thanks for your response. She’s definitely not purebred, I can say that with certainty. When I went to pick a cat (or I suppose be picked by one), I didn’t even see an adult Siamese or anything with those colour points. I saw one adult tabby but I’m not sure if she was one of the parents (though this could explain her lynx markings on the face and legs). I would love another cat with her personality and looks, but she’s only been gone since Tuesday and I haven’t healed and likely just want another exact Mollie. I will one day go let a cat choose me again, regardless of breed, I think.