Possible pregnant cat. Any ideas?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snipersmommy90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So were home from the vet. He wanted to see how she tried to latch. Even when put right in front of one she moves all over and never finds one. He stood there holding her right in front of one for about 7 minutes before she latched. He said that I should help her latch as often as I can and if she's not gaining, then I should continue with the formula. Momma also recieved some powder I'm supposed to sprinkle over her canned food for added nutrition. All the kittens got examined. That was a $412 dent to my wallet but well worth it.

The vet also said he saw stripes on all of the kittens. I'm trying to post pics but it might be an hour or two! Thank you so much for the advice. I really want this little girl to pull through

snipersmommy90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So all 7 kittens are doing well. The smallest kitten is still having trouble latching but she's gaining weight so that's a great thing. I am helping her latch every 30 minutes includingt throughout the night so I'm quite sleep deprived at this point. Sniper has shown no interest in going anywhere near my room which at this point houses and "unfamiliar" cat and her kittens. Of coarse I keep the door closed at all times. Before she had her babies, sometimes he would stand at my door and whine, wanting to meet her (he's sooo friendly) but now he just runs past my door. Momma is such a great mother. I'm so proud of her.

snipersmommy90

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Just wanted to give an update. All 7 kittens are doing great. They are playing and climbing on me and being completely adorable. They look like striped and spotted black tabbies.
Mom on the other hand is not so great. Last week I noticed her making odd noises everytime she nursed. Noises that made it clear to me she was uncomfortable. I couldn't get her into my vet so I did a walk in at Banfield. They told me to start bottle feeding the kittens and out her on meds. For the last week I've been bottle feeding every 45 min and not allowing her to nurse at all, applying compresses to momma as the vet recommended, giving her the meds on time and she's still gotten worse. My husband is actually at the emergency vet with her at this moment. Yesterday she stopped eating and when she tried to lay down, she let out a cry and sprayed diahrrea all over the room. I'm so worried about her and my husband isn't answering my texts so I have no idea what's going on.

Still haven't given up hope of finding mommas owner although I know it's a long shot.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I'm glad the kits are well  but so sorry to hear the mamacat is ill.   Sounds like she has mastitis. 

Did the Banfield vet put her on an antibiotic ?    maybe she needed a different one? 

Or...  when she had the kittens,  did you see if a placenta came out with each kitten?    i know that was a big litter and were born pretty fast  and in that situation it can be easy to lose count.    I am just wondering if she retained a placenta that could also be causing a separate infection.    

Anyway I hope she will be OK.   Keep us posted.  

Bless you and your husband for being so good to this mama and her babies. 

Sending vibes...