Possible mucus plug?/Kitten Feeding Advice

pabofi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Sacred Birman cat is 67 days pregnant, and this is what her vulva looks like. She is not liking it much.

1689821704552.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pabofi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does this look like the mucus plug? Her temp has dropped, she is liking her belly a lot. I have a call with the Vet soon.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It’s normal for her to experience discharge prior to giving birth; however, in my experience, the discharge is not this dark or bloody. It is usually more of a pinkish color, and some of it is more clear. Each cat is different, and if it is just small amounts of this darker discharge, I would say she is okay and in the beginning stages of labor.

If you know for sure when she mated, then she should be in early stages of labor. First stage can take a full 24 hours before pushing and delivery begin.

Are you seeing any contractions — as in ripples or waves down her sides?

Is this her first pregnancy? How old is she?

Hoping all is well in the meantime.

pabofi pabofi

pabofi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s normal for her to experience discharge prior to giving birth; however, in my experience, the discharge is not this dark or bloody. It is usually more of a pinkish color, and some of it is more clear. Each cat is different, and if it is just small amounts of this darker discharge, I would say she is okay and in the beginning stages of labor.

If you know for sure when she mated, then she should be in early stages of labor. First stage can take a full 24 hours before pushing and delivery begin.

Are you seeing any contractions — as in ripples or waves down her sides?

Is this her first pregnancy? How old is she?

Hoping all is well in the meantime.

pabofi pabofi
Yes this is her first pregnancy. She is 2 years old, an International Champion Sacred Birman purebred. I know when she mated so I know the due dates. Vet said between the 16th and 19th of July. This is my first litter as well. I had a video conference with the Vet, she said it looks normal for now. I told her about the temp drop she said that is normal too when labor begins.

Thanks for the info about taking a full 24 hours for pushing to begin. I don't see any ripples yet. Hard to see when her fur is so long. I am just anxious, and praying all goes well.

Thanks for the reply!.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
temp dropping hints delivery in 24 hours. (typically 3F or 1 full C).
Has she dropped? Ie belly seems suddenly less pregnant? They dont always drop, but its common, and happens 1-2 days before delivery.

pabofi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
pabofi pabofi How is it going?
I had a consultation with a Vet that did a check. Vet said cats can go up to 70 days, and I may have miscalculated by one day. The mucus is normal. NO foul smell or puss. Once the plug dislodges it can take up to 48 hours for strong labor to begin. I just have to wait it out, and if she struggles then I can take her into emergency.

pabofi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wait. She’ll have them!
She gave birth via C-section on CATURDAY 07/22/2023. It was the mucus plug. We did this just in time, as the placentas detached and the kittens were not getting any more nutrients. If we had not done what we did the kittens and Momma would have died. Because the last days kittens were not getting enough nutrition they are very tiny and we are tube feeding them. She had one of each a boy and a girl!!

Welcome to the world Sacred Birman kittens!

Attachments

pabofi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HI, she is fine, but even more talkative than her normal talkative self. She is being a very attentive and protective Mamma. I am so proud of her. I stopped the pain meds Tramadol because one of the side effects is dizziness and loss of appetite. If she absolutely needs a bit she will get it. I want to avoid that if possible. Kittens are very small 80 and 90 gms born. The boy is now 100, and girl 86. I am tube feeding until Mamma Luna's milk comes in. The Vet gave her Primperin to help with that. A tiny bit has already started. I am keeping them on the "pudge plan". My goal is 10 grams a day.

Thank you for asking, also if you think something is wrong and something feels off with your pregnant cat, get them checked out. For us it was worth it. If was life-saving not only for the kittens but Luna as well!!

pabofi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

my kittens are 4 weeks old now. I am almost ready to switch them from Mamma's nipples to mushy foods. I also want to start them on using the box. I know to use non clumping litter. I also have Royal Canin Mom and Baby Cat food for them. My questions are

!) Should I train them to use the box and switch them over to mushy foods at the same time, or should I do them at separate times??
2) What to expect, will there be some diarrhea as the tummies get used to the new food?
3) Is it a good idea to put the kittens and mom together while they eat?

Posting pics of my cute monsters!

thank you everyone!

1692414784844.png

1692414807792.png

emocatowner

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They look adorable!

I'm fairly new to kitten stuff as well, though based on what I read, I'd say start at the same time, though they may progress at different rates.

Set a litter box for them, ideally one that has a very low opening. Just leave it there for now, and maybe gently place them on there after meals or if you see them squatting somewhere else. Scoop it very often, otherwise the kittens will step in the poo, drag it all over the carpet, and then decide the carpet smells like poo, so it must be a litter box too (I learned this the hard way)

For food, I think most people just feed them in the same place as mom, RC Babycat is great for mom too, after all. Put it in a bowl and if they don't instantly get it, scoop a tiny bit of it on your finger and put it on the kitten's tongue, most will be like "ohh this is good" and dive in. If it's the dry kind, you may need to moisten it first, and if it's the wet kind, just use as is.

For poo when weaning, there should be a color change, maybe some diarrhea for 1-2 poos. If you see it for more than that, maybe scale back on the amount of food you're giving them, or even let them stick to suckling for another week. It's always better to take it slow with weaning, and they may need more time to develop, particularly since they were so small at birth.

pabofi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They look adorable!

I'm fairly new to kitten stuff as well, though based on what I read, I'd say start at the same time, though they may progress at different rates.

Set a litter box for them, ideally one that has a very low opening. Just leave it there for now, and maybe gently place them on there after meals or if you see them squatting somewhere else. Scoop it very often, otherwise the kittens will step in the poo, drag it all over the carpet, and then decide the carpet smells like poo, so it must be a litter box too (I learned this the hard way)

For food, I think most people just feed them in the same place as mom, RC Babycat is great for mom too, after all. Put it in a bowl and if they don't instantly get it, scoop a tiny bit of it on your finger and put it on the kitten's tongue, most will be like "ohh this is good" and dive in. If it's the dry kind, you may need to moisten it first, and if it's the wet kind, just use as is.

For poo when weaning, there should be a color change, maybe some diarrhea for 1-2 poos. If you see it for more than that, maybe scale back on the amount of food you're giving them, or even let them stick to suckling for another week. It's always better to take it slow with weaning, and they may need more time to develop, particularly since they were so small at birth.
I just began 3 days ago, and so far pee and poo outside the litter box. I am using cardboard boxes that canned food comes in so they can just walk into it. and non-clumping pellets. I wonder if they don't like those pellets Thankfully the one poop that happened was on the pee pad. They say kittens instinctively know how to use the box. I don't know where they got that idea?? It is only day 3, I hope they get it soon I have been feeding them RC Mom and Baby cat canned food, mixed with a bit of RC kitten formula and easing off of it little by little to just the food. Meanwhile, Mom cat is very very affectionate and meowing a lot. I wonder if going into heat one more time before fall??.She is a pure bread. but the VEt said at section that her uterus was not strong, so it may be after the kittens are older to get her spayed..one handed typing as mom cat is using one of my hands as a pillow. thanks for listening.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankfully the one poop that happened was on the pee pad
I would try to put a pee pad in the box since someone pooped on one of them. They might not like the pellets but it's hard to tell for now I'd try some with pellets and some with pee pads.. it might take being wherever the box is and getting them in there then take their paw and start pawing at the pellets you can try a different kind of litter as well but I would definitely keep at least one pellet one pee pad and another litter.. see which ones they go investigate more..
Momma could very well be going in hear again.. and I agree with you she should be spayed especially if her uterus is on the weaker side.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At 4 weeks you’ll need to put them in the litter box before and after meals for a few days until they get the hang of it. I agree they may not like the pellets.

Mom may be going into heat. Spay her when the kittens are 8 weeks. You may have to endure a couple of heat cycles before then, but they will stop after spaying and she’ll be healthier.