Possible Feline Hyperesthesia?

sunnychloe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone! So I recently took my kitten to the vet for a check up, and I did raise the concern about his back, but they told me it’s just more sensitive than some other cats. He has moments where he swishes his tail and his back twitches like crazy near the base of his tail, spasming and rippling like the symptoms call for. He doesn’t gnaw at it or anything, and at most stretches out as if he’s bothered by it, but I‘m still not sure if I should be concerned? He still loves to be pet on his back, but when it’s spasming a lot, it makes me feel bad to do it.

I saw that in most cats it’s much milder vs it being an extreme case, so I’m wondering if this could be it? He has had a few vet visits and he hasn’t had any fleas or anything that people say could cause the same triggers. We also have him on completely clean food that doesn’t have unnecessary preservatives, etc. and because he’s microchipped, I took off his collar because it tends to stress him out.

Does anybody have cats that experience this same thing or have any advice? I don’t know if I should take him to another vet or if I’m overreacting. I saw that this condition doesn’t progress, but I still don’t want it to start bothering him a lot down the road. In other words, I don’t want him to be in pain for us to finally do something about it. Thank you guys! x

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat has a mild form. It actually helps him if I scratch really hard at the spot that's rippling. When he had bad days I give him CBD. I've also found that the Hill's stress food helps. One of my other cats had to be on the C/d stress and I give the other a few kibbles every meal. It does seem to cut down on his episodes

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My cat with hyperesthesia goes into much more dramatic scenes than you are describing. Her eyes get huge and dark and she starts to snarl and back up...this in response to absolutely nothing at all going on in her environment...and ultimately starts to chase her tail as if she does not recognize it. She has not self mutilated and can be sort of snapped out of the trance by being touched with a wand or gloved hand. Vet dxed it as hyperesthesia.