Possible Dermatitis/Allergy

Lizzieh14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I have a Russian Blue, he’s nearly 4 years old and for the last 3 months or so has developed a habit of biting and scratching himself / over grooming a lot. He has scabs on the top of his head and under his chin and more recently has been chewing and biting chunks of fur out of his hind legs and back by his tail.
He has small red oval shape lesions on his skin where he’s lost his fur.
He is an indoor cat, never goes out and is up to date with flea treatments.

I’ve taken him to the vet 4 times:
1) Flea Treatment
2) Course of Antibiotics after finding he needed his anal glands draining
3) Steroid treatment through injection
4) Course of Steroids for 10 days

I’ve also bought soothing gels, anti stress spot on, feliway, soothing wipes - nothing stops him.

I feel so sad for him because it must be painful but I don’t know what it could be. The vet said the next step would be a blood test but while I wait for the appointment can anyone shed any light or give any advice on how to help him please?

Thanks
Lizzie x

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, welcome!
Can you try chamomile tea? From the grocery store, not garden grown. Grocery store chamomile teas are anti fungal, anti bacterial, will help ease the discomfort and are safe if he ingests it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lizzieh14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, welcome!
Can you try chamomile tea? From the grocery store, not garden grown. Grocery store chamomile teas are anti fungal, anti bacterial, will help ease the discomfort and are safe if he ingests it.
Thankyou Furballsmom - so do you mean camomile tea on cotton wool to soothe the areas?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
He could have an allergy to something in his environment, or to some ingredient in his food.