Possible causes - vet diagnosis "obvious renal failure"

catomight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have a 15 yr old, neutered short hair, "Mal." Until ~ 1 mo ago, quite healthy, active, played, good eater. Canned and home made diet w/ a little extra water, so rarely drank from bowl. Had FLUTD since young, but always easily managed. (Another cat on same home made diet - doing fine).

Mal's recent main symptoms were:
loss of appetite (very recently & pretty rapidly);
going to water bowl several times / day, but not drinking excessively long or large amounts at once.
going to litter box more than usual - but not highly excessive urination amounts (could've been from UTI or mild flare up of FLUTD).
Lethargy.

Saw vet Thurs 4/28/16. He did urinalysis using test strips. Ruled out diabetes. Said he thought they were "pretty accurate" vs. a meter or lab tests.
A few of those results (I have them) made him suspect Mal might have UTI. Gave him a shot of long acting penicillin & drew blood to send out.
Vet called this afternoon - 4/29 - w/ blood work results. Apparently not good.

He called it "obviously in renal failure." Though only 2 test results were out of range. I know little about assessing lab results for renal failure.
Didn't comment much on other blood results, so I don't know the values - yet. Potassium was "normal" & phosphorous "slightly elevated." He was supposed to send a copy of the lab results.

Cat's BUN (blood urea nitrogen ?) was 146 mg/dl - normal range = 10 to 35 mg/dl (vet's stated ranges);
and Creatinine was 9.5 mg/dl - normal range = 0.1 to 2.1 mg/dl.
Phosphorous was 8.4 mg/dl (some sources show normal range 3.3 - 7.8 mg/dl).

I wonder if the "Sentry calming collar" someone suggested, temporarily affected his kidneys, that might reverse? http://www.petsmart.com/food-health...d36-13558/cat-36-catid-200050?var_id=36-13558 That's when he really 1st lost his appetite (became picky) & seemed lethargic. He ate some - less than usual, with MUCH coaxing & different offerings. He got it back after several days - we left the collar on less than 24 hrs. We couldn't stand the strong smell & could have overwhelmed his sense of smell or caused other issues.

Before the calming collar, he had a mild FLUTD flare up, but didn't lose his appetite & wasn't lethargic.
It was sometime around applying the collar that he started going to water bowl more - I think. Maybe a bit before the collar; possibly just after. (let that be a lesson - if notice unusual behavior in kids or pets, immediately write down date & any data you can think of).

And / or, if the Bach's Rescue Remedy affected his kidneys - possibly temporarily affected kidney function After dermally applying 1/2 recommended dose (2 drops) on 4/24, he threw up in ~ 30 min. - 1 hr (could easily be coincidence). But, was quite lethargic that evening & again lost appetite. Washed it off after several hrs, but he never regained appetite. But his behavior did improve a good bit after ~ 2 days. I began force feeding him after 1 day.

Tonight (4 days after the drops) , he ate ~ 1.5 Tbsp of fresh chicken + juice on his own - 1st substantial amount on his own since the Bach's Remedy. This morning, he only ate a few nibbles, so I force fed a normal meal.

But, http://zimmer-foundation.org/sch/ajf.html - Overview of Feline Bloodwork
says,
"BUN and creatinine, are key values to indicate kidney function and glomerular filtration rate (GFR)."
"BUN and creatinine are cleared by the kidney. If they are high, the patient is azotemic. Azotemia
(accumulation of abnormally large amounts of nitrogenous waste products in the blood) means BUN and creatinine are high,..."

"Azotemia does not necessarily mean primary renal failure, however. Azotemic patients are not clearing BUN and creatinine for one of three reasons: pre-renal, renal, or post-renal."

Pre-renal azotemia means that the patient is dehydrated. Dehydration leads to decreased blood volume, which results in decreased blood flow to the kidney, and therefore decreased GFR. Pre-renal azotemia is corrected by giving the patient fluids.

"In post-renal azotemia, the problem is between the kidney and the final excretion of urine, such as a ruptured bladder or ureters. In post-renal azotemia, potassium is also usually elevated
[his wasn't] because it is trapped in the body, even though the kidneys are functioning normally. In order to diagnose primary renal azotemia (kidney failure), pre and post renal azotemia must be ruled out."

I have many other questions - about vet's (only) suggested treatment - subcutaneously giving 100 - 150 ml of ringers lactated solution, 2 - 3x / wk or so; ? possibly ? use weak saline solution; and others. But maybe should put that in a separate post, or it can get very long.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Urine test strips only tells if there is glucose (sugar) in the urine or not, sometimes the presence of ketones if those specific strips are used. I would not rely on urine test strips to make a definite diagnosis of diabetes or not. The fructosamine test is the test that confirms diabetes or not. Ask your vet to do this test. I'm not sure if the vet can re-use the blood sample he already took for the other bloodwork of if a new blood sample is needed.

I'm not famliar with kidney disease so unfortunately can't help with that.

If you're nof comfortable with the vet's diagnosis, you can take your vet to another vet for a second oinio. Bring all copies of the recent test results with you for the vet to review.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catomight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I appreciate any help.
One thing I'd like to ask of all readers w/ experience in feline CKD / CRF, is the ongoing cost (say, yearly)?
Will vary between vets - I'd like to hear from several owners.

To keep renewing the Rx for electrolyte fluids (I guess that's usually only thing requiring script) - how often did / does your vet "require" an exam, full blood work / full urinalysis?

It can get quite expensive. Vets, like MDs vary greatly in how often you must pay them, to get refills.
Given my own very significant health issues, high insurance & medical costs, if the ongoing annual cost of everything to treat CKD, above normal ownership costs is likely to be high, it may be best not to even start. At least, not using "conventional" methods.

There may be OTC or home made alternatives to Rx "lactated ringer's solution."

LTS3 - You could be right about the test strips. The one he used tested a slew of markers, not 1 or 2. So he said, more than one result from the test strip indicated it wasn't diabetes.
It wouldn't be the 1st time a vet / MD made a mistake.

The blood work was sent out, came back & vet said showed he was "in obvious renal failure." I can post those later. the urinalysis values are hand written.
Now, those specific blood tests could've been higher than just from CKD, from other factors - the calming collar, rescue remedy drops, other ingested material, stress, eating less than normal for several days (I did force feed - he's not starving), etc.

Not that he doesn't have CKD. It may / may not be as bad as initial tests show.