Possible cancer

Status
Not open for further replies.

michigander55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I came here in search of people with possibly same situation as we have. My 13 year black & white "Tee" became ill a few months ago. She lost a few pounds and would sit looking @ her food like she wanted to eat but wouldn't. Her coat went from shiny black to dull. Blood work showed she has hyper thyroid. We started her on the med I rub a drop in her ear 2 x's a day. She seemed to get a bit better but within a few weeks she started vomiting bile and wouldn't eat.

the vet was able to give a couple injections to calm her stomach and within a few days of feeding her with a syringe she seemed OK.

last week she stopped eating again, no vomiting but she looks so tired and sad and her breathing was very rapid even when asleep. The vet drew off 1/2 cup of clear fluid ( I think from abdomen rather than lung) gave her LASIK and prednisone. Within 12 hours she was gobbling her canned food and seemed back to her self. But...24 hours later she quit eating but her breathing seems OK, she is using her litter and sits in front of her food like she wants to but????so once again we are syringe feeding her AD Science Diet vet prescribed. I'm giving Her a heart med 2 x's a day and the water pill med 3 x's. It's possible she has cancer. Some of her blood work for liver has been a bit off but her thyroid has come back to normal range with the thyroid med 2x's a day. I cried for 2 days thinking I had to say goodbye but I can't tell if she will get better and am afraid it's too soon. She still seeks me out and wants to sleep in my lap rather than going to bed for the day like she used to. It's so hard not knowing if she's in pain, has an upset stomach ....if only she could tell us. This illness makes her look 10 years older than she is :-(

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are doing all you can, I don't have any advise for you other then to pray for you and Tee. You are a very good mommy to her and I'm sure she knows it. Please love her all you can, we will all send healing vibes your way, take care!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible that her stomach has too much acid? I gave 1/4 tab regular strength Pepcid AC to help out my old renal failure kitty.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

michigander55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Bob & Di. If love were a cure...Tee would already be healed. I am with her day and night and she is getting lots of love.

Peaches..I am not sure about the Pepcid. She did seem a bit better after the vet gave her anew injections of Serinia ( not sure on spelling). But if that's what helped, it was short lived. I really don't like having to assist feed with the syringe but I know she wouldn't be with us long if we don't. Thanks for your help.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cerenia I believe is an anti nausea med. Ask the vet about pepcid. It is safe and may help.

I can empathize with assisted feedings. I hated it, but my old girl wasn't going to eat. She felt better after feedings too.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What you're describing sounds very much like she's nauseous. One of my kitties did have diagnosed cancer - his was a mass in his stomach. He underwent chemotherapy, and that is exactly how he acted. He was hungry - but couldn't bring himself to eat.

The anti-nausea medication, cerenia did more than anything to help. It also comes as a pill. It is often used off-label. He recieved 1/4 pill daily for the length of his chemo, which was 6 months. I always keep some on hand in case he has a bout of nausea.

He also received a whole 10mg pepcid a/c daily - but he did have ulcers because the mass was in his stomach. I know doses of pepcid that are effective range from 1/4 pill daily, to 1 pill daily. Some use 1/2 pill daily and that works. Your vet would know best.

He was also on 5mg of prednisolone (or prednisone) daily. Again, I know nothing about hyper-t and pred, but if cancer is suspected, pred is often prescribed to improve the quality of kitty's life. :heart2:

We also assist-fed him when he was feeling "off." He always felt better afterwards, and actually seemed to enjoy being assist-fed: he wanted the food, but didn't want to have to taste it, I guess. :dk:

We also used a lot of different "toppers" on his wet food to entice him to eat on his own. Yes, we wasted food, but it was all worth it! We used mostly freeze dried meat or liver treats - they're easy to powder (to crumble over the top of canned food), and the proteins we used were chicken, beef, or lamb liver (by Etta Says!), or Whole Life chicken, lamb (did have to use scissors to "shave" that into small crumbles), and salmon.

Many vibes for you and your kitty! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

michigander55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you LDG for all the info. As of tonight the vet has taken away the heart med and cut back the water pill med to 1/4-1/2 two times a day. We'll see how she is in the morning and hoping she gets me up to feed her like she use to.

Our vet is very in touch with how we feel about our furry family members and calls us every day. Will see what she says tomorrow.

michigander55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As of today 3/22/13, I so HAPPY to say our girl Tee has improved!! She started eating on her own Sunday but as most of you would understand I was happy yet guarded. We started her on Prednisone Saturday night and by her second dose Sunday we could see day and night difference. As of now we continue to hope & pray for her continuing to heal and many more years of blessing us with her presence.

michigander55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
With very heavy hearts and many tears we had to say goodbye to our beloved Tee this afternoon @ 5:30 EST. The fluid had built up again and she could hardly breathe. Her little heart would not have lasted and she was not comfortable. She was the best kitty for 13 years and will be missed terribly. My heart is broken & the tears won't stop. So sad

michigander55

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
With very heavy hearts and many tears we had to say goodbye to our beloved Tee this afternoon @ 5:30 EST. The fluid had built up again and she could hardly breathe. Her little heart would not have lasted and she was not comfortable. She was the best kitty for 13 years and will be missed terribly. My heart is broken & the tears won't stop. So sad

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am very, very sorry for your loss and send out my deepest condolences. Just heartbreaking. :sniffle: My heart goes out to you, hun. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry. :heart2: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: You surely saved her from a lot of pain and suffering. :heart2:

My thoughts are with you during this difficult time. :grphug2: :grphug2: :grphug2: :grphug2: :grphug2:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.