Possible Breed

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's a cutie.

A ragdoll is a specific large long hair pointed cat, typically with a Bicolor coat pattern. Other then the coloring, which in and of itself is not indicitive of the breed because that coloring could come from anywhere, I would not say Ragdoll. Ragdolls tend to be more solid looking cats; bigger in general but with a very solid appearance. Inexperienced cat people, and especially those with no desire to breed properly within guidelines or regulations, will often label anything pointed and fluffy as Ragdoll. So it isn't suprising that you would be told that. The truth of the matter is there are very few cats out there with any definite purebred mix in their lineage even if they share coloring or appearance with a breed. Breeding of cats within specific lines just isn't old enough or as widespread as dogs if you look at population sizes, distribution, etc. In the dog world nearly every dog comes from a specific working line at some point in the past with indicators of that. Not to mention the breeds themselves often have very little genetic variance so they tend to have strong and defined features. In the cat world the opposite it true with most cats being a generic mix of whatever is most widely seen in that geographic region and a few isolated populations without having any human interference in breeding. So you end up with millions of generic cats in the world and a handful of actual purposefully bred specific lines, the purebred cats. Simply, there aren't enough purebred cats out there to spread their lines as far as people sometimes claim.

That said, the shape and size of the face your little guy makes me think there is some Persian in the mix along with the pointed color means possibly Himalayan. It's one of those features that are usually only seen in cats with a purebred heritage somewhere in the line, but it could be several generations bback. Technically without papers he would be a seal point long hair domestic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Faycharaf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's a cutie.

A ragdoll is a specific large long hair pointed cat, typically with a Bicolor coat pattern. Other then the coloring, which in and of itself is not indicitive of the breed because that coloring could come from anywhere, I would not say Ragdoll. Ragdolls tend to be more solid looking cats; bigger in general but with a very solid appearance. Inexperienced cat people, and especially those with no desire to breed properly within guidelines or regulations, will often label anything pointed and fluffy as Ragdoll. So it isn't suprising that you would be told that. The truth of the matter is there are very few cats out there with any definite purebred mix in their lineage even if they share coloring or appearance with a breed. Breeding of cats within specific lines just isn't old enough or as widespread as dogs if you look at population sizes, distribution, etc. In the dog world nearly every dog comes from a specific working line at some point in the past with indicators of that. Not to mention the breeds themselves often have very little genetic variance so they tend to have strong and defined features. In the cat world the opposite it true with most cats being a generic mix of whatever is most widely seen in that geographic region and a few isolated populations without having any human interference in breeding. So you end up with millions of generic cats in the world and a handful of actual purposefully bred specific lines, the purebred cats. Simply, there aren't enough purebred cats out there to spread their lines as far as people sometimes claim.

That said, the shape and size of the face your little guy makes me think there is some Persian in the mix along with the pointed color means possibly Himalayan. It's one of those features that are usually only seen in cats with a purebred heritage somewhere in the line, but it could be several generations bback. Technically without papers he would be a seal point long hair domestic.
Thank you for such an informative post!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Faycharaf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From the pictures, I think he's actually a blue point (with white).
Is that a type of ragdoll? Sorry I’m not really familiar with cat breeds.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He is sooner a dollface persian look alike. Prob even fairly purebred. Coloring as mentioned earlier blue point and white bicolor.

You may alternatively call him for a himalayan whom are pointed persians.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I agree, with his flat face, I think that there is definitely a strong possibility that he has some Persian in him! He’s adorable!