Possible Bee Sting? Swelling of nose bridge

m8son

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Sophie spends most the day lounging on the deck, when I just let her inside I noticed her nose bridge is swelling to the point where it is covering her eyes a bit. I cannot find a stinger.
Her behavior seems normal so far, but I do not know how long it's been or if it even is a sting. She is only about 5.5-6 pounds.
Any advice on what to do or what to look for? And at what point an emergency visit is needed if at all?
I've attached a before picture also

Attachments

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a little hard to see, but I think I see what you are looking at. Can you get a photo from the side, by any chance? I'm wondering if there is a noticeable bump from the side (that's often an easier way to see swelling).

First of all, you won't find a stinger in the event of a wasp sting. Not that I am sure this is a sting, just pointing that out.

A swollen nose bridge can also be a sign of rhinitis, or sinus congestion. Any other symptoms of that?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

m8son

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's a little hard to see, but I think I see what you are looking at. Can you get a photo from the side, by any chance? I'm wondering if there is a noticeable bump from the side (that's often an easier way to see swelling).

First of all, you won't find a stinger in the event of a wasp sting. Not that I am sure this is a sting, just pointing that out.

A swollen nose bridge can also be a sign of rhinitis, or sinus congestion. Any other symptoms of that?
She is sleeping so with her eyes closed its even harder to tell now, I think the swelling might have already gone down somewhat.
There is no symptoms of anything else, her behavior is totally normal. She even wanted back out after eating. My deck is swarmed with bees for some reason this year so I am almost positive it had to be those, they've never bothered her before though.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It's a little hard to see
I agree, I couldn't detect anything from the pic on the bridge of her nose either. However, if your deck is swarming with bees I'd recommend keeping Sophie inside. Better to be safe than sorry. 😉 You may want to be proactive and call your vet for advice in case this happens again.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I see the swelling you are talking about in the picture. I would get her seen by a vet if it is still there this morning. Sure, it could be a bee sting, but it’s hard to imagine one could get her there.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
cmshap cmshap . neely neely in the first picture if you look at her eyes you see her nose area is wider kind of swelling sideways towards her eyes compared to the second picture which is more narrow between the eyes.. I hope that helps you guys see it a little better

M m8son how is your kitty doing today? Did the swelling subside? If not I'd try to get her in with a vet to see what is going on especially because like S silent meowlook mentioned I really don't know how a bee would have gotten her there without her trying to swat or bite at a bee.

Are there any bees or wasps on your porch? Or any hives? That would make you think it is a sting from a bee? You would need to check under the porch as well.

Poor little lady she is a cutie. Please keep us posted.

m8son

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
cmshap cmshap . neely neely in the first picture if you look at her eyes you see her nose area is wider kind of swelling sideways towards her eyes compared to the second picture which is more narrow between the eyes.. I hope that helps you guys see it a little better

M m8son how is your kitty doing today? Did the swelling subside? If not I'd try to get her in with a vet to see what is going on especially because like S silent meowlook mentioned I really don't know how a bee would have gotten her there without her trying to swat or bite at a bee.

Are there any bees or wasps on your porch? Or any hives? That would make you think it is a sting from a bee? You would need to check under the porch as well.

Poor little lady she is a cutie. Please keep us posted.
She is back to normal, the swelling went away completely only a few hours after my posting. I have plans to remove the bees using non-poisonous methods for both my cat and my peace of mind. Thank you for asking!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is back to normal, the swelling went away completely only a few hours after my posting. I have plans to remove the bees using non-poisonous methods for both my cat and my peace of mind. Thank you for asking!
Ok awesome. I'm really glad the swelling went away so quick. Do you know where the bees are coming from? If not make sure you look under the deck they might have a hive on underside of the deck boards. Hopefully you don't have too many. If you have a cool night coming up like tonight we have a cool night coming. It would be the best time to try to get rid of them because they tend to be a lot slower if they even try to come out to protect their hive

m8son

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok awesome. I'm really glad the swelling went away so quick. Do you know where the bees are coming from? If not make sure you look under the deck they might have a hive on underside of the deck boards. Hopefully you don't have too many. If you have a cool night coming up like tonight we have a cool night coming. It would be the best time to try to get rid of them because they tend to be a lot slower if they even try to come out to protect their hive
Yeah it seems like they've got a couple nests between the lights on the wall of the house, and possibly the gutters. Tonight I have a dawn soap and hot water mixture with a sprayer that I will use, the soap has worked amazingly for me in the past with excessive amounts of box elder bugs om my deck, and according to others I've talked to it works great for bees too while being totally non-poisonous for the animals and humans.

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah it seems like they've got a couple nests between the lights on the wall of the house, and possibly the gutters. Tonight I have a dawn soap and hot water mixture with a sprayer that I will use, the soap has worked amazingly for me in the past with excessive amounts of box elder bugs om my deck, and according to others I've talked to it works great for bees too while being totally non-poisonous for the animals and humans.
I'll have to remember that for if and when we wind up getting bees.. thank you for that information. So it's just dawn dish soap and hot water? I hate using any type of harsh chemicals. So this is great to know for future references. Again thank you so much.

m8son

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll have to remember that for if and when we wind up getting bees.. thank you for that information. So it's just dawn dish soap and hot water? I hate using any type of harsh chemicals. So this is great to know for future references. Again thank you so much.
No problem, I think when I originally looked it up it said 10 oz of hot water to 2 oz of dawn, but as long as you get the water nice and soapy I don't think you really have to be that exact. Definitely much better than opting for the poison

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No problem, I think when I originally looked it up it said 10 oz of hot water to 2 oz of dawn, but as long as you get the water nice and soapy I don't think you really have to be that exact. Definitely much better than opting for the poison
100% way better than poisons and harsh chemicals. We don't really have bees and wasps but my inlaws do and they have dogs that go in and out so that will be a very safe option for them especially. I already texted my mother in law and told her 😀

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
If the nest was in live wood like a tree i would sugest a blowtorch but not if its on the house.

We had bald faced hornets in the cedars last year and our neighbour came with his blowtorch and burned the little buggers. Bald faced hornets are worse than wasps or bees, the activly chase unprovoked.

They also build nests the size of a basketball.