great news (good to hear she didnt kill herself on the way to the vet
)
healing vibes from canada

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zinnia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No news from Monsieur Vet as yet. She had a really good day yesterday, she ate nearly a whole dinner and followed me around, but I'm wondering if she 'overdid it' as today she's uninterested in everything excpet sleeping in the sun.

She doesnt seem to be in pain now, her third eyelid is normal. But she still feels sick. I really hope this is a virus and not renal failure. Is there anything I can do if it is? ... Gulp...

thanks everybody, all the love vibes are received and thanked xx

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zinnia

But she still feels sick. I really hope this is a virus and not renal failure. Is there anything I can do if it is? ... Gulp...

thanks everybody, all the love vibes are received and thanked xx
Yes there is a lot you can do if it's renal failure! Please go to the site I gave you a link to - www.felinecrf.org. It discusses the related issues, the treatments and medications, diet changes etc. I can give you the briefest synopsis: diet needs to be lower in phosphorous, and depending on stage, lower in protein (some debate on that versus feeding better quality protein), potassium levels tend to drop so a potassium supplement may be necessary. Phosphorous levels tend to go too high, so a binder (can be bought as a powder to mix in the food) may need to be used. Dehydration is an issue, many (depends on the stage of kidney failure) do sub-q fluids at home daily or every other day or every third - depends on what your vet advises. Nausea due to increased stomach acid is an issue, famotidine (pepcid) is one medication that can be used - so is slippery elm bark powder.
Constipation secondary to the dehyration can be an issue - the site I gave above, truly goes over all of this, including holistic approach treatments, and it's written for europeans (with some sources) as well as us usa folks.

Hopefully it is not kidney failure, but if it is, and it's early, there really is a lot you can do. My patrick has been living with this for over 3 years now (my sweetie boy!).

zinnia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everybody

OK, results are in and its tick fever. Gulp. She's had the necessary shots and luckily I had actually been doing all the things I needed to do, so there's a blessing! And bless you all for encouraging me to get over my own fears and get her down the doc's! Now she feels nauseous because of the medicine - poor thing, one thing after another!

But she's eating, she's perkier, a bit p.o'd, but coming back to herself.

Thanks for the link re renal failure. Sorry I missed it earlier due to mere human frailties (STRESS!!!!). ALL the help really was hugely hugely appreciated.
Another success for the Cat Site!

Love and light to all, especially da furries.

xxx

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad it's not kidney failure! and that you have an answer and that she's starting to feel better....Yay!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a relief! My Persil tested positive for erlichiosis caused by ticks, and I am especially vigilant now with the Frontline, which kills the ticks before they can cause damage. It is very nasty as it can cause bone marrow damage if not discovered. I got a huge sheep tick off Dushka a few weeks ago, but although it was hanging on, it was dead. I do hope you find Sophie is her old self very soon.

zinnia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everybody!

She's feeling much better and can't seem to eat enough now. I'm having to remind her of her waterbowl, but she is drinking too.

Now I just have to get her medicine down her each morning. I used to grind up her pills and mix them with a bit of vegemite (she luuuurves that stuff), but now she's unreliable about when she'll eat I'm having to do it the old-fashioned way ie catching her, put her between my knees on the ground, hold her mouth open, put pill at the back and hold her closed so she swallows. she's a crafty little thing and has been known to store pills in her cheek anbd spit them out later. So I'm super-vigilant! but she gets really hacked off by it - understandably, and knows what I'm planning each morning.

Sigh..

8 days to go!

love and pats to all xxx

zinnia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone

Just an update. Today was Sophie's last day of medication (we are all releived about that!) and she is soooo much better! she still has wobbly back legs (part of the tick thing) but she is cheeky again and much more herself. She is still a little too obsessed with her dinner, and lunch, and breakfast, and snacks...most unlike her... but I'm just happy she's interested in food again. I've started saying No as she's nearly back to full weight! Hurrah! Thanks and congratulations everyone!

Much love from me and Sophie (and her bro, Syd!) xxxx