poor stressed Midnight

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Midnight is very stressed after being alone for 9 days while I was away. The neighbour lady came to feed her and pet her daily, but she is acting very weird and possessive- each time she loses sight of me she starts to cry and wail. Even when I go to the bathroom, which she used to follow me into... now she just sits in the room crying for me desperately.

Poor baby seems terrified, and she's changed her purr to a very loud one like a big engine. would this go away eventually? I'm really worried for her

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Give her lots of play and cuddles, but not too much of the 'there, there' stuff as she'll think her response is correct and that she has something to worry about!  Feliway diffusers and flower essences could be helpful to (and it's good to use them while you're away as well).

She's only a little thing and she's so thrilled to have her mum back. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just had an awful night with her. Even when she was a baby she wouldn't meow for attention at night... nor would she get scared when I got out of the room. Need that feliway diffuser badly...I got no sleep

ioana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I left my cat with my husband for 10 days. He missed me alot...to the point where the last days he stoped eating. My cat is very quite, unless hes really hungry...but when i came home he was very vocal...and this went on for some time. Of course, the first nights I didn't get much sleep since he asked for play alot. My cat also didn't followed me around like he used to the first couple of days, maybe he was mad at me. Now he is the usual self...but u have to give it time. She missed you, specialy because she was alone. But she will learn that you aren't leaving her and she will start going into her rutine again. Give her time, lots of love and play time...and she will be ok. This was my experiance and I hope its a bit of help.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
She'll probably settle down in a few days. I generally plan to be home for several days after we're away, because IME your cat is going to stick to you like glue before she decides you're not simply going to disappear again.

Mogli just got back yesterday from being boarded for a week, and he's barely let me out of his sight and constantly wants to cuddle. He did that the last time, too. Our last cat had a sitter whenever we went away, and he still needed reassurance when we got back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

soopermouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oh, she sticks to me like glue- poor baby. Today is her birthday, she is 5 months old so she's gonna get lots of chicken tikka and nice tuna. I have to think about getting her spayed soon.

I am just upset because I feel that I have let her down, but what choice is there? A cattery can be very distressing, at least at home she has all her things...

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
oh, she sticks to me like glue- poor baby. Today is her birthday, she is 5 months old so she's gonna get lots of chicken tikka and nice tuna. I have to think about getting her spayed soon.

I am just upset because I feel that I have let her down, but what choice is there? A cattery can be very distressing, at least at home she has all her things...
Please don't feel guilty.  Just love her to pieces and she'll do it right back