Poor Pengy thread is gone

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's a great update!
Certainly she must know it's you stroking her? It sounds like she likes to be near you, and that's got to be a welcome change.

Good girl Pengy!

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I also wanted to note how remarkable I think it is that your cat family is so good to Pengy. Do you think that is typical of cat families -- that they would respect a disabled sibling -- or is it unusual? In any case, it is very heartwarming.
I said I was proud of Michele and Pengy but I'm also proud of the rest of your feline family, particularly Esse for being such a good sister to Pengy!

noni

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
O.K., so an amazing thing happened last night

I was laying in bed, ready to turn over and sleep; Esse was snuggled up against my leg, and Pengy was tucked into a ball, lightly resting against my foot, her bum against Esse's bum. I looked down, and decided to stroke Esse for a bit, to turn on her motor before I went to sleep. I managed to realign my upper body so I could reach her without moving my leg, and just petted her for a bit.

I realized Pengy hadn't moved at all, and I moved my petting from Esse's head to her bum. Remembe, her bum and Pengy's were against each other. And so, I let my fingers stray a bit while petting Esse, and petted Pengy. Pengy didn't move, didn't even open her eyes. Her breathing didn't change, either. So I progressed to only petting Pengy...Esse didn't mind. I petted Pengy for easily 3 minutes before she opened her eyes, glared at me, and shifted slightly. So I went back to petting Esse for a bit, and then rolled over and went to sleep. Although, not quickly...I laid there, marveling at Pengy and her silky fur, her sweetness, and her trust...

Right now, as I type this, Abby and Pengy are sharing the kitchen window, rejoicing in the spring sunshine.

How great she is...I am not sure she knew it was me, at least not at first. But I think she likely figured it out a bit before she moved, because she didn't jump and bolt as I would've expected her to had it surprised her.

Maybe, if this sort of surreptitious petting goes on, Pengy will eventually realize hat human hands aren't always bad, aren't always dangerous, and can bring comfort and love. At least, I hope so.

Anyway, I just had to let all of you know about this event. It was, indeed, an event.

Best to all-
Michele

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow!! That is quite a development! It makes me so happy that Pengy is becoming more and more part of your family -- sharing space and now, more and more, affection and touch. It's just wonderful.
(good tears)

francoise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Michelle!

What an event! I am so happy! Pengy is figuring out at her own pace that you love her, and she's figuring out that she loves you too.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can say is WOW! I've been away for a while (very busy at work) with just quick lurks here and there. Today, I finally got the time to catch up on this thread, and I'm sitting here at my desk in tears.

You've done a wonderful job with her! If patience is a virtue, then Michelle, you're up for sainthood!

Again...WOW! I'm speechless!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to say, for about the billionth time, Yay Pengy!!! It's probably hard to remember when, before the crash, her thread was titled, "The cat who lives under my bed"! Look at her now! Back then, you probably couldn't imagine that one day she would be sleeping on your bed, and you would be able to run your fingers through her fur, or see her sitting in your window, idly watching the world go by, never questioning that she is "home". What a gift she is.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Michelle, I bet her fur felt 100 times as good as you had anticipated! I remember you saying you were waiting for the day when you could touch her. This is so wonderful.

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh my!!! What a month Pengy had last month!! And what sorts of things are to come? she's safe, and she's learning to be happy, michele, No one but you could have given her that!

lucinda

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just finished reading the Pengy thread. HOW IS SHE??? Inquireing minds want to know! Come on now, I'm gonna have to go into rehab soon....

What an amazing story about an amazing cat and an amazing woman.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Michele:

I'm not around much anymore, but I just had to stop by the ferals forum to see what's been up. And - well - what is there to say but I'm just so thrilled for you and Pengy! She's playing - freely, carelessly! She's sharing space with her cat-mates! She's into the "normal" cat routine in your home! She sleeps on your bed! - and more importantly, WITH YOU IN IT. - and last and certainly not the least, SHE PLAYS BLANKET WAR!!!!!!! ...and...you're petting her! OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm just bursting with happiness for you both!

All my best wishes - and scritches to Pengy, lol!

Laurie

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Michelle, I wanted to add one quick thing. I'm not surprised to hear your kitties wait, patiently, for Pengy to be done playing. We've experienced the same thing with Ming Loy. Her back leg and hip muscles don't work very well, and she can't walk very far before falling over. I joked a few weeks after adopting her that we should have named her "thumpy" - well - you sure know why, lol! She can't jump well, but she can climb. But she can't climb back down - so those really loud THUMPS used to terrify us, but they don't seem to hurt her. She thumps up and down the stairs - incredibly rapidly! And she "thumps" into everything - mostly the floor. But it clearly doesn't hurt her. In fact, like Pengy, she seems quite unphased by her handicap.

She quickly developed the habit of walking from object to object - that way she stays propped up. And she'll use us and the other cats as one of her "prop objects." The first time we saw her do it, Shelly clearly looked a little taken aback - but he didn't object. In fact, all of the cats seemed to accept her oddity this way (except for Spooky, but she always takes months longer than anyone else to be OK with a newbie). And, like your gang, they wait for her to play before they battle it out for possession of the wand toy.

So... I really think they do understand she's handicapped. It's the only thing that explains our kitties' behavior towards Ming Loy!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure it must be time. But I haven't seen Michele around for quite a while...Michele...MiCHELE....MICHELE! Where aaaaare yooooooooou?