Poor Pengy thread is gone

chester&piper

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh wow Michelle. That brought tears to my eyes. What a heavanly sound that must have been!
Pengy sure has come a long way! Yay Pengy!!
And Yay! to you Michele for having the patience and not giving up on her.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Okay, I had to read that post twice...just to savor it, ya know?

It's so great to hear such a heartwarming update on Pengy.
All that hard work and patience has done it's job. Nicely done Michelle!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Heavens, I think I will have to re-read your post many times as it is so wonderful. What a special kitty Pengy is and what a remarkable person you are to have had the patience and love to bring her so far.

I'm so happy to hear that wonderful news.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awesome, Michele!!! Just awesome! How very lovely that she is that kind of comfortable, and able to just enjoy herself. She's an amazing kitty, who fell into the lap of an amazing human. You know something? You two really do deserve each other!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG Michele! I've got tears in my eyes just reading that too. What a special, special event! I can't imagine how thrilled you were to hear her sweet voice. Talking and playing - that's the sign of a very contented kitty.

huggles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
oh WOW Michele!!! thats simply amazing and it brought tears to my eyes as well
she just keeps on getting better and better!! we always knew she was a brave sweet girl

now Abby - who is Abby... what have I missed. Best go do a search to find out

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(good tears)

I was so excited when I got an e-mail notice that there was an update to this thead (I'm a subscriber) and am now, simply beside myself with joy to have read the good news. Pengy is a cat again -- given her history, maybe for the first time ever. You are an angel, Michele.

noni

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everyone. I know I've been scarce lately, but it's been pretty rough in my home over the last few months. But...man, when Pengy decides to get moving forward, she doesn't stop.

Last night, I was fast asleep (catching up on some much needed rest). I was totally wonked out. For whatever reason, I felt a cold nose poke my eye, and as soon as I opened my eye (the house was still dark - it must've been about 4 am), whichever cat it was bolted. I was trying to figure out who it was; there was white on her face...which means it was either Pie, Abby, or Pengy. Well, Pie wouldn't have bolted, and Abby is the queen of headbutts...which leaves...well, Pengy. She would've bolted. She would have bailed right off the bed as soon as I moved. But I've NEVER seen her on the bed...and I've never even really thought that she'd get up there. So I'm left to wonder...was it Pengy? Or was it Abby? Dunno for sure, but if it's Pengy, that's a gigantic step...and one I hope she makes someday (even if she didn't already).

She was so cute today...Pie and Abby were mixing it up (they're the only ones still tussling it out...) under my roomie's camp cot in the living room. The bed was bouncing around as those two hissed and yowled at each other...and out comes Pengy, ready to referree the fight. She comes charging into the front room; looks to the exact spot they're fighting at, and sits there, crouched and so very alert; ears forward and tailstub twitching. The rest of the cats were "oh well, they'll work it out..." but Pengy - all she wanted to do was see what was happening.

And I've also got to mention that Miss Pengy is, instead of in her spot on the sofa, she's in the Papa-san chair. Well, so what? The so-what is that the sofa is warm, comfortable, and awa from me, whereas the Papasan is within arm's reach of where I am sitting right this moment as I type this. And she's watching me. She's been here for the last 30ish minutes, and whenever our eyes meet, I close mine and look away. It looks like she might be falling asleep there...which would be adorable.

Just thought I'd let you know she's doing that whole leap forward thing again...and how cool. How wonderfully cool.

Best-
Michele

So I'm not at all sure what's happening, but it's looking like she's more and more comfortable with me every day.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Michelle, Michelle, you know we can never get enough new updates on Pengy. What a miracle you have wrought. My heart just jumps when I read your wonderful news.

Please keep those updates coming in.

What a wonderful animal Pengy is. What a brave, special girl.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Michelle, Michelle, you know we can never get enough new updates on Pengy. What a miracle you have wrought. My heart just jumps when I read your wonderful news.

Please keep those updates coming in.

What a wonderful animal Pengy is. What a brave, special girl.
Couldn't have said it better. More lovely tears to start the day!

(we need a "happy tears" smiley)

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh how precious!! our pengy (I hope you don't mind that she's been claimed by the entire community) is doing so well!! It make my heart full to bursting in pride of our litle girl! and the mewling and the poking AWWWWW.

noni

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about it, and decided to see if I couldn't determine if it was Abby or Pengy. I bundled Abby into my arms, and brought her into the bedroom. I laid down on the bed...Abby was struggling and fighting and totally not a happy cat. I laid there, reassuring her and cuddling with her, but once I took my arms away to see if she'd stay or walk around on the bed, nope. She took off...didn't want to be in the bedroom at all.

Now, I know this doesn't mean anything, really. I know that there will never be a way to know whose nose was touching my eye. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't Abby, based on I've never seen her in the bedroom, and when brought in there, she was totally uncomfortable...and if it was Pie, well, she likes to lay down and turn on the lamp. So I really don't think it was her.

Another thing...as I was thinking about things today, I realized I had put Feliway in both the bedroom and the front room, to calm Abby and Pie out a bit. Maybe Pengy is responding to it with more comfort, too? Maybe...maybe.

Dunno. Just that she's out right now, and hanging out by the coffee table...playing with something or other over there.

Jcat, you might be right...she may have come over that last barrier. And if not, she's sitting on the fence.

Denise, I also think she's a community cat; while she lives here, she also belongs to all of us here at TCS...and that's just perfect.

Hugs to all - including all the cats!
Michele

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my Michele! What updates you have given us!!

It wouldn't surprise me if Pengy had chosen night time when you were sleeping soundly to make that first contact. It's quiet then; it's dark and she knows instictively that she has the advantage in the dark...and you are unconscious. LOL Totally not a threat to her when you are sleeping. But even still...that a huge leap of bravery for her!! WAY TO GO PENGY!!

And of course, it is all due to the patience of a saint that you have! The willingness to let Pengy be Pengy, to let her emerge from behind that wall she's built up in her own time. You are both just amazing!

noni

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And of course, it is all due to the patience of a saint that you have! The willingness to let Pengy be Pengy, to let her emerge from behind that wall she's built up in her own time. You are both just amazing!
*She* is amazing...I'm not. I was the one who stuck her head under the bed long ago; I'm the one who's tried to touch her when she wasn't ready for it. Granted, I learned not to (thanks again, Hissy and all others here...), but I wasn't, at first, just letting her be herself.

When I learned how to not invade her space because of what I wanted, and learned how to "ignore" her, that's when the difference started to be made.

She's sitting on the Papa-san chair. I was just thinking, just about this time last year, she was hiding in the cat condo...first floor rear. Looking back, I don't recall her going there much at all this year, and not at all in the last 7-8 months. Instead, she likes to sleep in the rocker or on the chest, and while I'm up and walking around, she's out, too.

Long, long distance she's come...despite me. LOL! I *do* hope it was her the other night; and you're right, Heidi, that's something she'd do (me being unconscious and it's all dark). She'd do something like that, all right...but I'll never know unless I wake up again and she doesn't flee. Someday I'll know what her fur feels like...some day I'll hear her purr. Until then, it's just fine to get nosed in the night, and have her sleep just out of arm's reach on the Papa-san chair. Great strides she's made, and is making.

Best-
M

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Noni

Just that she's out right now, and hanging out by the coffee table...playing with something or other over there.
Michele, it's hard to believe that this is the same cat you described last year --the one who reminded you of Greta Garbo because she "just vants to be alone!"

I believe you will feel her fur and hear her purr someday (soon). When I see how far she's come in this past year, I just know it!

Also, I think you greatly downplay your role in Pengy's therapy. You being there, being patient and loving, providing for her comforts and needs -- well, you are her mom and she is started to show the effects of good mothering. It's just wonderful!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SnowLeop

Also, I think you greatly downplay your role in Pengy's therapy. You being there, being patient and loving, providing for her comforts and needs -- well, you are her mom and she is started to show the effects of good mothering. It's just wonderful!
Michele, you are too modest. So, you stuck your head under the bed in the first place -- you wanted to be friendly and didn't know any better -- but you learned. And over the past year plus, you have done for that cat, among other things, the thing she most needed: you allowed her to be herself, on her terms, no judgement, no apologies, and to discover in her own time that not all humans are to be feared. She is a remarkable, spunky little lady, but she'd still be cowered in that corner, if you hadn't done this and done it well. You're both amazing, and -- I think I said this once before -- you do deserve each other.

noni

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Post Christmas Update.

I had gone to visit my brother and his family for Christmas, and was gone for 4 days. The moment I came home, all 6 cats, including Penguin, came out to greet me, sit with me, and just in general let me know I was missed.

Pengy has been very curious as to the cuddles all the other cats get, and almost approached me. You can see it in her face - she wants some of that lovin' but is still a bit too scared to let it occur.

Last night, as I went to bed, I switched off the big light and turned on the reading light. I got settled on my back, and opened the book. Charlotte was already curled up at my side, and I expected the others to come quickly. It's the nighttime ritual; Charlotte, Esse, Pie, and Simon come up and choose a sleeping spot, get some lovin', and go off to sleep.

So there I was, laying there, Charlotte in place and my book open, and I hear another cat climbing up. Figuring it was Esse, I lifted the book, and...and...well, it wasn't Esse. It was Penguin. She saw me looking, and I closed my eyes immediately...but it was too late. She hopped off. I was so startled and happy. Pengy went over to the window, gave me her back, and ignored me.

Esse came up, got into her spot. Simon came up, and got into his. And I started reading again. And then I felt another cat come back up, find a spot next to my leg, and settle down. Thinking it was Pie, I lifted my book, and nearly had a heart attack...it was Pengy. She had come back up and cuddled into my leg. There is no way she didn't know it was my leg...while I had thought it was Pie, I had adjusted my leg to fit the cat's body better. So she knew.

I laid there, trying to read, tears dripping down my face, wondering how long I would have this blessing, this Christmas miracle. Finally, I started to drift off; must've been a half hour at least after Pengy had laid down. I very slowly and gently rolled over onto my belly, knowing that Pengy would leave now...but no, she stayed. And accepted my leg re-positioning without a problem. In fact, she was there until I fell asleep...and apparently a while longer. She was there when I woke at 6 am...same spot. I have a cold, so I rolled over and went back to sleep; and she was there when I got up at 8:30...same spot.

How amazing this kitty is. How gentle and amazing and courageous. How intensely she's worked on trusting and accepting my care. How great this girl is. To be able to relax against my leg (albeit covered with blankets), and sleep is indeed a glorious thing. Yet another milestone she's achieved. And how great it is.

Just had to update you all...

Best-
Michele

I am still