Poor baby won’t stop scratching her ear

stephmck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, wondering if anyone has any advice!!!
Have an indoor cat aged 12, she has randomly started over scratching her ear to the point it has bled. I don’t see any black wax inside which I’m told is the common giveaway for ear mites. She’s also been flea combed to which nothing showered. She was also flea treated last week (we moved home 2 weeks ago so it was just to ensure she was all good as the previous tenants of our house had an outdoor cat - we did flea bomb the house too but wanted to be safe). I used front line flea treatment so I don’t believe she’s been treated for ear mites as other brands too. She has been at the vets before for over grooming as she’s an anxious cat but this is different, it’s like she’s itchy and uncomfortable. I can see her squirming to try and soothe the itch and when she scratches it she looks relieved but doesn’t stop and cuts herself to . I’ve put a cone on her now to stop it getting worse but really want to help her out as I hate the thought of her being itchy and uncomfortable!

any advice?? Her vets can’t see her right now as they’re doing emergency appointments only at the moment with the current lockdown and I don’t want to leave my baby distressed.

thanks xx
305E6B16-5EF8-43D2-B1B1-7ED875FE6A9F.jpeg
976D5EF9-A795-4EAB-981E-3DF9AF2459AA.jpeg
6CAF5ADC-397B-4123-A18D-C599DDB5B5E4.jpeg
66A187F1-DC52-4261-AC44-5EB2188C7379.jpeg

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Even if your vet is only taking emergency appointments now ask if you can send one of the above pics to them for their opinion. In the meantime, note this tip from Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 about using Chamomile tea to soothe the irritation:
Feline Overgrooming Help

Best of luck and please let us know how she's doing. :alright:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Did this just start with the move back to your house? Any chance there is something in the house that she might be allergic to, given you've only been there two weeks? She could even be allergic to the flea bomb treatment. That, in combination with the move itself might have her more anxious than normal too.

The other thing to consider is an ear infection since it only seems to be one ear involved.